Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

1 economy seat, 1 business seat. Can we swap?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

For a number of reasons that I won't waste everyone's time with now, we are contemplating the following itinerary: I have a business class seat on a JFK-HKG CX flight and Mr. Girlsmom4 is only able to snag an economy seat. Is there a way we can swap midway through the flight so we can each get some rest? Or is that considered really terrible?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Normal etiquette is that you can swap seats at the start of the flight, but not midway.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
That is at the discretion of the ISM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
I don't think they'll object as long as you are not consuming two sets of J meals and are not swapping back-and-forth every 10 mins. Just make sure you pick a J seat close to the Y section and similarly, chose a 30-something isle seat in Y (on the same side as the J) to minimise disruption to the crew and others onboard.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
We've done this in the past with no problem. I would say to avoid hassles from the crew (esp if the ISM is elsewhere) then get a seat in the last row of Business. It doesn't really matter where the Y seat is (although aisle is the most friendly...).
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KO2546
I don't think they'll object as long as you are not consuming two sets of J meals and are not swapping back-and-forth every 10 mins.
That is they key right there IMO.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
That is at the discretion of the ISM.
I really doubt the ISM will give you much trouble if you are swapping seats and if they challenge you just say what you did. What they don't like is a Y pax coming up and chat extensively with a J pax (but vice-versa they don't care.) So like others said, if you're not over doing it (do it every few hours and not few minutes) then I really don't see the ISM giving you problem (unless he or she is having a bad day that is.)
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I really doubt the ISM will give you much trouble if you are swapping seats and if they challenge you just say what you did. What they don't like is a Y pax coming up and chat extensively with a J pax (but vice-versa they don't care.) So like others said, if you're not over doing it (do it every few hours and not few minutes) then I really don't see the ISM giving you problem (unless he or she is having a bad day that is.)
In general, doing it once should be okay - not counting the one time if you swap during boarding.

During a chat with an ISM several years ago (before the herringbone style business class was introduced), she told me that she was concerned about complaints from neighbouring passengers if passengers kept swapping seats. Of course, there is no neighbour in the herringbone style J. (Personally, I don't care if my "neighbour" keep swapping in the herringbone style J. I probably won't even notice)

Anyway, while it is unlikely a problem to swap once, it is up to the ISM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I really doubt the ISM will give you much trouble if you are swapping seats and if they challenge you just say what you did.
Indeed, all ISMs are smart enough to avoid unneccessary trouble. Unless you inconvenienced other guests or shift your seat in a high profile, I doubt he/she will interfere you
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KO2546
I don't think they'll object as long as you are not consuming two sets of J meals and are not swapping back-and-forth every 10 mins. Just make sure you pick a J seat close to the Y section and similarly, chose a 30-something isle seat in Y (on the same side as the J) to minimise disruption to the crew and others onboard.
The only other problem I could see is if you both took advantage of the free booze, though it certainly doesn't sound like that's what you have in mind.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
The only other problem I could see is if you both took advantage of the free booze, though it certainly doesn't sound like that's what you have in mind.
I think you may spend too much time on US airlines..., alcohol is free in EY class on CX, as well as every other flag or non-LCC Asian carrier I'm aware of
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:06 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I know this may not be the case for this example, but swapping seats is a problem when you are swapping between different types of tickets. For example, buying a child J ticket, and then putting the child in Y while the adult sits in J. This is a big no no.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends on the age of the child, but for those who are 6 years or younger, I highly doubt parents will leave them out of sight in a separate cabin.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:36 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Though you might have a couple buying 2 Y seats, and a child J seat, and the adults then swap around using the J seat while one is supervising the child..
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I think you may spend too much time on US airlines..., alcohol is free in EY class on CX, as well as every other flag or non-LCC Asian carrier I'm aware of
One exception may be japan domestic flights

Last edited by ChrisLi; Dec 23, 2010 at 5:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.