Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Third runway at Hong Kong International Airport ‘going to be needed’ - Cathay Pacific

Third runway at Hong Kong International Airport ‘going to be needed’ - Cathay Pacific

Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Airport cooperation doesn't work because all airports will eventually only seeking self-interest, promote self take-off/landing and pax traffic. I'm glad you mentioned EWR/LGA/JFK. One of the biggest complain for NYC government in the late 90s is that EWR gets "favored" treatment over JFK, and they are all run by the same Port Authority!!! It's not until NYC Representatives threaten to force Port Authority to pay up on back-rent up to hundreds of millions of dollars did the Port Authority decided to "invest and improve" JFK.
not only. Looking at tyo it looked like self destruction
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:06 am

CX reiterates call for third runway

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...137695/1/.html

Slosar thinks HKIA will run out of capacity by 7 to 9 years and not till 2040. Citing BA's inability to invest in London anymore because of capacity issues.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:28 am

The third runway will most likely be built, simply because I guess the Hong Kong Government hasn't had a strong track record in stopping economic development in the interest of environmental concerns, at least when it comes to the airport, I believe. What's at stake is simply too high for the Govt to ignore IMHO.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:10 pm

Cathay Pacific CEO John Slosar - who has been quite vocal during the process of debating a third runway for HKG, and rightly so - has just said that HKG should not be looking to reroute traffic to MFM, SZX or any other airport.

"People just don't like moving between airports."

Examples include airports at other world cities including New York and London.

Read the full story here: http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...=20110623&fc=4
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club
FFC Lunch Presentation

Here is a video of John Slosar talking about HKIA 3rd Runway, the talk took place at the FFC lunch presentation. The video is half and hour long. His talk is quite convincing, he goes on about how sending flights to other airports would not work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lUXf1jfzJc
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
Cathay Pacific CEO John Slosar - who has been quite vocal during the process of debating a third runway for HKG, and rightly so - has just said that HKG should not be looking to reroute traffic to MFM, SZX or any other airport.

"People just don't like moving between airports."

Examples include airports at other world cities including New York and London.
Of course they don't. Especially when you have two big luggage with carry-on and a laptop bag. Plus, the travel is likely to not be seamless and requires a bunch of up and downs, customs, red tapes, hop-on and off buses/cars/trains, etc.

Anybody that dreams of a major alliance between airports don't know how inconvenience and ridiculous that sounds.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by g.yau
Here is a video of John Slosar talking about HKIA 3rd Runway, the talk took place at the FFC lunch presentation. The video is half and hour long. His talk is quite convincing, he goes on about how sending flights to other airports would not work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lUXf1jfzJc
It comes back to the point, who will pay the projected HK$ 136 billion for it ? Not CX that is for sure. They are busy building their own cargo building.

HK Airport Authority Last FY Net Profit Up 42% At Record HK$4.04 Bln 30 June 2011 HONG KONG (Dow Jones)--Airport Authority Hong Kong, which operates the city's international airport, said Wednesday its net profit for the fiscal year ended March 31 rose 42% to a record HK$4.04 billion (US$519 million) because of strong demand for air travel as the global economy recovered.
The airport operator's net profit was up from HK$2.84 billion in the previous 12 months. Its return on equity rose to 11.1% from 7.8% and its revenue increased 17% to HK$10.58 billion from HK$9.02 billion.
"Earnings growth in the near term is also expected to be tempered by slower traffic growth and the higher base that was created in fiscal 2011," Hui said.
The airport handled 51.5 million passengers during the period, up 9.7% from 47.0 million a year earlier, and cargo throughput rose 16.5% to 4.2 million metric tons from 3.6 million tons.
The unlisted government-owned airport authority said it would pay the Hong Kong government a dividend of HK$3.1 billion for the past fiscal year, down from HK$4.5 billion worth of ordinary and special dividends it paid in the previous fiscal year http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...29-702401.html

