Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flying CX, 19 hour layover, baggage rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying CX, 19 hour layover, baggage rules?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by nivla83
Sorry to highjack this thread but may I know if I need to exit immigration and retrieve my luggage, then check in again for my next destination?

I'm arriving from SIN via SQ F, with 12hrs layover and connecting to ICN via CX J. It's my first time transferring from different airlines, so not sure how is the process like.
SQ should be able to check your bags through to ICN- just request and present. It's tickets.

In theory, you could stay in transit, but with a 12h layover I'd highly recommend heading to the city.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jagmeets
SQ should be able to check your bags through to ICN- just request and present. It's tickets.

In theory, you could stay in transit, but with a 12h layover I'd highly recommend heading to the city.
However if they're separate bookings SQ may choose not to check through to CX. Best to ask the SQ forum about this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:11 pm

Thanks for the advice.

My only concern i guess was if I choose to stay within the transit area, what will happen to my luggage since its transfer from different carriers on 2 separate tickets. Both on redemption.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If you don't collect your baggage within a reasonable period, it will go into lost and found.

Apparently there is a service at HK transit desks that you can request where they will actually pick up the bag and retag it for you while you stay airside, but I've never seen this in practice and never seen it documented on any official websites.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by sxc
If you don't collect your baggage within a reasonable period, it will go into lost and found.

Apparently there is a service at HK transit desks that you can request where they will actually pick up the bag and retag it for you while you stay airside, but I've never seen this in practice and never seen it documented on any official websites.
Yup Yup, thats my concern.

If I take the later flight from SIN, that leaves me 2hr of transit time. If I were to go out and in again, might waste my chance of exploring CX Lounges.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
You're worrying too much over nothing.

Just request SQ to check bags all the way through, which they should.

If they do, then on arrival either clear security to the departure level and enjoy the lounges, or, clear immigration, visit the city and get back in time for your flight.

If they don't, clear immigration, collect your bags, check them in with CX and either go back airside through security/immigration and enjoy the lounges, or, head to the city.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, National EE, HH Diamond
I am flying RDU-DFW-HKG-HGH next week. DFW-HKG is on AA and HKG to HGH is on Cathay Dragon. This was all purchased on one ticket through AA. Any idea if I will need to pick up my bags and recheck at HKG? Does anyone have experience with this?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Bob111R
I am flying RDU-DFW-HKG-HGH next week. DFW-HKG is on AA and HKG to HGH is on Cathay Dragon. This was all purchased on one ticket through AA. Any idea if I will need to pick up my bags and recheck at HKG? Does anyone have experience with this?
No need to recheck at HKG. Just make sure at RDU the bag is through-tagged to HGH, and you will only see your bag at HGH.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: QF
Hello, all. A return to this question... Flying CX MEL-HKG-ZRH, with a 19-hour layover, on the one ticket. Still the case that our luggage can be checked straight through, with no need to collect in Hong Kong? Thanks in advance... .
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by antinomy
Hello, all. A return to this question... Flying CX MEL-HKG-ZRH, with a 19-hour layover, on the one ticket. Still the case that our luggage can be checked straight through, with no need to collect in Hong Kong? Thanks in advance... .
Yes you can get them to check your luggage all the way through to ZRH. So when you transit in HKG you can enjoy the city without the hassle of the luggage!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Another option for a short stay in HK without going into "real" downtown Kowloon or Hong Kong Island is to stay on Lantau Island itself, where HKIA is located - at the nearby CityGate Outlet Mall with an excellent indoor food court with international selection of good foods. The Novotel CityGate Hotel attached to the mall is a 5 minutes drive away from the airport or 10 minutes via MTR Subway Train (not the Airport Express Train) - 5 minutes walk inside the airport to the subway train and 5 minutes ride. Banking services, including ATM, 7-11 stores, pharmacies are either inside the mall, on street level/next to the MTR Subway & Bus Terminal, or across the street at the hi-rise residential building towers.

You will be able to shower, sleep & adjust to timezone changes, and still find time to check out outlet-priced Polo and Nike, etc. after sampling various eateries at the food court or just hang out at the local Starbuck or McDonalds.
Thus is duff information (see according to the MTR network map)
The Tung Chung line stops at Tung Chung and does not go to the airport
Only the Airport Express goes to the airport
MTR > System Map
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: CX Gold
There’s no MTR station in HKIA.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Hi guys,
i will be connecting in HKG next week on two separate tickets.
Arriving Tuesday afternoon from LHR (BA) and connecting on Wednesday morning (KA) to Mainland China.
Do you think it’s gonna be possible to check my bags through and if it’s not possible, is it possible to check your bags the day before your flight in the afternoon at HKIA (flying business on KA).
I understand that it’s possible at in town check in but can’t find any rules about it being possible in HKIA.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Another option for a short stay in HK without going into "real" downtown Kowloon or Hong Kong Island is to stay on Lantau Island itself, where HKIA is located - at the nearby CityGate Outlet Mall with an excellent indoor food court with international selection of good foods. The Novotel CityGate Hotel attached to the mall is a 5 minutes drive away from the airport or 10 minutes via MTR Subway Train (not the Airport Express Train) - 5 minutes walk inside the airport to the subway train and 5 minutes ride. Banking services, including ATM, 7-11 stores, pharmacies are either inside the mall, on street level/next to the MTR Subway & Bus Terminal, or across the street at the hi-rise residential building towers.

You will be able to shower, sleep & adjust to timezone changes, and still find time to check out outlet-priced Polo and Nike, etc. after sampling various eateries at the food court or just hang out at the local Starbuck or McDonalds.
+ 1 on the recommendation for the Novotel, but you CANNOT get there on the train. You need to take a bus or taxi. Bus is cheap - 64X or S1 will get you there in about 10 mins. They are very frequent. Pick up on the ground floor (take the lifts in the corner of the arrival hall opposite the side you come out... one at each end, one bus stop at each end too).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.