Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

CX to offer Amex Centurion Cardholders from Certain Countries MPC Diamond status

CX to offer Amex Centurion Cardholders from Certain Countries MPC Diamond status

Old Apr 8, 11, 4:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

One thing tho - this is the first Oneworld Emerald that can be obtained simply by holding a charge card. Won't the other OW members hate Cathay for this...to the extent of banning DMs from their lounges?
Old Apr 8, 11, 4:34 am

Programs: MP,QFF,HH,SPG
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Far more people spend more than the whisper figure HK$2-3M/year required on Amex than fly 120K in Club Miles.
And yet, far less Centurion basic card holders than CX diamond members. Go figure.
Old Apr 8, 11, 4:44 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

One thing tho - this is the first Oneworld Emerald that can be obtained simply by holding a charge card. Won't the other OW members hate Cathay for this...to the extent of banning DMs from their lounges?
Actually the other OW airlines will love CX as they collect a fee (paid by CX) every time a DM accesses a OW lounge, and this is more profitable than selling tickets. Now the other pax using the lounge may not be so happy with the additional crowding, but for the airline it is a great revenue source. Presumably CX is being paid by Amex so everyone makes money; the primary dilution is for CX Gold who are much less likely to get upgrades with these additional DMs (also affecting Emeralds). So again it is the other pax that pay, while the airline benefits. Seems like an easy decision for CX.
Old Apr 8, 11, 5:01 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends

Originally Posted by diesellife
Far more people spend more than the whisper figure HK$2-3M/year required on Amex than fly 120K in Club Miles.
And yet, far less Centurion basic card holders than CX diamond members. Go figure.
How many DMs are there, roughly? DM+ is like a hundred, what about "basic" DM?
Old Apr 8, 11, 5:46 am

Programs: MP,QFF,HH,SPG
I do not know the exact number, but it is likely to be > 11.7k.

Here is the theory:

If the top 1% of all diamond members is 117, then the bare minimum number of diamond member is 11700.

That is only the minimum as diamond plus is actually the top 1% by revenue. Then you add on diamond invitation, corporate deal etc.

Another way to look at the stats is the average frequent flyer numbers worldwide. There was an article somewhere mentioned that about 5% of the travellers travel 100k miles or more per annum. It is more realistic to think that in all cx travellers, at least 4-5% are diamonds.

It is only my estimate, but I am happy to accept your point of views on this matter.
Old Apr 8, 11, 6:46 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, 9W PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, AA PLT, BonvoyGld, LH, AI, UA, DL
It really doesn't have to be that complicated... there is a way to keep both camps happy.

CX in India launched a promotion with the Plat card whereby if you bought an Eco ticket using your card to USA you would get free silver and if you bought a premium cabin you would get free gold. This would be valid for a year and then one would have to requalify which is fair...
Old Apr 8, 11, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
http://www.journal-international.de/..._01.pdf#page=3

(assuming this isn't a hoax)

HK - early 2010 - 11.7K.

Australia - 6K

Read it and weep!
These are all circulation numbers and do not correlate 1:1 to the number of cardholders. I was told by someone I met who worked on selling the ad space that the number of cardholders is approx 1/2 of the circulation numbers.

And just a point of reference, many centurion card holders (like me) travel on aoneX tickets so it would be impossible for us to imperil any other mpc members' potential upgrade chances.
Old Apr 8, 11, 9:12 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Actually the other OW airlines will love CX as they collect a fee (paid by CX) every time a DM accesses a OW lounge, and this is more profitable than selling tickets.
I'm not 100% sure, but I somehow thought, it's the operating airline paying for the lounge access, and not the member's "home airline" ? e.g. if a CX DM flying BA visits a BA lounge...CX actually doesn't need to pay anything. but if a CX DM flying BA visits an AA lounge, then it's BA paying AA for the lounge access, but not CX paying ? CX pays only when it's say a CX DM flying CX visiting BA lounge...then BA gets paid by CX since it's CX operating the flight (and not because the member comes from CX program). but I might be mistaken...
Old Apr 8, 11, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by tedhl View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I somehow thought, it's the operating airline paying for the lounge access, and not the member's "home airline" ? e.g. if a CX DM flying BA visits a BA lounge...CX actually doesn't need to pay anything. but if a CX DM flying BA visits an AA lounge, then it's BA paying AA for the lounge access, but not CX paying ? CX pays only when it's say a CX DM flying CX visiting BA lounge...then BA gets paid by CX since it's CX operating the flight (and not because the member comes from CX program). but I might be mistaken...
Yes, you are right. If CX DM flying on BA ticket visiting BA lounge, CX doesn't need to pay anything. It's only if that CX DM is flying CX that visits BA lounge, then BA can charge CX per person per visit (which explains why BA crew in JFK are giving away lounge access to anyone that travels with elite fliers. When I was SL the BA crew actually gave me +2 when I had two clients traveling with me, but CX benefits clearly indicates SL are not allowed to bring in any guest.)

So if Centurions card holders are getting OW Emerald and are flying the same airline as the lounge operators, then they don't make any more money.
Old Apr 11, 11, 2:07 am

Programs: CX Diamond / Hyatt Courtesy C./ Hertz
For those who appreciate the main value of being DM, the upgrades.
For those who understand that upgrade chances will go down with a bigger number of "upgradable" members (more DM).
For those who feel that they are doing Cathay a favour by concentrating all their trips on one airline, even when the routing is not really convenient, making almost 200.000 miles per year in my case.

Then, the news that DM status may be kind of "sold" to big spenders is totally outrageous.

I think Cathay should think twice because in my case I have been approached more than once by other airlines offering elite status immediately in case I switch my loyalty to them.

Old Apr 11, 11, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Grichka View Post
For those who appreciate the main value of being DM, the upgrades.
For those who understand that upgrade chances will go down with a bigger number of "upgradable" members (more DM).
For those who feel that they are doing Cathay a favour by concentrating all their trips on one airline, even when the routing is not really convenient, making almost 200.000 miles per year in my case.

Then, the news that DM status may be kind of "sold" to big spenders is totally outrageous.

I think Cathay should think twice because in my case I have been approached more than once by other airlines offering elite status immediately in case I switch my loyalty to them.

I am totally on your boat buddy. And ironically, if CX do make this happen, they will lost revenue from me since I would get DM for free (as Centurion holder) and probably fly AA exclusively from now on. The only reason I don't bother to go to AA at the moment is I don't want to start over (not even the ever non-stop offer of challenges to PLT level). But, if Centurion card can make me OW Emerald right away.....
Old Apr 11, 11, 10:11 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I for one, have turned down the AMEX Centurion. If they were to offer Diamond, I would take the Centurion card. Right now I make an effort, moving schedules or adding trips, to assure I re qualify for Diamond. If I can do this via Centurion, this will be 2 less Business class transpacific tickets I will purchase per year.

Last edited by traveler18; Apr 11, 11 at 10:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 11, 11, 11:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by tedhl View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I somehow thought, it's the operating airline paying for the lounge access, and not the member's "home airline" ? ...
The source of the lounge entitlement pays for the lounge access. If pax is flying J or F then it is paid for by the airline flying that sector (e.g. CX Diamond flying AA J using BA lounge, then AA pays BA for the lounge access). If no service based entitlement, eg. CX DM flying Y on AA and using the BA lounge, then CX pays BA. Never does BA pay, they make money selling the lounge access to the "operating" airline, which is AA for J or F in this example, and CX for Y. Fair, simple and reasonable (and why Oneworld allows any lounge to be used for COS access as well as status based access).
Old Apr 11, 11, 11:58 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
If this rumour is true, then I wouldn't be surprised if CX ignores the Centurion Diamonds when it comes to upgrade priority. I have absolutely no proof that they will do this, I'm just expecting they would be sensible and do the right thing by their loyal customers. I suspect that the only benefit they will get is F lounge access.

But again...I have no idea.
Old Apr 12, 11, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
If this rumour is true, then I wouldn't be surprised if CX ignores the Centurion Diamonds when it comes to upgrade priority. I have absolutely no proof that they will do this, I'm just expecting they would be sensible and do the right thing by their loyal customers. I suspect that the only benefit they will get is F lounge access.

But again...I have no idea.
With the possibility of angering a bunch of Centurion DMs, who if the logic holds the CX are trying to lure as potential committed flyers of CX?

But then again op-up is not an official published benefit, but yeah, CX can do whatever they want.

Like another poster said. I try my damnest to fly CX/KA on my trips to China/East Asia to make sure I will quality (and now re-quality) for DM. Even taking CX/KA to further cities in China and backtrack myself with High Speed Rail or D-rails. But if I can get DM just by my membership of Centurion....

Search this Thread