Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever got op-up when flying with children?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Just wondering will CX discriminate you if you travel with a young child (say 3-12 years old) and you notice that CX bypass you for op-up (you are DM but you never get op-up when flying with 3-12 years old.) I can see that happening, but wondering if anyone actually experienced this.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Just wondering will CX discriminate you if you travel with a young child (say 3-12 years old) and you notice that CX bypass you for op-up (you are DM but you never get op-up when flying with 3-12 years old.) I can see that happening, but wondering if anyone actually experienced this.
Hmm.. CX Op-Upped me and my mom on a regional HKG-SUB flight.. I am only a lowly silver..
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
CX does not usually op-up passengers travelling on child ticket or their accompanying adult passenger (if there is only one).
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
Hmm.. CX Op-Upped me and my mom on a regional HKG-SUB flight.. I am only a lowly silver..
But you are an adult I assumed when that happened, or at least fairly old like 13 years or more?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
But you are an adult I assumed when that happened, or at least fairly old like 13 years or more?
Yes.. But I thought if they op-upped 2 adults then certainly children won't be a problem too?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by General_Flyer
Yes.. But I thought if they op-upped 2 adults then certainly children won't be a problem too?
In 2009 I was travelling with my wife, daughter and maid (I was alone on a PNR, wife/daughter on another PNR, maid on a 3rd). I had reached some milestone (I don't remember what) and they wanted to upgrade me. I said what's the point in upgrading me alone without my family? Check in agent made a phone call, said they would upgrade wife as well. I asked what I was supposed to do with my 2 year old daughter. They said they don't upgrade kids and she can stay with the maid.

In the end I declined both upgrades and we all travelled in Y.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
In 2009 I was travelling with my wife, daughter and maid (I was alone on a PNR, wife/daughter on another PNR, maid on a 3rd). I had reached some milestone (I don't remember what) and they wanted to upgrade me. I said what's the point in upgrading me alone without my family? Check in agent made a phone call, said they would upgrade wife as well. I asked what I was supposed to do with my 2 year old daughter. They said they don't upgrade kids and she can stay with the maid.

Hmm.. That is kind of sucky. But thanks for the clarification..
Old Jun 20, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by midlevels
I would have taken it!! I'm sure your daughter wouldn't have minded!

On another note got upgraded 2 years ago from J to F - we were 4 of us in J (but 1 was infant) but they only offered 1 op-up so I paid fair difference for infant seat and sent my wife & infant to F... it is honestly very difficult for an almost 2 year old infant to sit with someone longhaul in the herringbone configuration...
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
A few years ago, my wife and I, both of whom are SLs, along with my two children, aged 15 and 11, were all op-upped Y-J on KUL-HKG. All on the same PNR.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:11 am

I'm travelling from KUL-YYZ soon with my wife and 1 yr old daughter on the same PNR, myself a silver and my wife's a green. In my previous flight when travelling by myself to LHR, I have been op-upped on both the KUL-HKG and HKG-KUL legs without any attempts to get bn1 - both legs were late check-ins.

For this trip, I've gotten the bn1 for both KUL-HKG and HKG-YYZ, so we'll see what happens next.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Yes, on MNL-HKG, spouse, 2 year old, and I were all upgraded to J. Our 2 year old was a month shy of 3 (and sitting in his own herringbone seat). That's the only time the whole family was offered. I have been offered upgrades 3 other times when with the family but always only for one person. In each case I passed the offer to the spouse who wasn't interested.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
About 3 years back I (then Gold) was travelling HKG-MNL in redemption J on the same PNR as my wife and her son. I was upgraded to F at the gate, at which point it would have created quite a delay in the boarding to try to reverse it, so I took it and then offered a seat swap to the person who was then in my previously allocated J seat. The cabin crew were fine with that and the person was quite a happy bunny since she had already been op-upped from Y!

Last edited by christep; Jun 29, 2015 at 11:45 am
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: CX, BA
HKG doesn't op-up small children/infants (quite a number of times, the check-in agent called to check if she could op-up my daughter but to no avail) but you may get lucky at outports. I've found Japan to be most generous.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: CX, BA
you notice that CX bypass you for op-up (you are DM but you never get op-up when flying with 3-12 years old.)
As DM, I noticed they won't automatically bypass you but will inform you that there is an upgrade for you only - even on occasions upgrading me would mean leaving my 5 yr old child alone! (just in case anyone is wondering, I've always declined)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:42 am

We've been upgraded several times traveling on CX - both op-ups and courtesy upgrades - but in the interest of full disclosure the child in question is an 11-year-old EXP (OWE). Clearly, YMMV with a non-status 2-year-old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.