Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Destinations for CX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Mrtnw
This will comfort CX and make them put all their analysis aside.
Everybody has their own preference. For Cathay Boy having CX at EWR is important, I can live with the JFK options and would like to see more and more flexibility there. I'm not saying EWR will not happen, don't have a crystal bowl, but I would like to see some other ports instead.
This isn't about me personally (although I do benefit), but just talking about a port in general. Don't know why all of a sudden this morphs into about me.

Also, I never said put any analysis aside, I'm making the same comments and suggestions that any other person (including you) are making about any other port. Don't know why you have to morph this to be about me.

Keep on topic please and do not get personal.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
This isn't about me personally (although I do benefit), but just talking about a port in general. Don't know why all of a sudden this morphs into about me.

Also, I never said put any analysis aside, I'm making the same comments and suggestions that any other person (including you) are making about any other port. Don't know why you have to morph this to be about me.

Keep on topic please and do not get personal.
Sorry if I got personal. Not my intention.
It's just funny to me that whenever people start dreaming about new destinations (and there are multiple threads on this) you keep coming up with EWR and defend it against anyone who takes a punch at it.

I'll keep myself out of this thread from here as I have no insight at all on what CX's next port might be and I've given my personal preferences before.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Is the entire U.S. within nonstop 77A range in both directions?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on how JL's new BOS flight will affect the calculus? Most local OW pax I know currently fly CX through JFK or YYZ.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:52 pm

Sorry if I got personal. Not my intention.
It's just funny to me that whenever people start dreaming about new destinations (and there are multiple threads on this) you keep coming up with EWR and defend it against anyone who takes a punch at it.
Yes, and it's no secret "my dream destination" is EWR. Both personally, and corporately, it makes sense to me.

I do not give punch, I just give reasons and defend my suggestion, as others give reasons against the suggestion. I don't see an issue, until, of course, the argument turns away from being logical and civil and turns emotional and personal. That is when we know we probably should stop for everyone's benefit.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:12 pm

Yes, and it's no secret "my dream destination" is EWR. Both personally, and corporately, it makes sense to me.

I do not give punch, I just give reasons and defend my suggestion, as others give reasons against the suggestion. I don't see an issue, until, of course, the argument turns away from being logical and civil and turns emotional and personal. That is when we know we probably should stop for everyone's benefit.
Airlines don't start a new route based on dream destinations nor it makes sense to an individual
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I will see EWR happening if, and only if, they are planning 6th JFK .... in that case a split operation of 4 JFK 2 EWR may make sense
Wow! That's alots of the passengers who flown JFK-HKG segment. Unbelievable! I don't think a possible to do that. Lets stay where they are. Just a speculating about this one.

Will CX can added 3rd or 4th daily nonstop LAX-HKG.

How about CX will have a considering to start new routes HKG-HNL or DFW.

I thinking about CX will brings more specific new routes HKG-BOS/DTW/ATL/IAH.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
CX to dominate the world

LHR-JFK just nice to have, BA and AA already have sufficient OW coverage
HKG-DFW

then to South America,
AMS-GRU only KL now
JNB-GRU only SA now
LAX-GRU only KE now
together adding up to 7 frequencies

And what about
HKG-MEX and HKG-MIA (pushing the range of the 777-300ERs!
I don't see it happening anytime soon. DL has been discontinuation service LAX-GRU due to poor performers and it has dropped nonstop due to completing against KE. CX can not have a considered service LAX-GRU.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:09 pm

How bout Washington-Dulles? Perhaps they could "fraternize with the enemy" and hook up with UA lol
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by jimyvr
MIA is still the candidate for potential new route studies along with 2 other non-oneWorld hub cities in North America
I would think that HKG-TLV-MIA would be a huge success on both segments. Not sure if Israel would allow it, or if CX is that risky/creative.

Last edited by Södermalm; Jun 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow! That's alots of the passengers who flown JFK-HKG segment. Unbelievable! I don't think a possible to do that. Lets stay where they are. Just a speculating about this one.

