Wiki Posts
Search

Verify credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Verify credit card?

I bought ticket online for my parents on my AMEX. They'll be flying from HKG and I'm in US. How can I verify my credit card without heading out to airport? Google says CX has NYC office on 5th Ave, but I can't find any official listing on CX.com.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by adamak
I bought ticket online for my parents on my AMEX. They'll be flying from HKG and I'm in US. How can I verify my credit card without heading out to airport? Google says CX has NYC office on 5th Ave, but I can't find any official listing on CX.com.
It happened to me 2 years ago, maybe 3. Don't go there (5th ave), I went there, and they said they moved to airport "years" ago. Eventually, I found out I should just went to the airport, much faster than keep waiting long the SFO, HKG service line rep "tried" to find out where I should go. And yes, the airport rep can put it on the note, and no problem whatsoever.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

But is there still an office on 5th Ave? Or do they just not want to see customer? I really would rather try 5th Ave cause it's just so much easier than JFk.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:23 pm

But is there still an office on 5th Ave? Or do they just not want to see customer? I really would rather try 5th Ave cause it's just so much easier than JFk.
I personally went there, and the security warned me that it's not open to public, anyway, I went up, and someone opened the door and told me the ticketing office moved years ago. So, I don't think you should try.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club, CX MPC, Marriot Rewards, Priority Club
Yes, there is still an office on 5th Ave (near 43rd St) but you will NOT be able to verify your credit card there. I went there in January & the CX staff told me that I have to do it at the airport. That office serve different purpose.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a Corporate Sales office, not a ticketing office.@:-) If your office purchases CX tickets in 7 figures annually, that's where you go to get a corporate discount.

Like most airlines in USA, the only CX ticketing offices are at the airports.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Call CX res and ask them what to do. They might send you an indemnity form to sign so that your parents have to show at check in.

Otherwise you might just have to head out to the airport for this!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:59 pm

That message shows up every time when I buy tickets on CX.com but never have I been asked to show the card at the airport.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Serg_2012
That message shows up every time when I buy tickets on CX.com but never have I been asked to show the card at the airport.
But better be safe than sorry.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Two things to note:

1) If the transaction is done using 3D Auth like Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode, then no need to show any card during checkin, even for third party tickets.

2) I've been travelling with someone before where they were asked to show the card used to book, and they did not have it with them. In that case, at the Airport Express in HK, they sent us to the ticketing desk and asked to pay again with another credit card and then refunded the original payment method.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
Two things to note:

1) If the transaction is done using 3D Auth like Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode, then no need to show any card during checkin, even for third party tickets.

2) I've been travelling with someone before where they were asked to show the card used to book, and they did not have it with them. In that case, at the Airport Express in HK, they sent us to the ticketing desk and asked to pay again with another credit card and then refunded the original payment method.
^
But normally, we don't want our parent pay for it.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:27 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But better be safe than sorry.
+1, there have been posts on FT about denied boarding when the CC was not presented.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:42 am
Original Poster

This is nuts. CX still treats internet transaction like it's 1994. What happens if I don't live in NY? Fly to JFK just to show them the card?
And I've been trying to call the 800# for 30 minutes, busy tone. ;(
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:31 am

This is nuts. CX still treats internet transaction like it's 1994. What happens if I don't live in NY? Fly to JFK just to show them the card?
And I've been trying to call the 800# for 30 minutes, busy tone. ;(
What's the purpose to keep calling them as they can't help you over the phone. Just take the advise from midlevels.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Serg_2012
For CX SL or above, they waive this requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.