Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Are F and C class on U.S. to Hong Kong flights ever oversold?

Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:05 am
Original Poster

The reaons I'm asking is that the flight I'm booked on is completely sold out in first/business/coach. The CX reservation rep told me that there's not a seat available at any price.

I'm pretty sure they oversold coach, but what about first and business?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:31 am

They do overbook C, but never over book F...
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JH1981
They do overbook C, but never over book F...
what's the usual compensation if a C passenger is involuntarily bumped or downgraded to Y? (assuming all F passengers check in for the flight)
Old Jun 11, 2011, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by smellyplane
what's the usual compensation if a C passenger is involuntarily bumped or downgraded to Y? (assuming all F passengers check in for the flight)
I guess it would depend on the nature of the flight (medium, long haul) and fare paid.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 4:14 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Actually the fare paid seems to be irrelevant to the compensation, from what I've heard (I've never been invol downgraded on CX). At most airports you are given an envelope at the gate with the fare difference between published one-way J and Y or F and J, in cash. Doubt it happens more than a few times per year, certainly nothing like bumps on some other carriers. Usually when it happens it is due to DM exercising their purchase rights for a sold-out flight.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 6:13 am

there is also a goodwill payment. last 2 times ex hkg invol d/g to syd was given 2k hkd on top of the full fare difference between J and Y.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by baclubflyer
there is also a goodwill payment. last 2 times ex hkg invol d/g to syd was given 2k hkd on top of the full fare difference between J and Y.
What routes were you on? I've always thought CX was good with preventing involuntary downgrades (given the obscene amount of cash they are willing to pay for a voluntary downgrade), and twice IV seems like a lot!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CX HK
What routes were you on? I've always thought CX was good with preventing involuntary downgrades (given the obscene amount of cash they are willing to pay for a voluntary downgrade), and twice IV seems like a lot!
believe me.. it rarely happens.. less than 100 times a year I would imagine on all route.. the actuaries who plan oversold @ CX are very good. There is a 99.9999999 chance you will fly in your ticketed cabin. CX takes that very seriously. They don't want to lose a buck, but they also appreciate the customer POV.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smellyplane
It's much more likely that C is overbooked based on unsold capacity in F, and the passenger will be involuntarily upgraded to F. When C is sold over capacity, the F seats are usually taken out of inventory. I think it's pretty rare that the combined F/C cabins will be overbooked except on flights where they have a pretty good idea of how many no-shows there will be.

Now, my understanding is that SQ is loathe do to even operational upgrades, so seems that they either (1) don't overbook C or (2) do overbook and sometimes have to downgrade, pay compensation and probably lose a customer for good. Neither seems like a financially optimal way to run an airline.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
When I've been on an overbooked flight in C class, one of two things happen: At check in I am asked if I want to downgrade (I've been offered either two seats or a row to myself to make up for the inconvenience, plus cash - I have never taken this option BTW), or upgrades happen for some lucky passengers, occasionally even me.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's much more likely that C is overbooked based on unsold capacity in F, and the passenger will be involuntarily upgraded to F. When C is sold over capacity, the F seats are usually taken out of inventory. I think it's pretty rare that the combined F/C cabins will be overbooked except on flights where they have a pretty good idea of how many no-shows there will be.

Now, my understanding is that SQ is loathe do to even operational upgrades, so seems that they either (1) don't overbook C or (2) do overbook and sometimes have to downgrade, pay compensation and probably lose a customer for good. Neither seems like a financially optimal way to run an airline.
I agree. 10 years in HK with CX, and I have never been asked to downgrade, and have only been asked if I would be prepared to take a later flight once (YVR/HKG) with the promise of an upgrade if I did.

My Singapore colleagues' stories about SQ suggest their "never upgrading" policy is true. I know someone who has been PPS for > 10 years and has never been upgraded even once. Most similar customers can count the no. of upgrades on the fingers of one hand. However, I hear they upgrade government linked VIP's instead.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Originally Posted by ak333
When I've been on an overbooked flight in C class, one of two things happen: At check in I am asked if I want to downgrade (I've been offered either two seats or a row to myself to make up for the inconvenience, plus cash - I have never taken this option BTW), or upgrades happen for some lucky passengers, occasionally even me.
Sad to see you've left CX completely, ak333
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by kchika
Sad to see you've left CX completely, ak333
He hasn't - he's DM+.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:28 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
He's Royal Carribean Diamond Plus.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
If BR ever implodes, I'll be back. Or since I can no longer get reimbursed for C tickets and have to buy Y+/Y tickets, when CX gets a Y+ that's affordable, I'll be back. Whichever comes first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.