Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Which route CX/KA should consider during 2010/2011

Old May 1, 10, 10:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting

Hi all CX/KA activitiests,

This forum is very quiet. I think maybe we should discuss something new besides the lounge issues. Why not let us all have a talk about possible CX/KA new route during 2010/2011 season? What route you wish CX/KA to consider? And which route you think CX/KA may be benefited on?

Let us talk about it and keep the forum alive.

My contribution is: Zurich

I think CX should consider to go back to Zurich market or connect to either Madrid/Barcelona...

Any thoughts?

Regards.
IC6A
Old May 1, 10, 11:41 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Ditto on Zurich, it's a pain. *A serves it better, with Swiss out of HKG and SQ out of Singapore. I've flown to Zurich on OW tix from Singapore (on BA via LHR) and Hong Kong on AONE tix, and always end up thinking it's a waste of time. Other times when getting there I've scheduled meetings in Spain beforehand and then fly Iberia (and then after Zurich, typically schedule a day of meetings in London so we end up on BA through LHR again onto wherever the next destination is). Have tried to/from Zurich on the Swiss nonstop from HKG but I really prefer CX equipment and service.

Wouldn't mind Honolulu as well, would be a nice vacation destination instead of flying through Japan, Philippines or TPE on other airlines.
Old May 1, 10, 11:43 am

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
My suggestion : Honolulu (HNL)

Currently no direct service from HKG, you have to fly either via NRT, TPE or MNL, last time i was in HNL, I saw a lot of Chinese tourist (there were more Japanese though) and i think this is a very good potential leisure market for CX in the future, targeting people from mainland and even from neighboring ASEAN countries as well
Old May 1, 10, 1:20 pm

I don't know about HNL, since it really isn't a popular spot for HK tourism. HNL offers sun and beach, and places like Phuket/Bali offers a much cheaper and convenient option. I would suggest

1) MLE (Male) - the current options are quite expensive and all involve one-stop through SIN or KUL

2) ORD (Chicago) connectivity to most of America through AA's hub. LAX/JFK aren't really AA's hub as they don't really serve that many destinations, and even if they do, it doesn't offer close connectivity to CX's schedules.
Old May 1, 10, 2:28 pm

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
HYD . I assume they would start service there if they had additional frequencies to India. BA, LH, TG, EK, QR, SQ/MI all serve it.
Old May 1, 10, 4:05 pm

Programs: CX MPC GR, EK Skywards BL, QR Privelege Club SL
The usual suspects really, I would say BCN or MAD as well. Would be really nice to see CX working with its oneworld partner Iberia to have gateway connections to South America. Seems that there isn't much chance CX can work with LAN so this may be an option.

But most importantly for CX, we have to think about regular customers/demand and whether there's business/premium traffic demand. If there isn't, for routes such as MAN, I think it would be very difficult to sustain. That's why CX is very careful and conservative about opening new routes.
Old May 1, 10, 4:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Originally Posted by pacificboot View Post
1) MLE (Male) - the current options are quite expensive and all involve one-stop through SIN or KUL

2) ORD (Chicago) connectivity to most of America through AA's hub. LAX/JFK aren't really AA's hub as they don't really serve that many destinations, and even if they do, it doesn't offer close connectivity to CX's schedules.
1>, MLE: That would be nice. But MLE would have small space for tourists. The number fo arrivals have to be strictly controled not to over the available rooms in this country. Unless some major player in this market pull out from MLE. I doubt CX would be able to go in. And if CX decide to go into this market. They have to make a stopover in Colombo or Bangkok to make up the market share.

2>, ORD would be another difficult pick. I think the idea for CX make connection with AA in JFK/LAX is to cover major cities in USA. Adding ORD would not bring more traffic but less desirable revenue. I think a flight HKG-HNL-LAS would work fine since it would connect both HNL and LAs Vegas.
Old May 1, 10, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by IC6A View Post
I think CX should consider to go back to Zurich market or connect to either Madrid/Barcelona...
the new route to Milan has effectively closed the need of a direct flight to Zurich, given the relatively small distance between the two cities. If in the future OW is able to add Meridiana to its fold, we may have a whole slew of connecting flights from Milan to French, German and perhaps Spanish destinations.
I'd like CX to add a daily to MUC, but I am afraid LH is actively blocking such a possibility.
What I would like better is KA extending its reach and flying to second tier European airports, such as Geneva, Dusseldorf, Venice, Athens, and so on.
Old May 2, 10, 1:32 am

Madrid would make life easier when travelling to South America indeed.

Would also like to see flights to Haneda, Gimpo and Hongqiao!
Old May 2, 10, 3:08 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
I would definitely like to see:

ORD - high O&D traffic as well as connecting traffic with AA having a hub there (effectively getting rid of UA's monopoly) - 7793 mi
MAD - medium O&D traffic with connecting traffic and IB having a hub there (no competitor on route) - 6540 mi

Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld View Post
My suggestion : Honolulu (HNL)
If HNL were to be added, I'm sure HKers would appreciate, but is there really that much premium traffic? Demand for resort destinations is definitely growing, with nonstop to GUM, NAN added in 2009. BTW, HX and HA are both considering this route with their new A330s.

Originally Posted by wtjulianchan View Post
Would be really nice to see CX working with its oneworld partner Iberia to have gateway connections to South America. Seems that there isn't much chance CX can work with LAN so this may be an option.
In terms of SCL, it would be significantly longer with IB via MAD (supposing there's a nonstop ex-HKG) but a bit shorter to BSB. LAX and SYD could be better developed as a transit point ex-HKG to South America if the two sides could cooperate (shortest way is through Oz: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=HKG-SCL&MS=wls&DU=mi).

Last edited by toyotaboy95; May 2, 10 at 3:16 am Reason: Hawaii
Old May 2, 10, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by wtjulianchan View Post
The usual suspects really, I would say BCN or MAD as well. Would be really nice to see CX working with its oneworld partner Iberia to have gateway connections to South America. Seems that there isn't much chance CX can work with LAN so this may be an option.
Isn't that connection already available through LAX?
Old May 2, 10, 7:38 am

Fun:
Siem Reap
Danang
Istanbul
Berlin
Ulan Bator
Krabi

Work:
Chicago
Hongqiao
Seattle
Old May 3, 10, 1:03 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I cannot Understand why CX do not replace one of the California Flights with ORD..

From my observations Premium fares are around 30% higher from ORD than LAX and SFO where the Numerous Asian Carriers Discount aggressively..Besides getting ORD the Second most populous city in North America you also get Eastern Canada, US Mid-West and South East OneWorld Fliers.
Old May 3, 10, 2:35 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
I cannot Understand why CX do not replace one of the California Flights with ORD..
Well, with LAX, no other carrier is flying this route and there is also little or no connecting traffic but high O&D traffic - quite profitable, I guess due to the 2 daily flights (UA used to fly this route but cxled in '08). SFO is needed or else *A will have total monopoly .

I really would like to see AA start flying to HKG from ORD or DFW (if there's enough range), would be great to see more US carriers - AA's currently overrelying on CX codeshares.
Old May 3, 10, 4:14 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Maybe KA could add CCU to it's India flights. There are no flights from HKG at the moment and perhaps they could pick up some connecting traffic from North American West Coast as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: