Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Third runway at Hong Kong International Airport ‘going to be needed’ - Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Third runway at Hong Kong International Airport ‘going to be needed’ - Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by CX HK
The HK government can't be pressured by the rapid economic growth from China and ignore all environmental aspects... although generally being a "supporter" of the third runway as HK has to compete with Chinese cities for a spot in Asia, would Chinese airport authorities really care about the environmental impact? I'm not saying they are right, but I feel like China also encourages a "race to the bottom"... you care about environmental issues? You lose out, cause China doesn't, and they will build, build, and build. Quite a sad scenario.
China has the space - it is building 'green' wind farms and solar farms. It has been using ethanol mixed in its fuel at the pumps for years. This is called decision making whereas Lame Duck Tsang just fritters away more money on more consultations on the roadside pollution and then does nothing when consultations run out. I think the green groups are right - too many things HK-Zhuhai bridge (without a rail line !), HK-Shenzhen airport sub sea tunnel, 3rd runway, expansion of Tung Chung town is too much for such a small area.
They will not get past the EIA stage even with rubber stamp Anissa Wong doing her bit. Then there is the high speed rail HK- (not) Guangzhou link to nowhere. The only one I would agree with is the HK airport-Shenzhen airport fast link.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
China has the space - it is building 'green' wind farms and solar farms. It has been using ethanol mixed in its fuel at the pumps for years. This is called decision making whereas Lame Duck Tsang just fritters away more money on more consultations on the roadside pollution and then does nothing when consultations run out. I think the green groups are right - too many things HK-Zhuhai bridge (without a rail line !), HK-Shenzhen airport sub sea tunnel, 3rd runway, expansion of Tung Chung town is too much for such a small area.
They will not get past the EIA stage even with rubber stamp Anissa Wong doing her bit. Then there is the high speed rail HK- (not) Guangzhou link to nowhere. The only one I would agree with is the HK airport-Shenzhen airport fast link.
The thing about "Green thing" is that the "Environmentalists" never put forth any logical and arguable theory on what is consider buildable, and what isn't. It seem they simply have ONE message and ONE message only: DO NOT BUILD ANYTHING as ANYTHING WILL HARM THE ENVIRONMENT.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
well, exactly. UPS's Asia hub is in Shenzhen airport so that is where your package gets consolidated.
No wonder UPS is not reliable in Asia....
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
The thing about "Green thing" is that the "Environmentalists" never put forth any logical and arguable theory on what is consider buildable, and what isn't. It seem they simply have ONE message and ONE message only: DO NOT BUILD ANYTHING as ANYTHING WILL HARM THE ENVIRONMENT.
not exactly
www.hkgbc.org.hk/

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/envir.../buildings.htm
they should practice what they preach

meanwhile, is this the 'growth' they refer to ?
http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/0...7H709S20110707

Last edited by Marco Polo; Jul 23, 2011 at 12:36 am Reason: add hyperlink
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Again we need more flights. China transport at best, upon lost of signal they run at full speed. Massive derailing as they run into each other
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Again we need more flights. China transport at best, upon lost of signal they run at full speed. Massive derailing as they run into each other
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka

I thought you didn't like China Travel http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-37.html#543

Originally Posted by percysmith
..Current fee per passenger: $31.81

Incremental cost for building third runway:
Current costs: $86.2B (I'll use current costs throughout)
Amt borne by passengers (again, 50:50): $43.1B
Amt borne by passengers per year (again, assuming current cost and a 25 year useful life for the runway as stated in http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/p...pdf#page=109): $1.724B
Pax traffic "by 2030": 97M
Incremental cost to be borne by all passengers for having the third runway: $17.77

...The only objection is - whether the 97M figure will hold. It's built on the 3.2% CAGR assumption to 2030...
I'll toughen up the calculations.

Assume no growth in pax: 50.9M
Assume everyone only pays tax on the outbound: 25.45M.

Assume cost is 136.2B, payable now (covers cost overrun)
Useful life: 25 years
Cost per year: 136.6 / 25 = $5.45B

Cost per pax: 5,448M / 25.45M = $214

This case also assumes inflation (and AAHK's ability to raise future landing prices) slightly exceeds nominal interest rates so no time value of money effect. Assuming that long run interest rate exceeds inflation by 5%:

Cost per year: $9.692B (=PMT(0.05, 25, -136600))
Cost per pax: 9,692M / 25.45M = $388

Affordable?
Will we cause negative growth in pax numbers as a result?

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 24, 2011 at 1:05 am
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:21 am
Suspended

I dont, but for social good to avoid land based transport in china.

