Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX 712 SIN-HKG, stop in Bangkok, time to see duty free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)

I'll be on CX712 going between SIN and HKG on September 23rd, in J. Not sure how long the stopover is - looks like about an hour going by today's schedule. I've only been to BKK as a destination, not for a connection.

So questions: is there an opportunity to deplane and get anything from the duty free? This would require going up from arrivals to departures, right? If there's not enough time, will we be required to deplane to the boarding lounge and stay there or allowed to remain at our seats?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: QF WP (OW Emerald)
according to other posts, in BKK, you MUST stay on the plane during transit, so no luck to go to duty free or the lounge.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mleung89
according to other posts, in BKK, you MUST stay on the plane during transit, so no luck to go to duty free or the lounge.
Thanks! Duty free would be nice, but onboard in a comfy J seat beats the uncomfy boarding lounge.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
DUty free in BKK is simply not worth it... unless you want to buy packaged dried fruits.

Singapore's Changi Airport still holds the best duty free items around and at better prices than most in the region!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
DUty free in BKK is simply not worth it... unless you want to buy packaged dried fruits.

Singapore's Changi Airport still holds the best duty free items around and at better prices than most in the region!
Just depends on what you're looking for; I doubt my wife would have actually bought anything, but it has some entertainment value and she hasn't yet seen the new airport.

As for BKK duty free not being worth it, I certainly avoid King Power! Some of the other shopping options aren't bad - the Boots inside security can be very handy, especially given that Thailand requires prescriptions for very few things, and when flying out of the heat, a 7 baht cone at DQ is hard to beat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.