Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Unused Second Leg of Roundtrip Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unused Second Leg of Roundtrip Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL/Silver, CX/DM, SPG/Plat
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I'm sure though that if you bought an ex-TPE TKT, you cannot choose not to travel on the first segment...
I suppose that is called "married segments".

I believe 95% of EY, C, D, I & A tickets out there have some sort of restrictions. You can't really screw around with the segments, except ditching your last segment.

Only full fare F, J and Y has full flexibility. Otherwise, why should the airline give you discount, and when they do, they will take away something from you to compensate - that is flexibility.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by mmaddog
I suppose that is called "married segments".
Well...married segments refers to something different. If you book TPE-HKG-LHR, you cannot cancel only one of the segments, but must cancel both of them together, as the two are "married."
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by groundstaff
Hope I can clarify this

1. If you purchase a full fare ticket, you make even get a partial refund for the unused sector (HKG/TPE)

2. If you decide to not travel at all, CX will not charge you. Actually you can still use the ticket if you later decide to travel (depending on the validity of the ticket)

3. The rule is that you must use your ticket in sequence. In previous post about cancelling the ticket - to clarify CX cancel your booking but not the ticket.

4. You can still use the ticket if you no-show but most likely you will have to pay a change fee (on most tickets). However some tickets do have restrictions on valid on flight date shown only.

5. On mutli sectors, and for whatever reason you didn't travel the 1st sector, most of the time you can still use the sub-sequent sectors of the ticket but the 1st sector (or un-used sector before) will be forfeited.
Sorry, but I disagree with a couple of points. First there is the rule and then its application.
If you do not fly the return segment of a return ticket this is a clear violation of the contractual rules. Legally (at least in most countries), the airline is entitled to charge you the difference between the one-way full fare and the cost of your return ticket. Some airlines have tried (SQ, BA,..). BA has threatened to cancel the FFP membership of repeated offenders. But generally you can get away with it.

I cannot think of a single case where you can skip the first segment of a multi-segments tickets. As above, this is illegal so that your old ticket is cancelled (or whatever the legal term) and a new ticket needs to be reissued, and repriced, with a different starting point. There could be cases involving different airlines where the second airline is not aware that you did not fly the first segment, but that has become unlikely and I would never suggest to take that risk. And the situation is really difficult if you try to skip some intermediary segment as you won't be able to use the subsequent segments. of course, one can always try to reprice the new itin, but that will generally be very costly. Of course with full fare tickets, the game is easier for the pax, but who is paying full fare nowadays.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by mmaddog
Only full fare F, J and Y has full flexibility. Otherwise, why should the airline give you discount, and when they do, they will take away something from you to compensate - that is flexibility.
Even full fare unrestricted ticket, you can not throw away first segment.
For example, when a ticket contains HIF(Higher Intermediate Fare) point B,

fare of A-oB-oC-oB-A equals B-oC-B
then fare of B-oC-oB-A is higher or lower than the original A-oB-oC-oB-A depending on RT fares of A-C,B-C, oneway fares of B-C, C-oB-A and B-A etc.
Even full fare ticket, fare calculation is done in condition of sequence use of the ticket.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Sorry, bringing up an old thread. So basically to clarify...

If i'm buying ex-TPE-HKG-YYZ-HKG-TPE in J, and I don't show up for HKG-TPE, they won't be able to charge me for no show as there is no no-show fee for J tickets correct? So i can just grab my luggage at HKG and then just head out without incurring any penalties?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:05 pm

unused return flights - refund?

im looking at purchasing a return TPE-LAX/SFO-TPE, probably ticket in D class. (business standard)

HOWEVER, IF im only intend to fly (outbound flights) which is TPE-LAX/SFO (via HKG) and request a refund for the return flights, is it usually done at (roughly) half the price of the total return fare plus "cancellation fee" NT$2400?

before you ask, it is slightly more expansive to purchase a one-way fare.

thansk
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:52 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
im looking at purchasing a return TPE-LAX/SFO-TPE, probably ticket in D class. (business standard)

HOWEVER, IF im only intend to fly (outbound flights) which is TPE-LAX/SFO (via HKG) and request a refund for the return flights, is it usually done at (roughly) half the price of the total return fare plus "cancellation fee" NT$2400?

before you ask, it is slightly more expansive to purchase a one-way fare.

thansk
I'm not actually sure on that....I think you'll definitely be assessed the cancellation fee (2400 TWD), so don't forget to calculate that into your #s.

Just fyi, don't let them trick you with that "business standard" BS making it sound like it's some type of expensive fare class. D class is one of the discount business tickets (J, C, D, then I), I'm a frequent user of them myself . Frequently D class ex-TPE is the cheapest to North America and, from what I can tell, doesn't give any extra benefits to the traveler (aka stopovers, etc.) than I class would if it were available.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zqsn5678

You would need to look at the fare rules. They may prohibit changes after travel has begun; it tends to be only the most expensive tickets that do not. Also, even it is possible, it's probably going to result in a reprice as a one-way.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: QR
So some airlines might be more flexible than other?

Last edited by usud; Apr 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by brunos
Sorry, but I disagree with a couple of points. First there is the rule and then its application.
If you do not fly the return segment of a return ticket this is a clear violation of the contractual rules. Legally (at least in most countries), the airline is entitled to charge you the difference between the one-way full fare and the cost of your return ticket. Some airlines have tried (SQ, BA,..). BA has threatened to cancel the FFP membership of repeated offenders. But generally you can get away with it.
(bolding mine)... this is something which would need to be tested in the courts. Just because an airline's contract of carriage says they can charge you the one way doesn't actually mean they can (legally). It could depend on consumer legislation... if the contract was deemed to have a penalty clause (name may vary by country, but generally not permitted in contract law for most western countries), then that clause would be struck out. Very hard for the airline to argue that they suffered a 'loss' by you not taking the return flight, and that that 'loss' amounted to the full one way fare, especailly if the one way is higher than the return fare
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
so if i read the last few posts correctly if i fly TPE-HKG-SYD-HKG on an I class fare am I able to refund the HKG-TPE if I pay the canx fee?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by yohy?!
so if i read the last few posts correctly if i fly TPE-HKG-SYD-HKG on an I class fare am I able to refund the HKG-TPE if I pay the canx fee?
Theoretically, yes. However, since they will deduct the full fare for TPE-HKG-SYD-HKG as no nett fare exists, there will be no value to refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.