Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Deteriorating English-language speaking ability of FAs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deteriorating English-language speaking ability of FAs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:44 am

Location: Shanghai, Beijing, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Vancouver
Programs: A3 Gold, CX, CA, PCR Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
As frequent rider of Air China and China Eastern (both in J and Y) I can tell you the "superior English" observation is a bit overblown. Are those FAs competent in English skills? Yes. But are they superior to CX hands down? No. All in all CX still have the better English skills in my opinion. Way better.

There was once on China Eastern, J class, the FA spoke good English on announcement. So I figure wow, she's an English person. I asked for custom form for China, she gave me a towel, then newspaper, until she finally figured out what I wanted. Then finally I spoke to her in Mandarin and asked how can she give the announcement in good English, and she laughed and said she memorized all the pronunciations as the wordings are always the same, but her English skills is limited.
Yes, true. This is really a big topic about changing emphasis of the day, I guess. I also think the language ability has a lot to do with education. For mainland Chinese airlines, yes, most FA's speak poor English. Considering foreign language is part of the overall service quality especially for the international route, mainland Chinese airlines have a long way to go. In China, the English language education is not quite successful overall based on my experience.

In terms of Cathay, I think generally most FAs speak good English, although most of them prefer to speak Cantonese and quite some of them are willing to speak Mandarin, especially on KA and CX's own routes to mainland. This also holds true for other CX routes as a result of increasing number of mainland travellers transiting through Hong Kong. Since I speak both English and Mandarin as well as Cantonese, I have no problem with it.

I have only started taking CX two years ago so I would imagine that back to 20 years ago, English was widely used than Cantonese for inflight service.
By the way, I have some Hong Kong friends and they told me that (not sure if that's generally representative of HK as a society) that now they use less English and more Mandarin and of course Cantonese is prevalent.

But again, overall speaking, people in the service industries speaks much better English than their mainland counterparts. Sometimes I tend to switch to English because some people there just don't quite take Mandarin speakers seriously.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: FT
my FIL born in HKG but moved to Canada in the 70s always speaks english on CX flights and refuses to speak Cantonese or Mandarin, of which he can speak both. says he gets better service...
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:09 pm

Regardless of your race and language, if you are rude, FAs will just roll their eyes once they walk away.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
my FIL born in HKG but moved to Canada in the 70s always speaks english on CX flights and refuses to speak Cantonese or Mandarin, of which he can speak both. says he gets better service...
Yes, agree with this. My friend used Cantonese on one way and English on the other way, and saw much difference in terms of service.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by JALlover
Yes, agree with this. My friend used Cantonese on one way and English on the other way, and saw much difference in terms of service.
I am wondering what the difference is in terms of service?

Attitude, tone of voice, etc?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by twydeutschland
I am wondering what the difference is in terms of service?

Attitude, tone of voice, etc?
He said attitude is the most obvious, when he speaks just english, he finds them more welcoming and friendlier. While speaking cantonese, they gave a more dont bother me attitude. Ofcourse its two different set of crew.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
I speak canto and english to the attendants on the same flight. Service always great and consistent. Although I have only been in J when doing SYD<->HKG.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
In contrast, as a (clearly Western looking) Brit living in HK, I speak basic Canto or Putonghua (depending on which language I've heard the FA using most) to the FAs when I fly with Cathay or Dragonair, even if it's only to say please and thank you. I tend to get much better service - I think the FAs appreciate a Westerner making the effort.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

In terms of Cathay, I think generally most FAs speak good English, although most of them prefer to speak Cantonese and quite some of them are willing to speak Mandarin, especially on KA and CX's own routes to mainland. This also holds true for other CX routes as a result of increasing number of mainland travellers transiting through Hong Kong. Since I speak both English and Mandarin as well as Cantonese, I have no problem with it.

I have only started taking CX two years ago so I would imagine that back to 20 years ago, English was widely used than Cantonese for inflight service.
By the way, I have some Hong Kong friends and they told me that (not sure if that's generally representative of HK as a society) that now they use less English and more Mandarin and of course Cantonese is prevalent.

But again, overall speaking, people in the service industries speaks much better English than their mainland counterparts. Sometimes I tend to switch to English because some people there just don't quite take Mandarin speakers seriously.
This is true, unfortunately ): (2nd paragraph)
There was one female KA FA (on flts to TPE/KHH) that could only speak Mandarin as well, so not only the Mainland.
SIN flights also periodically have Mandarin speaking FAs IME.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
There was one female KA FA (on flts to TPE/KHH) that could only speak Mandarin as well, so not only the Mainland.
How do you know she didnt speak English ? Being as speaking English is a requirement for the job.Always has been as I recall and I will check with people I know at KA/CX.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:17 am

With recent experience on MH, TG and GA, I'd have to say that the AVERAGE English skills on these three airlines are better than that on CX/KA. I stress AVERAGE. You would have seasoned flight attendants (20+ years of experience) on CX/KA whose English would be flawless.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Having said that, I also have to say that there is individual difference. I remembered one case very well with CX. It was a flight between HKG to PEK, the inflight service manager came to greet each and every First/Biz passenger. She first spoke Cantonese to me asking whether I can speak it and I said yes. She was very friendly and her smile looked very genuine. I could imagine that she would quickly switch her language channel if I did not give her confirmation earlier. So sometimes it's not just about language, it's about attitude. Even if I don't speak the language, I could still professionally express apology/gratitude in your language in combination with a sincere smile and that is not hard to do and it will make a difference.

Overall, CX service team has done a great job!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Sarkir
About a year ago, I was on flight from Europe to Beijing. I was in first class(upgraded from business). Just before landing, one of the three first class FAs handed me a card with her name and number printed on it. She also wrote her own cell number on it and the words "Please call me in Beijing if you need anything, I'd be glad to help. Have a great time... hope I can be part of it" Her English penmanship would put John Hancock to shame.

I thought she was interested in me personally or something... then I noticed that she gave the same card to the other 4 passengers as well. (all male) I chatted with another fellow first class passenger in immigration line. He said he also got the same card with the same writings on it. He told me that it was normal. I never did call... and to this day, I'm still wondering what she really meant, or would of done, if I did call.
Well. I guess she wants to find her Mr. Right? It makes much sense for her to do that to first class passengers from a realistic perspective.

Just curious to ask, what's the ethnicities of all the first passengers on that flight that day she wrote the card to?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Just curious to ask, what's the ethnicities of all the first passengers on that flight that day she wrote the card to?
+ age demographic?
I wonder if it would have been 'normal' for FA's to be giving out their personal number to 15 year olds...or seniors

What if the F cabin had mixture of male and female passengers? Female FA's personal # to male pax, and male FA's personal # to female paxs?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:16 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
+ age demographic?
I wonder if it would have been 'normal' for FA's to be giving out their personal number to 15 year olds...or seniors

What if the F cabin had mixture of male and female passengers? Female FA's personal # to male pax, and male FA's personal # to female paxs?
Last time when I flew first on SHA-PEK route, I asked one FA if I could get any souvenir with CA logo. She let me waited for one minute and then handed me one slip of paper and said to me:

I am sorry I can't find any on the plane. But I live in the airport area and there are shops where you can find what you want. I usually go with MY BOYFRIEND to buy the souvenir myself. Here is my number you can contact me if you need any further help. Can you also give me your details so I might post you one thing or two?

Actually I didn't think to much about what she said on the spot. I wrote her back my mobile.

But it looks like she considered my question"pick up lines"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.