Search

Impressing girls with AM redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Impressing girls with AM redemptions

I know this is absolute nerdspeak, and perhaps outside of FT I might be slapped down, but this is the only place I am comfortable expressing these thoughts.

Have anyone actually impressed their girlfriends/wives/significant others with FFP redemptions? I'm gonna pull off a two-stop holiday of UK and a scandinavian country using AM for my girlfriend and she is really impressed. The itinerary is perfect and compatability of flight dates to our work schedules are to kill for.

We wouldn't think about this routing had not for AM reasons, but actually I would actually happily pay to do the routing now instead of flying direct.

I think you can guess my routing; however, I think my girlfriend knows how to use Google and probably knows I do FT so I better not give her too many keywords.

Of course it's my first time doing this for her. I think the thrill factor will wear off in the future. Or will it?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
It has never worked for me....
Old Jun 15, 2011, 3:26 am

Programs: QF WP
In the near future, she would be mad at you when you don't redeem AM for her, as she would expect to be able to fly free (plus tax/fines) everywhere.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 3:27 am

short term memory... it will wear off, quickly
Old Jun 15, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: CX DM, TG *G, HH DM
It might work...

As long as you use AM for flights or upgrades for your partner, then they tend to be happy (though some see it as compensation for you being away a lot). If you were to use AM to redeem something like a table-lamp or iPod sock, they will very likely be less than impressed!

I have used AM to book flights for the missus on several occasions, and it always goes down well.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 3:42 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I've been saving up miles for a trip with my SO to travel longhaul anywhere in First. I've informed her about it, and to be very honest, she's far more excited about the potential destinations than the flight.

I, on the other hand... I think it's just different priorities. Most likely I'd want to fly HKG-JFK via YVR just to milk the extra time in F.

Don't get me wrong - I know she appreciates travelling in premium cabins because she's always jealous of my getting op-uped when I travel alone. But, I guess, the flight for her is just a way to get from point A to B. Maybe after she flies F she will disagree.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:37 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by midlevels
I've been saving up miles for a trip with my SO to travel longhaul anywhere in First. I've informed her about it, and to be very honest, she's far more excited about the potential destinations than the flight.

I, on the other hand... I think it's just different priorities. Most likely I'd want to fly HKG-JFK via YVR just to milk the extra time in F.

Don't get me wrong - I know she appreciates travelling in premium cabins because she's always jealous of my getting op-uped when I travel alone. But, I guess, the flight for her is just a way to get from point A to B. Maybe after she flies F she will disagree.
My wife felt the same way UNTIL we flew F on BA IAD-LHR-BKK. Now the plane ride is almost as exciting as the destination. We're hoping to go ORD or YYZ - HKG. I haven't thought about JFK-YVR-HKG. I figured 15 -16 hours of uninterrupted F would be the best!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
I'm guessing percysmith's gf(s) must be wondering how he could pull these crazy redemptions off with extreme CC spending and not much flying.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by midlevels

This is exactly what I am doing for my honeymoon trip in the coming Nov! Flying 888/889 to JFK and back.

Its a LOT of miles though....220K for one fully redeemed F!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:56 am

I would've hoped that one could impress girls like George Clooney did to Vera Farmiga in Up in the Air, but most of the responses would probably closer resemble Anna Kendrick's :P
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CX HK
I would've hoped that one could impress girls like George Clooney did to Vera Farmiga in Up in the Air, but most of the responses would probably closer resemble Anna Kendrick's :P
And Cathay doesn't give us the tools for the job! At least with AA you get the Concierge Key to melt Vera Farmiga's heart away (yes I know it does not exist in graphite in real life). Pull out a DM (esp in the Centurion DM era) and you're likely to get dissed...
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:00 pm

The opposite works for me. My wife wants me to save those miles so she can fly her parents (i.e. my in-laws) to US for free.

Oh yeah, she wanted them to fly Business Class...

I used to enjoy them very much for J-class upgrades, but my wife realized I got op-up so much anyway so why waste them (she does have a point...)
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
rule no.1: dont book Y
rule no.2: dont book J
rule no.3: dont book CX or QF or BA

that would solve your problem!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
The opposite works for me. My wife wants me to save those miles so she can fly her parents (i.e. my in-laws) to US for free.

Oh yeah, she wanted them to fly Business Class...
Like DCC, treat your miles as surcharge for getting your wife all to yourself.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Mrs. brenc3 used to grumble when I traveled so much for work.

After taking her on a (FFP redeemed) trip in CX F, there was less grumbling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.