Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impressing girls with AM redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Originally Posted by Connecta
Percy: I use KVS. Have subscribed to Expertflyer, but have yet to get my head around that.
Connecta, you do know that percysmith's real name is not Percy, don't you?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: CX GO, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, PC Plat Amb, MR Gold, Amex Plat
That did work for me! Mrs. m was complaining about my longer flight time after switching to CX from BR, but 3 award ticket to HK on AM and endless waitlist on BR award redemption changed her mind. She now doesn't even want to consider taking any non-OW flight in the future

The only problem is that she would rather save the miles for future award redemption than using them for J or F...Now I am stucked in flying Y when on award travel...Any solutions?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Well, he spends too much. If I recall, conversion to AM will be at a huge loss. He can consider BA.
isnt it all 15 MR to a AM? +a 300 HKD fee?
he should bank some in hotels. he would be able to stay at some exotic places.... (IC, St Regis, Conrad)
this way he get less AM! (btw, moving 534000 MR to Priority club will get him plat status if he isnt already one)
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:45 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kchika
Connecta, you do know that percysmith's real name is not Percy, don't you?
Goodness no. I'll live in anonymity for a while. But I think girlfriend will find out my handle sooner or later.

Anyway consider whether this is a disaster - girlfriend took the Europe romp off the table and substituted it for a nature scenery holiday that looks grafted out of TVB.

Quite clearly she's been planning this for some time. She already has books and recommendations. But from my POV even getting looted for Paris/Tokyo shopping trip doesn't look so painful now.

The holiday itself has been cut in half. The place we're going is so close, I could (and rather) sail there in a dinghy. And forget about using miles - the ticket costs so little it doesn't even meet my $0.1/mile threshhold for using them.

I was wallowing so much last night I needed a drink with friends @LKF. They've no idea why I'm in grief. But you guys understand my pain, don't you?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You need a drink with us percysmith. It's Friday!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by mizuou
The only problem is that she would rather save the miles for future award redemption than using them for J or F...Now I am stucked in flying Y when on award travel...Any solutions?
If you found any, let me know. At least you get to enjoy your award redemptions, I have to watch mine go to my in-laws....
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You need a drink with us percysmith. It's Friday!
Got to go see a movie tonight. At least it something I may like.

Hard to summon the energy level to appear enthusiastic about this trip tho. I'm worried about looking like I have the snooze button permanently on about the trip these few days (or when we actually go).
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
Got to go see a movie tonight. At least it something I may like.

Hard to summon the energy level to appear enthusiastic about this trip tho. I'm worried about looking like I have the snooze button permanently on about the trip these few days (or when we actually go).
whoops. well, try this. go to scotland. it will set you off to get both and heck you'd get some very good us of points!
make sure you make a stop over at amsterdam to have a relaxing puff on your way back, think of how much tax you've dumped at the same time.

well, push ur plan through. if the tickets works out then the trip wont be TOO expensive. (Afterall you're in the middle of highlands and its hard to splurge there. your car rental migh cost the most. I have done with a Ford Ka with 4 ppl overtaking trucks.any other car would be useless cuz you'd be stuck behind some full sized trucks) and she, being a girl, would be impressed. (I think she isnt even looking at Taiwan now, are you? and heck, get a different handle. I see the same name everywhere)

I think you need to plan for trips in South America (or you'd need to make do with having her in LATAM/SAM for some time!). At least you get to see more than just Avenue des Champs-Elysee! Be happy!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Alternatively, your radar should now be on the French and Italian Riveria hugging the coast all the way down to Pisa, Switzerland, and the Nordic Islands. Or you can throw in Budapest and some places in the south of Czech (Cesky Krumlov at winter)

Watch out for a sore bum sitting in the car for too long!
Actually you can PM me if this is down the way you want.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
don't tell me it is SYX or XMN, if that's the case I won't go at all LOL
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
Alternatively, your radar should now be on the French and Italian Riveria hugging the coast all the way down to Pisa, Switzerland, and the Nordic Islands. Or you can throw in Budapest and some places in the south of Czech (Cesky Krumlov at winter)

Watch out for a sore bum sitting in the car for too long!
Actually you can PM me if this is down the way you want.
This is the holiday we should be doing given the amt of (obligatory) leave we both have! Instead I've got the middle of the Emerald Isle which I really can't get enthusiastic about. I know some people can, but it's just not me.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
don't tell me it is SYX or XMN, if that's the case I won't go at all LOL
I'm a lot more enthusiastic about SYX. Good excuse to not go out and beach up at the Boao resort, maybe get her started on gxxx. No resort option for central Emerald Isle (note I'm using the Emerald Isle term for a reason).
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:32 pm
Suspended

This is the holiday we should be doing given the amt of (obligatory) leave we both have! Instead I've got the middle of the Emerald Isle which I really can't get enthusiastic about. I know some people can, but it's just not me.
be a man and overule her decision!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:33 pm
Suspended

(note I'm using the Emerald Isle term for a reason)
does wikipedia help?...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
My wife was happy when I used miles on BA to fly her and the rest of our family to Greece and Starpoints for the Grand Bretagne in Athens. There was a BA promotion for Gold members to get seats in premium economy at coach mileage redemption rates. Wife and daughter decided to change dates and stop in London for a few days (with no change fees). BA upgraded son and me to J and then upgraded all of us on the way back. She was very impressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.