Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Destinations for CX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:24 am

I really think CX is going to focus majority of their energy in trying to get China to open up newer ports for them. There are many major cities in China that if China opens it up then people will flock to CX. Of course, China will do all it can to preven that as it cuts into their own champion airlines' revenue.

Otherwise, NA is another major possibility as capacity is growing at rapid pace. Even with 4x JFK it is still full flights so potential is there. LAX and SFO are seeing a rebound. ORD will no doubt be a major port once it starts to operate and we can see 2x very quickly. DFW is always on the radar.

CX has position itself to accept many airplanes here on out, and no doubt those will be use to satisfy rapid expansion in NA.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
New to CX forum

Hey..New guy over here after heavy UA flying for the last 15 years.

Since I am moving to Vegas, I would like LAS-HKG as well as a West Coast to HKG via NRT/ICN (like SQ) and USA to OZ!!!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
Possibly:

2-4 cities in China (with resumed service and new destination)
1-2 potential destinations in Asia Pacific
1-2 new destinations in North America
2-3 new or resumed destinations in Europe
1 possible for Africa
Over 10 markets are looked at in China. Americas 4-7. Europe, not so much.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
Smile

Originally Posted by chongcao
2, No it would be only either Berlin or Dusseldorf.
3, Manchester will not be non-stop. Will be with a stop in Moscow or Geneva.
Munich does and doesn't make sense. SQ and TG already fly there and it's the secondary intercontinental hub in Germany. On the other hand it is close enough to MXP and ZRH not to bother with...

Agreed. CX have been meaning to return to MAN for a while. Their last attempt was a proposed routing via DME which never materialised. Reinstating the HKG-ZRH-MAN route of the late 90s would be better Elsewhere in Europe, Istanbul would be nice whose first foray was from 1998-2002, and HKG-CPH-MAN as a 3x weekly.

Other than that, my money's on extending the AUH run to CAI, one more Indian port probably CCU, and at a long shot CHC. Lots of posters mentioning AMS-GRU, so yeh why not... +1
Old Jun 12, 2011, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by fratboy
Lots of posters mentioning AMS-GRU, so yeh why not... +1
Guess that was mainly me, but nice to get some support
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
I personally think that CX should/could start covering these markets:

Zurich or Munich - No need to do both, as both are Star hubs not Oneworld hubs and have same catchment area.

Madrid or Barcelona or both - I believe there is a demand for HK-Spain, + no other carrier operates on the route. CX seem to be doing very well out of Italy, which is the only European market they currently serve where there is no direct competiton. Also as Iberia is Oneworld member, there are good connection opportunities to S.America and western Europe.

Manchester - There is expat population in both MAN and HKG, + opportunity to take tourist pax to Asia/Aus, and there will be a fairly sized student traffic.

Istanbul - Missing link in there network, service could continue onto Athens.

Stockholm or Copenhagen or Helsinki - Probably not enough demand to serve more than 1 Scandinavian city. ARN would be the best bet as it is a big city. HEL would be nice as it is Oneworld hub and good for connections, but AY has that covered with 12x weekly to HKG.

Nairobi - Could be feasible via somewhere like BKK

Cape Town - Might be possible nonstop or as an extension from the current JNB service.

Christchurch - Good tourism to New Zealand, however perhaps to soon in the conservative eyes of CX because of the recent earthquake?

Washington D.C. - Good business/student traffic.

Dallas - Oneworld hub, however ORD might be more than sufficient.

Seattle - Good expat traffic, but might be to close to YVR?

Cairo - Via somewhere in Middle East?

Boston - Good student traffic and some expat traffic, but perhaps JFK connections are enough.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CX828
I personally think that CX should/could start covering these markets:

Zurich or Munich - No need to do both, as both are Star hubs not Oneworld hubs and have same catchment area.

Not Munich. No oneworld forward connections. Zurich is possible. Germany will only have Dusseldorf and/or Berlin being good choice

Madrid or Barcelona or both - I believe there is a demand for HK-Spain, + no other carrier operates on the route.

It is either MAD or BCN. More likely to be MAD if the route is open at all. Currently MAD passenger can reach HKG with Royal Jodanian. CX doing well in Italy is due to the fashion crazes, Chinese business links and mass Asian tourists.

Istanbul - Missing link in there network, service could continue onto Athens.
No, another Star hub. Over supplied by Star Alliance. No forward connection possible for CX. No sizable business trvellers or corporate supports.

