Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Marco Polo anniversary upgrades on CX/KA

Marco Polo anniversary upgrades on CX/KA

Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by xuukgo

What I think not normal is I am entitled to lounge as CXGO not as op-up passenger but they failed to recognise that and I know it was easy to deny upgrade but that experience in KUL was the only time they denied to downgrade me back to my original seat, other ports were fine.
I didn't see you were GO. Yea, that's a clear mistake somehow they didn't recognize your status.

You just keep arguing you want your old seat. I've had them push back before. They pretend they're doing you a big favor to upgrade to those awful regional J seats.. it's such a no brainier to stay in coach if you're sitting next to a friend and he/she can't be upgraded, especially given how ho hum the regional J hard product is, and genuinely bad the soft product is. Occasionally you have to drive that point home, to the point of being abrupt and rude and gets awkward. But they will put you back in your original seat eventually. My logic is, I paid for coach for me and my friend to sit together. Splitting us up violates a big reason I bought the ticket to begin with.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by fakecd
have done so.

they upgraded me once when i was travelling with kids intra asia. i said i want to sit with family, and their attitude was "look u should be happy we upgraded you so shut up and no we not gonna upgrade ur family"

i told them "i dont value your gracious upgrade the same manner other HK publics might so why dont you give it to someone who wants and give me back my old seat with family"... they looked shocked and agrrogantly confused unable to work out why a pleb wont take an upgrades seat!

at least in JAL and ANA they would APOLOGIZE they had to upgrade you... in those cases i say "please dont apologize, i am grateful for your kindness for this change"

point being either party shouldnt expect upgrade occurence or acceptance to be granted
I always got an apology from CX when I was op-upped.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I didn't see you were GO. Yea, that's a clear mistake somehow they didn't recognize your status.

You just keep arguing you want your old seat. I've had them push back before. They pretend they're doing you a big favor to upgrade to those awful regional J seats.. it's such a no brainier to stay in coach if you're sitting next to a friend and he/she can't be upgraded, especially given how ho hum the regional J hard product is, and genuinely bad the soft product is. Occasionally you have to drive that point home, to the point of being abrupt and rude and gets awkward. But they will put you back in your original seat eventually. My logic is, I paid for coach for me and my friend to sit together. Splitting us up violates a big reason I bought the ticket to begin with.
I was traveling along for my anniversary upgrades. So there are no problems.

For op-ups, there was only once I asked to seat with my travel companion in my original seat, but they upgraded my travel companion to sit with me instead.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I always got an apology from CX when I was op-upped.
I still remember my very first upgrade by CX when I was still a student at LHR lounge. They asked for my boarding pass and tear it apart without saying anything LOL I was literally shocked until after maybe 30 seconds they handed me a new boarding pass. Maybe no need to apologise but proper notification would be great.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: CX DM
I had been on the WL for an upgrade to J for a few months and even extended it to T-48 but it never cleared (expertflyer was showing reasonable I availability). At T-4 there was availability for straight J redemption on the CX website but when I requested an instant upgrade for myself and my partner at check-in a bit later we were told nothing was available but to check again later....

Once I got to the lounge I asked again and was informed there was a memo on my booking that it was my 5 year anniversary and this milestone had a higher priority than any attempt for a mileage upgrade and I would need to wait until closer to boarding to find out. Luck have it when we got to the gate we were both upgraded to J (even though she was on a separate booking).

This upgrade was approximately 1 week after my 5 year anniversary date.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club
I just had my 10 year anniversary upgrade to J from HKG to LAX, it was a very nice surprise as I was beyond sick that day. The crew has been very kind and took care of me during that flight.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I find the comments on travelling with friend hilarious. I travel with my husband all the time and make a point of noting when I check in that "we don't need to sit next to each other if there are better seats available"!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Ausriver
After reading basically all threads relating to anniversary upgrades..

It seems to me most 5,10,12,14, etc anniversary upgrades happens after you pass the the actual anniversary date, is there any real experience about getting it few days before the anniversary date?
I think you may be right. My anniversary is in mid-February (Asia Miles anniversary in fact, not MPO). I just had my 18th anniversary last month and was upgraded on IAD-HKG-CAN (coincidentally the longest + the shortest flight in the network) for Q to J, and was specifically told that I was upgraded because it was my 18th anniversary. On the other hand, I did not receive any upgrade 2 years ago when I flew in early March (so still within weeks of my 16th anniversary). I did not fly until 5 months after my 14th anniversary and was likewise not upgraded.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Do you get upgraded during the anniversary month or on the actual anniversary date? If it is the latter, how do you find out when that date is?

Apologies if this has been covered before...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by flubber
Do you get upgraded during the anniversary month or on the actual anniversary date? If it is the latter, how do you find out when that date is?

Apologies if this has been covered before...
My flights were 4-5 days after my anniversary date. You can see your anniversary date on your MPO portal and also on your monthly statement.
flubber likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
My flights were 4-5 days after my anniversary date. You can see your anniversary date on your MPO portal and also on your monthly statement.
Is it the same as the membership year expiry/renewal date?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Sozee
Is it the same as the membership year expiry/renewal date?
No, unless due to coincidence. Go to your account balance page or monthly statement and it's there on the first line.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AAdvatage Executive Platinum / Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Green
Anyone experienced a 20 year upgrade with CX as a green member? My anniversary date is 30th March... am currently booked to fly to LAX on Friday, but I have my AA number in the system... maybe I should switch it back to MPO to see if I get the upgrade. I'm emerald with AA but now only green with CX but have flown over a million club miles.....
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by kingbat
Anyone experienced a 20 year upgrade with CX as a green member? My anniversary date is 30th March... am currently booked to fly to LAX on Friday, but I have my AA number in the system... maybe I should switch it back to MPO to see if I get the upgrade. I'm emerald with AA but now only green with CX but have flown over a million club miles.....
But your profile says "Marco Polo Club - Gold" ?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: AAdvatage Executive Platinum / Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Green
It's just not been updated.... I used to be gold.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.