Anyway, I wonder whats the full cost per pax now regarding airport fees(including landing fees n all)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:17 am

Anyway, I wonder whats the full cost per pax now regarding airport fees(including landing fees n all)
Yes, I was gravely concerned by that news. Especially I travel on that route much (Shanghai to Wenzhou to Fuzhou to Xiamen.) Horrific news, maybe it's time to rethink about how safe these new high-speed rails really are.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:20 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Approx $31.81 paid by airline http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post16746964

Actually should double that to $62 cos I used the 50.9 traveller figure and that probably counts arrivals and departures as two pax (and transit as 2 also).

And $120 by the passenger
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Yes, I was gravely concerned by that news. Especially I travel on that route much (Shanghai to Wenzhou to Fuzhou to Xiamen.) Horrific news, maybe it's time to rethink about how safe these new high-speed rails really are.
Newspapers are already talking about the higher demand for airlines as a result of this, and the impact of the crash can clearly be seen in the stock market today in both China and Hong Kong.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CX HK
Newspapers are already talking about the higher demand for airlines as a result of this, and the impact of the crash can clearly be seen in the stock market today in both China and Hong Kong.
it only went from bad to worse! it was first delays of a few hours, and now they've got this. The airlines stopped feeling the hit even after 2 weeks!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

it only went from bad to worse! it was first delays of a few hours, and now they've got this. The airlines stopped feeling the hit even after 2 weeks!
Air fares on PEK-SHA are still substantially lower than they were a month ago.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:46 am

[QUOTE=percysmith;16787347
Actually should double that to $62 cos I used the 50.9 traveller figure and that probably counts arrivals and departures as two pax (and transit as 2 also). And $120 by the passenger[/QUOTE]

When the 'real' numbers come to light I reckon the s--t will hit the fan.

Any smaller local construction project can overrun on variations etc by more than 200 % as in Pennys Bay station cost (600m above the winning tender of 200m). On a project of this magnitude read HKD 300+ billion instead of 136.2 billion at money of the day cost.

The PRD airslot 'consensus' is not a signed and sealed agreement. Without it nothing can proceed.

HKG chooses to use 2 pax counted for the same person in transit contrary to the ACI airport body's calculation as one pax in transit = 1 pax. So what are the real numbers in airport throughput was calculated as it should be ?
Likewise with transhipment cargo ,also uses the same piece of cargo counted twice in tonnage statistics issued.

Then there are the Green groups and the EIA and Judicial Reviews etc.
The infield works start imminently to add an extra 10m pax by 2015 anyway.
These are real 10m pax with two legs and two arms unlike the AAHK currently counting the same human as two in the airport numbers (sham) and cargo double counted in transit also.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:49 am

will be interesting to see how they can obviate their own consultant's report !

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...rt-runway-may-
cause-pollution-to-exceed-limit-1-.html

Hong Kong Airport Runway May Cause Pollution to Exceed Limit
By Jasmine Wang - Aug 9, 2011 8:59 PM GMT+0800
Hong Kong airport’s proposed HK$136 billion ($17 billion) third runway may cause the level of pollutant nitrogen dioxide in the facility’s vicinity to exceed the limit set by the city’s government, according to a study.
Annual cumulative concentrations of the gas in the airport and nearby areas may range between 16.5 micrograms and 81.1 micrograms per cubic meter, Ove Arup & Partners Hong Kong Ltd., appointed by the Airport Authority Hong Kong to assess the effect on air quality, said in its report. The government has proposed halving the legal limit for nitrogen dioxide, found in vehicle exhaust, in Hong Kong to 40 micrograms per cubic meter.
The consultant’s 2010 report was one of the eight posted on the authority’s website yesterday as it performs a three-month public consultation to end Sept. 2. Another report by HSBC Holdings Plc said rising construction costs may increase the authority’s pre-financing cash shortfall.
The air quality report was based on a maximum projected capacity of 620,000 annual flight movements. The authority will conduct a more detailed assessment and ensure the project complies with the law, it said in an e-mailed response to Bloomberg News questions. The authority also said HSBC’s report “has sought to establish a prudent financing plan such that the underlying financial profile of the AAHK remains robust.”
Cash Shortfall
The authority’s HK$112.8 billion pre-financing cash shortfall for the new runway may increase to HK$133 billion because of rising construction costs, according to a May 31 report by HSBC, a financial adviser for the project.
The third runway will cost HK$86.2 billion in 2010 prices, equivalent to HK$136.2 billion with inflation, .............
Asia’s third-busiest airfield is considering the new runway to serve an estimated 97 million passengers by 2030. The project, which may take about nine years to complete, will also help handle 8.9 million tons of cargo.
The airport may need to reclaim about 650 hectares of land from the sea to build the runway. Groups including Civic Party lawmakers have opposed the plan on concern about its effect on marine wildlife, including the endangered pink dolphin.
Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. (293), the city’s biggest carrier, said on June 2 that it gave “full and unequivocal backing” for the third runway.......
To contact the reporter on this story: Jasmine Wang in Hong Kong at [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.