HONG KONG. Airport Authority Hong Kong (AAHK) revenues from retail licences and advertising surged by +22.8% in the financial year to 31 March, hitting HK$3.58 billion (US$460 million). The retail & advertising division accounted for 33.8% of group turnover in the year as overall revenues climbed by +24.9%. Passenger traffic rose by +9.7% year-on-year to 51.5 million.
http://www.moodiereport.com/category.php?id=36

BUT
Lower import tariffs threaten spend on luxury duty-free goods in Hong Kong 30 June 2011
A plan by the Chinese government to lower import tax on luxury goods may threaten the allure of duty-free goods for high-spending shoppers.
..............the Chinese Ministry of Commerce announced this week that it had reached agreement in principle to lower import tax in the hope of boosting domestic consumption.
Analysts have suggested the duty on certain luxury goods such as watches and gold could be cut to as little as 2% from current levels of 15-30%. And they predict a major knock-on effect on duty-free sales. Overall retail sales in Hong Kong rose 28% in April 2011.
One fashion supplier .... said that if the mainland tariff cut went ahead then it would severely impact Hong Kong duty-free retailers and upset those with development plans in progress. “I don’t know if DFS will rethink plans for their major new Causeway Bay store,” he said http://www.dfnionline.com/article/Ma...e-1861242.html
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
It comes back to the point, who will pay the projected HK$ 136 billion for it ? Not CX that is for sure. They are busy building their own cargo building.
Aren't the passengers usually the ones who pays?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:08 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by General_Flyer
Aren't the passengers usually the ones who pays?
Government pays in first instance then tries to recover building cost via landing fees.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by percysmith
Government pays in first instance then tries to recover building cost via landing fees.
Why not just go directly to pax? Oh wait.. it'd have to be staggered then I suppose..

This batch this month produces this much, next batch... and so on..
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:21 am

Why not just go directly to pax? Oh wait.. it'd have to be staggered then I suppose..

This batch this month produces this much, next batch... and so on..
Not sure about HK politics, but in the US it's always the tax-payers that end up footing the bill (i.e. money coming out of Government tax revenues, General Fund.) Of course, the argument is that such improvements will bring great commerce to the city, and the residents will eventually benefit when foreign pax come to Hong Kong to live, eat, and spend. And in HKIA's case, I tend to agree.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:34 am
Suspended

Not sure about HK politics, but in the US it's always the tax-payers that end up footing the bill (i.e. money coming out of Government tax revenues, General Fund.) Of course, the argument is that such improvements will bring great commerce to the city, and the residents will eventually benefit when foreign pax come to Hong Kong to live, eat, and spend. And in HKIA's case, I tend to agree.
same here, but comparing this with that stupid XRL, i tend to think this one gives better return.
or in hk we can give the HKAA some land and get them to raise revenue by itself.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:01 pm

That makes more sense... But then again HKG is a very crowded place.. Its residents may not want more tourism because its as full as it is..

But who knows.. I do agree that it will bring more commerce, but it will also bring more noise..
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:45 pm
Suspended

That makes more sense... But then again HKG is a very crowded place.. Its residents may not want more tourism because its as full as it is..

But who knows.. I do agree that it will bring more commerce, but it will also bring more noise..
we have enough noise already. and any foreign tourist is always better the chinese variant
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by percysmith
well Percy look at reality : it means WE the HK taxpayers pay and CX gets richer

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/p...Statements.pdf

http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr04-05/engl...cb1-1591-e.pdf

the cost for the 3rd runway and terminal is estimated at HK$ 136.2 billion at projected future construction cost.
The HK airport total profit in the past year was HK$ 4.038 billion.
Perhaps a Flyertalk accountant can work out how long it would take the airport to repay the capital sum given depreciation / projected landing charge increase etc ?
A simplistic calculation would be 136 / 4 = 34 years by which time of course they would be out of capacity and would already need the 4th runway and by then Bao’An will probably have 6 runways and the SAR , given the completion date years hence +34 will be past its 2047 Mainland reunification date .

only FS John Tsang would rate that a good deal but he screwed up everything else already on his decision changing U turn Budget.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.