Impressing girls with AM redemptions

Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by brenc3
Mrs. brenc3 used to grumble when I traveled so much for work.

After taking her on a (FFP redeemed) trip in CX F, there was less grumbling.
You bribed you wife!!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
You bribed you wife!!
Compare with other "brides" that you possibly need to give out (those bags, rings, whatever) the miles are much less painful I bet
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Nope, because my wife got AM too.

But she was really impressed when I got free op-up for her, her brother and his girlfriend. Yes, all 4 of us got op-up on a flight from CTS to HKG
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kirintea
But she was really impressed when I got free op-up for her, her brother and his girlfriend. Yes, all 4 of us got op-up on a flight from CTS to HKG
Had it been on the outbound you would've scored more times than skiing.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Compare with other "brides" that you possibly need to give out (those bags, rings, whatever) the miles are much less painful I bet
Better than her having your AM/MPO account and password, adding her girlfriends as well as herself to the five slots of your redemption group, then looting your miles for a shopping trip to Tokyo or Paris without you.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by percysmith
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Better than her having your AM/MPO account and password, adding her girlfriends as well as herself to the five slots of your redemption group, then looting your miles for a shopping trip to Tokyo or Paris without you.
Or even worse: all above plus paid by Your supplementary card lol
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: CX DM, TG *G, HH DM
How to make this thread invisible?

This thread is getting dangerous, bordering on the subversive

Far too many good ideas in here for Significant Others to pick up on and make their own! So is there a way to make this thread invisible to all SOs out there?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Viking
This thread is getting dangerous, bordering on the subversive

Far too many good ideas in here for Significant Others to pick up on and make their own! So is there a way to make this thread invisible to all SOs out there?
Change all our MPO PINs every 6 hours and tell card company to alert you about any foreign or card-not-present (that includes cathaypacific.com trying to charge surcharges) charges on the subsid card.

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 16, 2011 at 3:18 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:57 am
Original Poster

BTW can I ask what's the best way to check OW [CX/BA/AY] award loads on various dates please? Is it Expertflyer or KVS or?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub
Percy: I use KVS. Have subscribed to Expertflyer, but have yet to get my head around that.

But yeah, mix of all points above:

- Redeemed J on HKG-JFK-HKG, trying to get on the new Cirrus product, with seats already booked (once together in the middle), return at windows.
- Redeemed F on HKG-SFO-HKG, with 1A/K on 744 for wedding anniversary.

She is CX GL herself as I got a deal with my company before, paying her all eco fares to join me for travel longer than 2 weeks. But that deal is off since my trips are shorter and she will drop to SL end of this month. We will miss that a lot, especially with the convenience to book guaranteed eco seats for public holidays on very short notice.

But she thinks as well that we shouldn't waste the miles and that at least F wasn't really necessary. But very first F experience is still coming up - will be spoilt for life I guess...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: QFF Silver; CO Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm gonna pull off a two-stop holiday of UK and a scandinavian country using AM for my girlfriend and she is really impressed.

What does your wife think ?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KemperBoyd
What does your wife think ?
Fortunately, honest to God, I don't have one. And enjoying it.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Its depressing to know that many people in HK have lots of miles.. and I mean lots of miles!

I just found out today that my cousin banks all of his business transactions on to his Centurion amex card and he has around 20 million MR miles which he wants to turn into Asia miles.

He's planning a RTW trip with his family and was asking me for ideas!

I was depressed after that..
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Its depressing to know that many people in HK have lots of miles.. and I mean lots of miles!

I just found out today that my cousin banks all of his business transactions on to his Centurion amex card and he has around 20 million MR miles which he wants to turn into Asia miles.

He's planning a RTW trip with his family and was asking me for ideas!

I was depressed after that..
Well, he spends too much. If I recall, conversion to AM will be at a huge loss. He can consider BA.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
So in summary is appears as though the best thing to do is not expose your gf or wife to the perks of FF miles. They either don't appreciate the rewards, become greedy expecting upgrades on all travel, or in the case of few hen-pecked husbands they take control of you account for their own selfishness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.