Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

F involuntary denied boarding compensation

Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob

I was scheduled to travel from US to HKG on a first class award ticket yesterday. Apparently the seat was broken and they were not able to get any volunteers. So my companion and I were involuntarily denied boarding. We were given $800 dollars each, placed on standby for the next flight (which is 12 hours later), and a hotel room.

Does this seem like a reasonable compensation? I was told that the station manager will call me to discuss further compensation. Anything I should ask for?

BTW, this is an award ticket using AA miles. Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
To me it rather depends on whether they put you on the flight 12 hours later, in F. In that case I think I'd regard it as a reasonable, if not brilliant, offer. If you end up travelling anything other than F on the next flight then obviously further mor substantial compensation would be warranted.

Did they offer you a downgrade to J on the earlier flight? I'm gueesing not and that in fact they were over-booked in J so op-upped someone to the one working seat. Otherwise it would seem very strange to IDB 2 people for one broken seat.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
F/J/Y were all full appearently, and unfortunately no VDB's. I believe they were oversold in J too, so they bumped that person up for the other seat in F.

We are not even confirmed for the next flight yet, only standby so far. And that flight is full too.

Last edited by SP03; Apr 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
All flights these two days are pretty full until tomorrow afternoon. I wonder what the station manager can do.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: Asia Miles
I think they have given u good compensations compared to other airlines... They wont give u 800USD on other airlines i think
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by christep
To me it rather depends on whether they put you on the flight 12 hours later, in F. In that case I think I'd regard it as a reasonable, if not brilliant, offer. If you end up travelling anything other than F on the next flight then obviously further mor substantial compensation would be warranted.
I would agree. $1,600 for the two of you for a 12 hour delay is indeed a great deal. At those rates, I wouldn't mind a delay or two.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:56 am

Still not clear why they bumped off 2 persons for one broken seat.

US 800 as compensation is not a small amount, but hardly a high figure considering it is F class long haul that is concerned.

However, the most important here is that CX should make sure passengers are offered to travel either in F or J on same or immediate next flight. It cannot be assumed that time is not of the essence and that everything is fine just because you offer some kind of hotel room. People fly for a reason. CX should in the 12 hours available figure out how to fly the 2 passengers either in F or J, with an added stopover if necessary.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Still not clear why they bumped off 2 persons for one broken seat.
OP was traveling with companion.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:11 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
I think if they can't get you onto the next flight in F they need to pay ANOTHER $800 each plus re-route you. Have a look around to see what you can do on other One-World carriers (on their dime) maybe HKG-NRT-JFK or HKG-PVG-US etc on AA.

A hotel is nice for the 12 hours. It's now time to get on with life and get to your destination with all deliberate speed.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nyc6035
I think if they can't get you onto the next flight in F they need to pay ANOTHER $800 each plus re-route you. Have a look around to see what you can do on other One-World carriers (on their dime) maybe HKG-NRT-JFK or HKG-PVG-US etc on AA.
I'd want a lot more than $800 compensation if I was forced to fly AA all that way, when I had a CX ticket and it was a CX mechanical.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:56 pm

F compensation it's definitely too low, award ticket not withstanding. It sounds like CX realizes that too and the station manager promised more compensation.

In my opinion you should at the very least get 2 more UG certificates, and the monetary compensation should be at least $1200 USD each.

Oh, and I hope they put the both of you on F on your next flight.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Personally, I think that US$800 / pax is quite generous considering that you are still flying F (next day), CX paid for a hotel stay and the fact that you're a non-rev.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
They are not a "non-rev"! AA will be paying CX a significant sum of money for the seats.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
I agree. How one was flying F (paid F vs. award F) is not relevant. Both cases should be given the same compensation.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:13 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
They may not be CASH tickets, but they indeed are revenue tickets. If it's an Asia Miles ticket, then the outstanding liabilities (miles, which have value) I suspect is decreased when the pax flies and the miles are burned. If it's for AA or BA or whoever, CX must receive compensation (not sure how they do it, maybe they net it against MPC's flying on AA or BA, but either way it's not free).

From an accounting perspective, I'm not sure how it works - might be different also between IFRS and US GAAP. But either way I think the general idea would be to book the award ticket in as revenues at some rate (similar to what hotels do with comped rooms)...and if it's AA, then presumably there would be some cash transfer from AA to CX (or some other compensation), whereas if it's Asia Miles some liability somewhere for CX decreases.

Award tix are not free just because cash doesn't change hands!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.