Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Deteriorating English-language speaking ability of FAs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deteriorating English-language speaking ability of FAs

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by ACORD
Is that USD or HKD?

HK$...
Old May 31, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
How is this possible given that those who work in F have been with CX for many years already? The last SP that I spoke to has been working for CX for 21 years, and she enjoys working in F rather than being promoted to ISM.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:28 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kchika
How is this possible given that those who work in F have been with CX for many years already? The last SP that I spoke to has been working for CX for 21 years, and she enjoys working in F rather than being promoted to ISM.
Not all in F have worked there for 21 years. You even see some red skirts there these days.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 2:58 am

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
I have had a blonde-hair, blue-eye FA on a couple of CX flights (HKG-TPE if I recall correctly), although I can't remember her name. I am sure others will know who I am talking about.

Yes, her English was perfect. But her Cantonese was also of a high standard, I presume - good enough chat with passengers and to read the landing announcement. IMMD.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
HK$...
Let's be honest, FA is not exactly a skilled-labor job. It's glorified waiter/waitress. Which, at 9K/month based (which means in reality it's much more than that), is more than enough compensation and no it's not too much to ask the people to have good English skills to go with it.

Now, if CX flight attendants are required to learn Wing Chung like Hong Kong Airlines flight attendants, then yes, I would give them some slack in English skills...
Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
But those young kids in HK who are going to be good at English are likely to be more academically gifted and are not going to take a flight attendant career path.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by sxc
But those young kids in HK who are going to be good at English are likely to be more academically gifted and are not going to take a flight attendant career path.
Seems to me the best way for CX to get higher quality flight attendants
is to start a new flight attendant base across the border.(in China)
I'm sure hundreds, no thousands, of eager, well-educated young women
are eager to work for CX, and for a lot less pay. They are more likely
to have excellent Cantonese/Mandarin AND English skills!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: NZ, QF
Originally Posted by Sarkir
Seems to me the best way for CX to get higher quality flight attendants
is to start a new flight attendant base across the border.(in China)
I'm sure hundreds, no thousands, of eager, well-educated young women
are eager to work for CX, and for a lot less pay. They are more likely
to have excellent Cantonese/Mandarin AND English skills!
I believe they would be keen on working for CX but not compromise on salary level. The reason is that the Middle Eastern carriers are employing a large number of mainland chinese FA who have an excellent command of English with a fat pay cheque.

A few of my friends who are working a FA in Doha are paid almost RMB17-18k a month, basic plus allowances (they belong to lower ranks in the cabin crew). This is higher than what a typical junior CX FA earns I believe. Also, considering that their salaries are tax-free and their accomodation is provided by the company free, I bet this is a sough-after option for many FA-wannabe from the mainland China.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by ACORD
Is that USD or HKD?
thats HKD...merely around a 1000USD per month...but still considered high for many fresh grad or so..

FA in hong kong is not like FA in Europe or america, where people do it because they like it as a job, and not being treated on the same level either in terms of respect or so...many in hk just think FA are higher class of waiter/waiteress, as Cathay Boy said

and for english standard, I have been meeting FA with super good english, without chinese or cantonese accent, when communicating with pax and staffs. Maybe those are based outport rather than in HK
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by JALlover
thats HKD...merely around a 1000USD per month...but still considered high for many fresh grad or so..

FA in hong kong is not like FA in Europe or america, where people do it because they like it as a job, and not being treated on the same level either in terms of respect or so...many in hk just think FA are higher class of waiter/waiteress, as Cathay Boy said

and for english standard, I have been meeting FA with super good english, without chinese or cantonese accent, when communicating with pax and staffs. Maybe those are based outport rather than in HK
People in NA have low respect for FAs either, but they just dealt with it because they realized these FAs aren't going anywhere because of powerful unions behind them. NA pax would trade for CX FAs any day of the week. FAs in NA tend to make it a career because the more time they put in their salary and pension grows significantly. I'm pretty sure I can't say the same for most Asian airlines, including CX.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by JALlover

Claims that flight attendants in Hong Kong don't like their jobs or that they are not treated with respect unlike their American or European counterparts are simply untrue, and many FA's would find that claim laughable.

Remember Steven Slater? A male FA for jetBlue, Slater quit his job in an illegal and memorable manner because passengers did not give him respect, hit him, and verbally abused him. He instantly became a hero among other American FA's as they could relate to his experiences. Still think they get more respect over in the States?

And I highly doubt current FA's at American or European FA's love their job anymore, if they like it at all. Their attitude - indifferent at best, prison guard like at worst - suggest that they need the pay check in a bad economy and don't care about their jobs as the big powerful unions will protect them from bring fired. There is absolutely no way to convince me otherwise until their attitude becomes professionally respectful at the very least.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
HKG - TPE last night, I chatted with a FP (from HK) for about 5 mins and the ISM (from Malaysia) for about 20 mins. So it still happens, and I was in Y.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur
English language skills aren't the only aptitudes that wane in this situation. There are probably fewer FAs with precise fluency in multiple languages. I can recall individual CX staff who would go down the rows greeting passengers in English, Malay, and Cantonese on flights from SIN and KUL or PEN; and also FAs who could do the same in English, Korean, and Japanese on flights from SEL to TPE. This doesn't seem to occur today.
An individual from Hong Kong who is fluent in English and Chinese, and who MAY speak another language, is probably a McKinsey consultant with a Harvard MBA and paid by his/her client to fly CX in J class on an assignment, not working on the other side....
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy

Now, if CX flight attendants are required to learn Wing Chung like Hong Kong Airlines flight attendants, then yes, I would give them some slack in English skills...
Hong Kong Airlines flight attendants are trained in martial arts ??

I find CX FAs still a refreshing 'bunch' ... its nice to meet a cross section of different nationalities and races... especially the ones from Malaysia... 'oh, where are you from? '.. and when they find out that you have family from where they're from, well, the service level somewhat improves!!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Hong Kong Airlines flight attendants are trained in martial arts ??

I find CX FAs still a refreshing 'bunch' ... its nice to meet a cross section of different nationalities and races... especially the ones from Malaysia... 'oh, where are you from? '.. and when they find out that you have family from where they're from, well, the service level somewhat improves!!
The headlines all over the news websites made it very confusing as of course HK airlines is in fact China owned and CX is the de facto flag carrier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.