Stockholm or Copenhagen or Helsinki - Probably not enough demand to serve more than 1 Scandinavian city.HEL would be nice as it is Oneworld hub and good for connections, but AY has that covered with 12x weekly to HKG.

Not enough traffic. Even though there are many Sks likes to visit Southeast Asia but other carriers dominated the Sk market. AY is the perfect patner for CX through codeshares. Why add competition to your partners?

Nairobi - Could be feasible via somewhere like BKK

Possible.

Cape Town - Might be possible nonstop or as an extension from the current JNB service.

With MH join oneworld ad local connection with Comair under BA brand. Cape Town is not likely for 2012 schedule.

Christchurch - Good tourism to New Zealand, however perhaps to soon in the conservative eyes of CX because of the recent earthquake?

Currently CX does not fly to any destination with city population less than 500K. Guess why?

Washington D.C. - Good business/student traffic.

Unfortunately mass students also means seasonality is a issue.

Dallas - Oneworld hub, however ORD might be more than sufficient.

Lack of support

Seattle - Good expat traffic, but might be to close to YVR?

From Seattle to where?

Cairo - Via somewhere in Middle East?

Another Star hub. But differently as there are mass poverty and few flyers.

Boston - Good student traffic and some expat traffic, but perhaps JFK connections are enough.
As you corrctly point out it is too close to JFK.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Sure, it is only possibilties and my own opinion of where CX might expand in the future. Ofcourse CX will not expand to so many destinations in 1 year. I anticipate CX expanding by 1-2 max 3 destinations per year at the most.

Regarding Star hubs - that why I feel CX needs to get into these cities and counteract these hubs inorder to stay in competition. That why sometimes I feel they have left E.g. ZRH to late. Swiss now has a daily A340-300 on the HKG route, and it is fitted with excellent First,business and economy products which are comparable to CX. Because of the CX absence, I believe if CX were to start, it would be hard to get passengers to switch from the more than adequate Swiss service. If they had re-entered sooner they would have a decent size market share. All Swiss frequent flyers will likely stick with Swiss, leaving CX with only HKG based frequent flyers.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:50 pm

I'm more interest in what is their top destination that they want to extend but yet has service there? Possibly announcing this year?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by pilyourman
I'm more interest in what is their top destination that they want to extend but yet has service there? Possibly announcing this year?
IF they plan to start new routes in Summer 2012, then announcement might be made after Christmas.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles
You know what the FUNNY thing is?

Even Hainan Airlines has launched services to Zurich 3x weekly this summer.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/36/...hts-to-zurich/

Using an A330.

Oh wait CX doesn't have any A332 /w the latest generation HGW (high gross weight+range) version that can do 253t up to 12,500km FULL PAYLOAD.

They only have A333.

AND the A332 burns LESS FUEL than a 77W unless you can FILL A 77W.

Actually with Zurich a 77W might make sense.

The other is Madrid & South America connections.

But that is already possible via AKL & JFK.

CPT will become available soon with the 2x weekly non-stop KUL-CPT flight on MH /w the 744 (which continues onto EZE with the South Atlantic crossing).

Already available with BA's Comair franchise in South Africa.

And forgot about South Africa, that place is RELUCTANT to give authorities to ANYONE EXCEPT their nationalistic craptastic carrier and other things (and the crappiness of SA and their way of doing business, EVEN if it is South Africa...). (MH tried to increase KUL-CPT-EZE to 3x weekly but SA authorities denied this).

In Europe:
ZRH & ONE of the following in ORDER OF LIKELINESS in Europe:
ARN, MAD, BRU, MAN.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I was told by a JFK CX/BA agent that CX was considering HKG-MIA. This was apparently news that was spreading amongst CX pilots and cabin crew. Apparently they can't wait to party in South Beach along with Lebron and DWade (crossing my fingers on that championship!)
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by blackmamba
I was told by a JFK CX/BA agent that CX was considering HKG-MIA. This was apparently news that was spreading amongst CX pilots and cabin crew. Apparently they can't wait to party in South Beach along with Lebron and DWade (crossing my fingers on that championship!)
MIA is still the candidate for potential new route studies along with 2 other non-oneWorld hub cities in North America
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jetsetter1k
Still dreaming of HNL
+1
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by blackmamba
They just lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.