Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

op-up for entire family after altercation with ground staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM

chinese : http://news.mingpao.com/20100811/gba1.htm

google translate : http://translate.google.com/translat...sl=zh-CN&tl=en
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I've tried reading the Chinese version of it, hope I understood it since I rarely need to use it these days .

But in reality, CX should've just kicked them out, money back, fly on your dime!!! You can't fight crew member, ground or flight, period.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:16 pm

From what I got out of the translated page:

* Family of four were not at the gate on time
* Their bags were offloaded
* When they did finally arrive at the gate, they freaked out
* One of them claimed to be a lawyer (whoop dee doo - so am I, doesn't mean I can behave like a selfish child)
* Cathay rewarded these fine passengers with upgrades for all of them and a courtesy shuttle

Does this remind anyone of the incident that was filmed by Cathay gate staff where the woman was late, freaked out, threw a child-like tantrum, and then got upgraded on the next flight?

What sort of message is this sending out? The appropriate action would be to ban these idiots from ever flying Cathay again.

Last edited by Ann Tyrol; Aug 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Sad story... I was totally shocked. It's passively penalize the staff. I don't care the pax are DM+ or VIP, you just can't let everyone (on the plane) wait for them, while they should know the boarding time. Followed by kicking GA's .... Called the police was the best and only solution. The management has no idea how to handel this "simple" situation. he should be fired immediately...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
In US, standard procedure is taser-handcuff-jail. And for lawyer, perhaps followed by disbarment. Everybody on Earth except four will be happy.

In this case, the CX manager making arrangements for the upgrades should be disciplined for setting a bad example.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
This is not on !

Imagine that there will be many people purposely timing themselves to be late at the gate in the hopes of getting upgraded...

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Aug 11, 2010 at 1:39 am
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
agree with everyone else. This kind of "reward" penalises the rest of us who follow the rules. Disgusting.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
We haven't heard the other side of the story yet...
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
the other side of the story

A case report written by the agent involved, which includes the full names of the passengers, has been circulated among the ground staff. Apparently the media was able to get hold of it. A couple of local papers (Apple / Oriental Daily) managed to contact one of the passengers, who now works at the HKMA, for his side of the story.

He basically denied any wrongdoings and maintained that he did not tell the agent his occupation, nor asked for any special treatment. He accused the agent of lying on the assualt. He has filed a formal complaint to CX and is now very unhappy that his identity is revealed by CX staff.

I feel that CX may have to offer some goodwill gesture to the family again for the leak of identity, no matter which side is lying.

Last edited by hadsst; Aug 11, 2010 at 4:38 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:09 am

Wow, I'm all for upgrades for pax but this is ridiculous. They were late, they cursed and attack the staff, and they were upgraded?!?!?! Maybe one of them is a lawyer "helps", but this is ridiculous.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
is there any CX shareholders out there? upgrading ppl who purpously make a fuss cannot be acting at the best interest of shareholders... and to keep low morale within the workforce.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: CX Diamond Plus, BA Gold, SQ
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Sad story... I was totally shocked. It's passively penalize the staff. I don't care the pax are DM+ or VIP, you just can't let everyone (on the plane) wait for them, while they should know the boarding time. ..
I don't believe status is the point, whoever you are you just need to follow the rules and be polite with the staff...which interestingly enough is probably the case of every elite status member...we fly too much, we know the rules.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Optm
I don't believe status is the point, whoever you are you just need to follow the rules and be polite with the staff...which interestingly enough is probably the case of every elite status member...we fly too much, we know the rules.
Good point. My wife's friend told me they appreciate DM and GO members because they fly so often, they are usually friendly, and some even become good friends with CX staff over the years.

However, I do see more and more arguing and people demanding "compensation" for any and all reasons. Refusing to deplane seems to be a common tactic nowadays.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by hadsst
He basically denied any wrongdoings and maintained that he did not tell the agent his occupation, nor asked for any special treatment. He accused the agent of lying on the assualt. He has filed a formal complaint to CX and is now very unhappy that his identity is revealed by CX staff.
This seems to be borne out by the Apple article which includes the pax's response http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realti...rt_id=14333264

The pax, Brian CHIN Tsang-kung, is a HKMA Securities Enforcement Senior Manager http://gb.hyd.gov.hk/TuniS/tel.direc...00016_ENG.html was awarded a Chief Executive's Commendation in 2002 http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...12/1012160.htm

Chin is not a solicitor - not a HK registered one at least http://www.hklawsoc.org.hk/pub_e/mem...ithoutcert.asp . Either the ground staff is libelling or Chin is passing off - all of these are actionable torts.

And Cathay does have to answer why his name got out - a bit like Gate Auntie.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 11, 2010 at 8:30 am
Old Aug 11, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,

I feel that CX may have to offer some goodwill gesture to the family again for the leak of identity, no matter which side is lying.[/QUOTE]

well yes but was he and his family late for the flight and then kicked up a fuss for being correctly deplaned? Thats what I want to know. For me and I guess many frequent flyers this is something we believe should happen to pax unless they were genuinely delayed rather than own lack of discipline.

Of course if the agent stuffed up and then accused pax of lying ..well agent should be receiving big book in his/her face and sent on way accordingly :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.