Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX resumes salary negotiation w/ FA union. Possible industrial action if ends badly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX resumes salary negotiation w/ FA union. Possible industrial action if ends badly

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:07 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

According to a Hong Kong newspaper Apple Daily, CX will resume talk with FAU next Tuesday. The last negotiation was 10 years ago. CX tends not to give too much raise and would like to use a scheme that reflects the company performance, e.g. through bonuses. FAU stresses the raise can't be less than inflation and might work with KA's union and consider taking industrial actions in Dec.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
When you about "Possible", and the answer always YES.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:52 am
Original Poster

I don't like how FAU starts talking about industrial actions even before the negotiation begins. Do they really have to threaten to strike and use that as their bargaining power every time
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
I don't like how FAU starts talking about industrial actions even before the negotiation begins. Do they really have to threaten to strike and use that as their bargaining power every time
equally i hate employers stating their collective intentions for a payrise of X-Y% (which the latest one was somewhere around 2 and 3)... gladly my company has sth higher than that.

Also, i'm not flying CX any soon
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
equally i hate employers stating their collective intentions for a payrise of X-Y% (which the latest one was somewhere around 2 and 3)... gladly my company has sth higher than that.

Also, i'm not flying CX any soon
Any news link to show the difference between FAU and CX? I guess now we know CX will offer 2-3%, how much do FAU want? 5%? 10%?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:43 pm

the last negotiation was in 2001. my flight (cx889) didn't leave until 3am. i was in the J lounge and they kept it open. the food was better than now.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

According to today's Apple Daily, the negotiations didn't go well and both pilots and flight attendants unions might strike
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

According to today's Apple Daily, FAU set Dec 6 2010 as the deadline for CX to give them a satisfactory reply about their raises. If not, they will decide what to do next with their members.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

http://news.mingpao.com/20101117/gma1h.htm (article in Chinese)

CX will give FAs 4-4.5% raise and will give out bonuses (an extra month of salary (雙糧) plus bonus equals to at least 5 weeks of salary) this year. CX claims this is the most generous raise in the last 10 years.

But FAU is still not satisfied and claims CX is just playing with numbers. In fact they are only giving those contractors 1.5% raise, way below of the 7% they asked for. They request more negotiations.

Looks like there's still a big gap between the two parties.

Below are quotes from Apple Daily (in Chinese)

國泰空中服務員工會對加薪幅度表示失望。工會主席黎玉嬋說,國泰 07年盈利只及今年一半,但當年的加薪幅度達 5至 5.6%,「公司今年賺咁多,但人工加咁少。」她說,稍後會諮詢會員意見,若會員不接受加薪幅度,不排除在 聖誕節發動工業行動抗爭。
Basically says FAU is disappointed. In 2007, CX only had half of this year's profits but they received 5-5.6% raise. But this year they have huge profit but give out so little raise. If the union members are not satisfied with the raise, they will consider taking industrial actions during X'mas.

Last edited by JALPak; Nov 16, 2010 at 2:51 pm
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Any news link to show the difference between FAU and CX? I guess now we know CX will offer 2-3%, how much do FAU want? 5%? 10%?
FAU wants 7%
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:16 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
But FAU is still not satisfied and claims CX is just playing with numbers. In fact they are only giving those contractors 1.5% raise, way below of the 7% they asked for. They request more negotiations.
CX PR says otherwise.

Mr Tyler added that through the combination of profit share, discretionary 13th month payment and salary increments, staff will be significantly better off than they were last year. “This is just as it should be when our business is so strong,” he said, adding that the Local Staff Union has agreed to the package.
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0007d21c39____

Last edited by toyotaboy95; Nov 17, 2010 at 2:22 am Reason: bold text
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:56 am

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
Paying a discretionary bonus and having the annual adjustment kept at a minimum is always a good way of keeping the cost base low in the long term. Given that most of the FA these days don't see their time with CX as a long term career they should be happy about the deal offered. Would they prefer 10% but no 13th month + 5 weeks?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
I believe FAU is a different union. The local staff union is for ground staff only?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

What a perfect storm....FAU and pilot union might strike...and now union HAESL (the company responsible for aircraft maintenance) might take industrial actions too

http://news.mingpao.com/20101118/ggb1.htm (From HK newspaper Ming Pao Daily, article in Chinese)
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I need advice from posters following the situation with those planned actions. I hold a double booking for my family trip back to Europe for Xmas. I need to issue tickets soon. One is more expensive CX. I would favor CX unless there is a real chance of industrial action. What would the VX experts say: 5% chance, 10%, ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.