Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Saturday Award-Availability US - HKG Aversion?

Old Jun 5, 11, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Hi, Folks,

I am looking to book a one-way award ticket in F from SFO/LAX/YVR to HKG, on a Saturday in July using AA miles. Thus far, I've not been able to find award availability on any of the Saturday morning flights (like, the realllllly early morning flights). I have, usually, been able to find availability on Friday mornings (which would require a day-off work), and Sunday mornings (which would cut an already whirlwind trip).

I performed a search (and read the FAQ sticky), and in some older-threads, it does seem like Saturday availability on Cathay is a bit spotty, but could not truly find anything conclusive.

My question: are Saturdays indeed difficult for which to find awards? And, in general, for the experts, does availability on CX become markedly better at a certain time before departure, say, two weeks or one week, where a Saturday morning flight might usually appear?

Thanks for all of your help, folks.
Old Jun 6, 11, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by PanHam View Post
Hi, Folks,

I am looking to book a one-way award ticket in F from SFO/LAX/YVR to HKG, on a Saturday in July using AA miles. Thus far, I've not been able to find award availability on any of the Saturday morning flights (like, the realllllly early morning flights). I have, usually, been able to find availability on Friday mornings (which would require a day-off work), and Sunday mornings (which would cut an already whirlwind trip).

I performed a search (and read the FAQ sticky), and in some older-threads, it does seem like Saturday availability on Cathay is a bit spotty, but could not truly find anything conclusive.

My question: are Saturdays indeed difficult for which to find awards? And, in general, for the experts, does availability on CX become markedly better at a certain time before departure, say, two weeks or one week, where a Saturday morning flight might usually appear?

I often book F awards from JFK-HKG and I have noticed that award availability on Saturdays is usually very difficult. If you book far enough in advance, about 6 months, you can usually find what you are looking for. Otherwise, you must continually check because CX sometimes opens up award seats for no apparent reason and they could be gone within hours or a day. Also, as others have mentioned, CX oftentimes, but not always, opens up award seats close to the departure day, within 1 week and many times within a few days. So there is no way to guarantee you will get what you are looking for but this is a way to increase your odds.
Old Jun 6, 11, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sjmoss23 View Post
I often book F awards from JFK-HKG and I have noticed that award availability on Saturdays is usually very difficult. If you book far enough in advance, about 6 months, you can usually find what you are looking for. Otherwise, you must continually check because CX sometimes opens up award seats for no apparent reason and they could be gone within hours or a day. Also, as others have mentioned, CX oftentimes, but not always, opens up award seats close to the departure day, within 1 week and many times within a few days. So there is no way to guarantee you will get what you are looking for but this is a way to increase your odds.
Hmmm . . . many thanks for the info! I guess I will just keep plodding along to see if I can find something. AsiaMiles shows availability on the late Friday-night 11.50pm LAX - HKG flight, but AA cannot see the seat. Hoping it will open in due time.

Thanks, again.
Old Jun 6, 11, 11:24 am
Community Director

AsiaMiles Fri, July 21, and Sat, July 22, LAX-HKG, as available. I take it that the July 21 flight is the one that AA cannot see? That's unfortunate; for flights I've booked there has been a 100% correspondence between what I find on AsiaMiles and what AA sees.
Old Jun 7, 11, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by PanHam View Post
Hi, Folks,

Saturday is the peak departure day for business travelers going to Asia. You arrive Sunday, then hit the ground running Monday morning. You'll face similar booking challenges on any airline, any route. JL to NRT, KE to ICN, the list goes on and on.
Old Jun 7, 11, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
Saturday is the peak departure day for business travelers going to Asia. You arrive Sunday, then hit the ground running Monday morning. You'll face similar booking challenges on any airline, any route. JL to NRT, KE to ICN, the list goes on and on.
Exactly. I've experienced the same issue.
Old Jun 7, 11, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Exactly. I've experienced the same issue.
D'oh. That's good to know. Rookie mistake, then

I guess I will try to take some solace in the fact that most AAdvantage reps say that CX availability opens quite last minute, generally.

If not, well, it looks as if my "long" weekend in HK and SIN might be massively curtailed.

Thanks, again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: