Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to offer Amex Centurion Cardholders from Certain Countries MPC Diamond status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to offer Amex Centurion Cardholders from Certain Countries MPC Diamond status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by ACORD
I wouldn't get too hot under the collar about this.

CX already give away DM status to folks from large corporate accounts and this is just an extension of this.

If, through moves like this, CX can attract more passangers who routinely buy J/F tickets the better it is for all of us -- CX will invest more in the product and will be less likely to reduce the number of routes with an F cabin - which is the one single thing that would stop me flying CX.
Unlikely. It will probably be more like what Jane says: "Ok, I got my OW Emerald, time to book miles into *A or Skyteam."
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Speak for yourself.
Yep, AMEX Centurion owner here that is actually upset about the news...
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by diesellife
I thought the HK Centurion members are not getting the CX Diamond, but then again I could be wrong.
I believe that since AMEX has different requirements for achieving Centurion in different countries, not all cardholders will automatically get it.

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Seriously, I don't see anything super-exclusive in a silly CX DM card. An AMEX black card maybe, but I can't see how you can get so excited by a frequent flyer card.
You are saying this on FlyerTalk??

But to be honest folks, after chatting with a few of my frequent flyer friends, I wouldn't be too worried about it honestly, because:

1) Top spenders from Centurion will get it. And to be honest, you won't see many top Centurion spenders in LMV fares sitting in the back; they probably fly J or F (or even have their own planes!!) anyways, so honestly they either already have status, or don't fly often enough to get Diamond but bring in a lot of full fare premium cabin revenue for CX, which we all know CX loves.

2) This is not lifetime DM membership. I know that the MPC have changed their benefits in the past before, and I know for sure that AMEX have changed benefits for Centurion in the past as well. Maybe its a one year thing, maybe its a few years, but despite the fact that impact should be minimal, I guess we're not seeing an influx of DM lifetime members.

Now, maybe we were just trying to reassure ourselves, but I was a little less worried after our discussion. What are your thoughts?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ACORD
If this guy flys full F all the time it hardly makes a difference what status he is.
Originally Posted by QRC3288
You would be shocked . This individual, if he books through his formal channels, is actually a "'VIP" on CX and other carriers when he flies. [snip] I suspect he could get DM arranged if he wanted, but I guess it's more of a status thing - people, even important ones, have natural human emotions towards earning something they don't have.
sorry QRC3288 i hope i dont sound mean to your friend as i ought not be anyone to comment,
but if he uses Centurion chances are that he likes to be known by status. being DM (or DM+) would be a good way to stand out :P so yes, status would make a difference heehe.

Last edited by kaka; Apr 5, 2011 at 8:40 am
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:26 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Yep, AMEX Centurion owner here that is actually upset about the news...
All of a sudden the card doesn't seem as exclusive as it claims to be
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Two points:

1) Amex Centurion - not that exclusive. I know many. Annual fee in HK is approx HK$20000 p.a. versus HK$5500 for Platinum.

2) Does anybody have a email address or postal address for Katie Rowen? I think if enough people write to her about this, it may cause them to reconsider renewing this agreement.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
I wouldn't get too upset about it yet. I have a feeling this might just be an elaborately-orchestrated, long-form April Fool's joke.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:58 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
There really aren't very many Centurions...
The number isn't secret as Amex markets their centurions for product placement and advertising (using Centurion magazine, formerly called Black Ink). For Asia there are 14,000 centurions (would guess less than half in HKG, but who knows?), and 6,000 in Australia. Compared to 50,000 in Europe (again less than half in UK, presumably). Average net worth is EUR 4.5 million, and income is EUR 600,000 ... so a well known and defined demographic. CX DM equivalent status has been offered as a Centurion benefit for several years now by various airlines (e.g. DL, US Air) as well as the free upgrades and free companion tickets. Mandarin Oriental has offered free hotel nights (with a paid night) for years, and doesn't seem to suffer for it
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, UA MPP, HH, Marriot, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
The number isn't secret as Amex markets their centurions for product placement and advertising (using Centurion magazine, formerly called Black Ink). For Asia there are 14,000 centurions (would guess less than half in HKG, but who knows?), and 6,000 in Australia. Compared to 50,000 in Europe (again less than half in UK, presumably). Average net worth is EUR 4.5 million, and income is EUR 600,000 ... so a well known and defined demographic. CX DM equivalent status has been offered as a Centurion benefit for several years now by various airlines (e.g. DL, US Air) as well as the free upgrades and free companion tickets. Mandarin Oriental has offered free hotel nights (with a paid night) for years, and doesn't seem to suffer for it
Numbers look a bit odd. The average income of EUR600k is believable, but the average net spend is EUR4.5m seems a bit high? I know many people who earn 2-3x that a year but unlikely to put even EUR1m on all of their cards together. It will be interesting to know what is spent on the 4.5m!!! It is odd that according to AMEX the average spend is 7.5x the average income!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by iconic
Numbers look a bit odd. The average income of EUR600k is believable, but the average net spend is EUR4.5m seems a bit high? I know many people who earn 2-3x that a year but unlikely to put even EUR1m on all of their cards together. It will be interesting to know what is spent on the 4.5m!!! It is odd that according to AMEX the average spend is 7.5x the average income!

net worth, not annual spend.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: CX DM, UA MPP, HH, Marriot, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
net worth, not annual spend.
yes! my eyes are totally deceiving me!!! my bad!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
much to the chagrin of all you butt in seat DM mile folk.. all i can say is

cahmonnnnnnnnn Diamond for Centurion!!!!!!!!

ps. im not potty trained either.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by chinatown
much to the chagrin of all you butt in seat DM mile folk.. all i can say is

cahmonnnnnnnnn Diamond for Centurion!!!!!!!!

ps. im not potty trained either.

DM for Centurions will be warmly welcomed by those who can't get DM by 120K Club Miles - like my parents.

If this does actually go thorugh (esp for HKG-based Centurions) there'll be a huge increase in # of applicants - those who didn't think Amex earned the 19.8K annual fee.

There's already other benefits they like - the private clubs benefit http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...hong-kong.html and the Infinite Rewards (they blow >160K annually http://www.americanexpress.com/hk/en...ms_basic.shtml)
Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by number_6
http://www.journal-international.de/..._01.pdf#page=3

(assuming this isn't a hoax)

HK - early 2010 - 11.7K.

Australia - 6K

Read it and weep!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:23 am

Far more people spend more than the whisper figure HK$2-3M/year required on Amex than fly 120K in Club Miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.