Will CX can added 3rd or 4th daily nonstop LAX-HKG.

How about CX will have a considering to start new routes HKG-HNL or DFW.

I thinking about CX will brings more specific new routes HKG-BOS/DTW/ATL/IAH.
I hope CX will increase their HKG-LAX route to 3x daily, as it used to be 3x daily 747!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:01 pm

Airlines don't start a new route based on dream destinations nor it makes sense to an individual
Urgh, hate it when someone just jumps into a thread having no idea what was discussed and based his knowledge on just a few choice words.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by CX828
I hope CX will increase their HKG-LAX route to 3x daily, as it used to be 3x daily 747!
Hard to believe with the amount of East Asians in LAX (and surrounding areas) that CX only flies to it 2x daily. Competition that fierce?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Hard to believe with the amount of East Asians in LAX (and surrounding areas) that CX only flies to it 2x daily. Competition that fierce?
There are not as many travelers to Hong Kong, South East Asia, and South Asia from LAX. Those who fly to Mainland China, Taiwan, Japan and Korea have other alternatives.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:31 am

Urgh, hate it when someone just jumps into a thread having no idea what was discussed and based his knowledge on just a few choice words.

You're just "upset" because:

a) your reasoning/suggestion doesn't make sense to others
b) your reasoning/suggestion is being questioned by others (and you think it's a personal attack)
c) people doesn't think your reasoning/suggestion works
d) you think you know more than others

I probably don't have more knowledge than you, but you're turning your reason and suggestion into assumption.

You're just assuming CX will enjoy instant success in EWR.

You're just assuming if CX opens EWR it opens up a whole new market, and will not steal JFK traffic.

You're just assuming that CX will/should open EWR because it makes sense to you.

You assume everything will be rosy but didn't take any risk factors into consideration.

Now, consider these following questions if CX is opening EWR...
  • Is EWR a hub of oneWorld?
  • Will CX find a feed on the EWR end?
  • How successful it'll be? Just Break even? or making an actual profit? or how long will it takes to break even and/or make profit?
  • Is the success measured by attracting new clienteles while not damaging the yields at JFK?
  • For JFK pax, what is the % of travelers coming from other parts of the states or neighboring states? How many of these travelers will actually choose to fly EWR and no longer choose JFK?
  • What is the long-term out look for opening a station in EWR?
  • Will the ticket pricing structure be different from JFK?
  • Having both JFK and EWR works for SQ, but will it really work for CX?
  • Awareness of SQ clearly distinguishes the purpose of JFK and EWR?
  • How many Asian carriers both serve JFK and EWR other than SQ?
  • What makes the Asian carriers decide to stick to one airport instead of two if they could also attract new clienteles from the areas that you mentioned?
  • What makes Star Alliance's Asian members (Except SQ, which noted above) continues to operate service to JFK when there's a potential feed in EWR?
  • What can EWR the airport itself offers in order to convince CX to open new route?
  • Will the time slot CX gets at EWR able to prove your reasoning that it'll attract more passengers?
  • What is the connection between EWR and HKG? historic/ethnic/others.
  • Why should CX open EWR instead of other cities like BOS and IAD, which has the potentials too? (former is the top candidate of new route launch for Americas region)
  • What is the risk of putting all eggs in one basket (continues NYC area expansion) instead of diversify?

I don't expect you able to answer these questions because I can't either, but even I can come up with these questions of potential risks. Airlines "Ask" many questions as part of feasibility studies. Yes, they will assume, but they don't assume without asking questions first.

Last edited by jimyvr; Jun 19, 2011 at 2:38 am
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Why should CX open EWR instead of other cities like BOS and IAD, which has the potentials too? (former is the top candidate of new route launch for Americas region)
I can certainly see east coast pax preferring to route through BOS to avoid JFK. Is your assessment of BOS being a top candidate based on real info? Man, would I love that!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.