Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Op-Up chance for GO on CX Y vs. BA WT+?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub

Hi there,

Have read the sticky thread and used search on Op-Ups, but couldn't find anything suitable (or was not thorough enough).

I'm GO with MPC and have a round-trip flight HKG-LHR-ZHR-LHR-HKG and am already booked on V-class Eco for 06-10 June.

There's the opportunity to get a BA WT+ (Premium Eco) ticket - I'll get costs reimbursed, so difference does not count. The last time I've been with WT+ was a few years ago and I was not too impressed. Being a not too tall Asian, it's not the WT+ seat & service I'm after. However, I'm aware that WT+ would offer 110% of AM earned. Works out at around an extra 1,200 AM on HKG-LHR RT which is nice, but no major incentive.

The major incentive for me would be a potential Op-Up to J. Any ideas on whether chances for Op-Up would be higher on CX than on BA? I read that BA favours their own more and that BA Silver ranges higher than OneWorld Sapphire, etc. I guess so, but just wanted to get your valued opinions, since it's not Y against Y where CX would clearly win, but Y against Y+.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 23, 2011, 1:55 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
I take it you're on either 251 or 255?

I can assure you that you're not gonna get an op-up from Y to J on CX because 1. J is always overbooked and 2. there is A LOT of DMs.

Since you can get costs reimbursed, I'd suggest you go with BA WT+ and use 30k miles to upgrade to Club World. The added benefit of 1.1x Club Miles makes it a no brainer
Old May 23, 2011, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub
Thanks, kchika!

Yeah, it's not the first time I take the CX251 and you're indeed right about J being often overbooked. That's what I noticed on previous flights, but have hoped that maybe I was just unlucky before.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I've flown both these routes before a couple of times.

My experience is that as a GO, upgrades can happen from Y to J between HKG-LHR on the flights you mention. Not very frequent, but definitely not impossible especially during school holiday season.

From WT+ I've never been upgraded to CW.

I also fly WT+ to collect the extra miles only. The seat is about the worst Y+ seat you'll find anywhere.

My suggestion is that if you can, fly Y+ on QF HKG-LHR-HKG and buy a separate ticket for LHR-ZRH-LHR.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
As midlevels mentioned, upgrades happen now and then but can not be counted on. I'd be focusing more on getting exit row or bulkhead seats in economy class and a good lounge experience than hoping for to be upgraded.

As for increasing upgrade chances, book one of the more flexible booking classes on either OW airline, dress smartly and just deal with the people at check-in or at the gate counter in a friendly and not too pushy way.

And the unique opportunity to use MPC/Asia Miles to upgrade BA flights should be given concern as madame kchika points out.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: CX DM; TK Gold; AB Gold
was got upgraded on 251 (being a GO member) during student peak. But u guys are right, J always overbooked for 251 and 255, so the chance of op-up is low.

When i was a SL member (back to year 2005), i took BA WT+ several times, during student peak too, also got op-up to Club World. However, i can say, don't expect too much on CW as well, but if you look for a nice sleep on a fully flat bed, that's good!
Old May 23, 2011, 10:08 am

midlevels, the OP is flying 251 which means QF's schedule probably wouldn't suit him.

The net cost of upgrading from WT+ to CW on BA is 16,837 miles. When T class tix used be circa $13k including tax, I flew CW quite often. Since it has increased to circa HK$18k recently, I've given up on this option. For the OP though, this represents superb value for money (miles).
Old May 23, 2011, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks again, kchika. Price is at HKD 16.5K at the moment. But how did you calculate the 16,837 miles as "net cost" when you mentioned 30K before?

Of course I'm not counting on any Op-Ups. But am currently very short on miles, otherwise I would have already considered MFU long time ago (just redeemed 2x HKG-SFO-HKG F/Z-award tix with 1A/K for wedding anniversary) and another HKG-JFK-HKG for my wife on J-class, while I need to keep the remaining balance for a Y-J upgrade on same flight (trying to get on the new Cirrus biz class). 585K miles redemption in 2 months lets my account look a bit empty. With GO I'm not racking up that many miles like our DM's.

Yes, I was particularly looking into BA because of similarity in schedule to CX. Will be paddling in the HKG dragon boat race from 7am to 6pm on June 6 and catch either the 251 or similar flight at night. Don't think that I will have issues to fall asleep while totally exhausted. On return I can only leave on Friday evening, but want to make it back on time to meet up with friends at Hed Kandi Venetian pool party in Macau starting Sat evening (direct ferry from airport). So I'm quite limited in terms of flight options, but was hoping for higher Op-Up chance on either option. I guess only we FT'ers can come up with such schedules...
Old May 23, 2011, 12:21 pm

Earned miles in T class = 5,983*1.1*2 = 13,162
Cost of upgrade = 30,000
Net cost = 16,838 (one mile off )

Connecta, have you considered redeeming oneworld awards for both instead of round-trip awards? The savings could be huge...
Old May 23, 2011, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification on the calculation, kchika!

Still thinking how to come up with those 30,000 miles. Another thing is that our travel agent remarked that the BA WT+ is not upgradeable with miles. Guess this is related to booking through travel agent instead of directly with BA? Think I read something on the BA forum, but need to find back to confirm.

Uhm... not quite sure what you meant with OneWorld Awards. Are you suggesting I should either redeem on another OneWorld carrier, or split up the JFK and SFO trip either to two airlines not including CX or three including CX (OneWorld multi-carrier award)?
http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/charts

We're pretty much fixed on CX even if the miles are more. Would be our very first CX F experience and hopefully as well our first CX J Cirrus experience.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:42 pm

Do you have any credit card points that you could convert to Asia Miles?

What I meant by redeeming oneworld awards is that you can visit a lot more places instead of just SFO for a small amount of miles. If you're not totally set on CX, you can redeem HKG-SFO-LAX-NRT-HKG (~14,550 miles) for 190k miles . This puts you into zone 8 of the oneworld award chart that allows up to 18,000 flown miles, so you have another 3,500 miles to play around with. Alternatively, you can fly HKG-SFO-JFK-NRT//KIX-HKG (~17,800 miles) for 205k miles. If you have enough time, you can continue heading east and stop by and come back via Europe too.

In some circumstances, redeeming a oneworld award can be cheaper than just redeeming a round trip. For example, if visiting FRA or LHR, one can route HKG-FRA-LHR-NRT-HKG on a oneworld award. This would cost 155k miles in F instead of the usual 180k for a simple round-trip.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Yes, I still have a lot points with Fubon which are expiring July with the CC and I originally wanted to wait next month's bigger purchases to save on conversion fee. But maybe I shouldn't be too greedy about those HKD 100-150 fee... Still need to find out that travel agency thingy and upgradeability of BA WT+ tix.

OK, so it's indeed the OW multi-carrier awards you were suggesting. We're pretty much fixed on CX, as well because timing is not on our side (work travel schedule, etc). Wasn't thinking of the OW multi-carrier awards, but will def keep those in mind. Thanks! But at first I need to accrue some miles again...
Old May 24, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: CX DM; TK Gold; AB Gold
Originally Posted by kchika
Do you have any credit card points that you could convert to Asia Miles?

What I meant by redeeming oneworld awards is that you can visit a lot more places instead of just SFO for a small amount of miles. If you're not totally set on CX, you can redeem HKG-SFO-LAX-NRT-HKG (~14,550 miles) for 190k miles . This puts you into zone 8 of the oneworld award chart that allows up to 18,000 flown miles, so you have another 3,500 miles to play around with. Alternatively, you can fly HKG-SFO-JFK-NRT//KIX-HKG (~17,800 miles) for 205k miles. If you have enough time, you can continue heading east and stop by and come back via Europe too.

In some circumstances, redeeming a oneworld award can be cheaper than just redeeming a round trip. For example, if visiting FRA or LHR, one can route HKG-FRA-LHR-NRT-HKG on a oneworld award. This would cost 155k miles in F instead of the usual 180k for a simple round-trip.
hi, can you please kindly advise how i can book oneworld reward online? i haven't tried this before.

Thank you very much!
Old May 24, 2011, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
And the unique opportunity to use MPC/Asia Miles to upgrade BA flights should be given concern as madame kchika points out.
Wherever did you get the notion that kchika was a madame?

He is not.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification, jjpb3

cxlover, oneworld awards are only bookable through the service hotline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.