Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

F involuntary denied boarding compensation

F involuntary denied boarding compensation

Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:54 am
Suspended

I find it amazing that people spend a lifetime racking up miles on awful airlines like AA then use them on a real airline like CX and then cough up stupid amounts of compensation to a passenger who will never spend a dime with them
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by cathaylonghaulff
I find it amazing that people spend a lifetime racking up miles on awful airlines like AA then use them on a real airline like CX and then cough up stupid amounts of compensation to a passenger who will never spend a dime with them

But really, doesn't it depend on where in the world one lives? Domestic service might only be available on another airline, and one of the benefits of the Alliances (like OneWorld) is that we can redeem for global travel.
After all, if you were on an international award trip, and had to travel somewhere only serviced by AA, wouldn't you expect to be looked after in the event of irregular ops?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
That seems a little harsh. Many of my AA miles were accumulated in paid F on CX.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:29 am

It's call One World alliance. If CX thinks like you that this is such a bad business decision then CX is free to leave the alliance, and obviously by remaining in the alliance, despite situations like this one, it means CX sees great revenue in being part of this alliance.

Also, like other posters said, they "rack up" AA miles by buying CX H-class tickets. That's way more than a person like me who "rack up" CX miles by buying K, M, L, V class tickets.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That seems a little harsh. Many of my AA miles were accumulated in paid F on CX.
And many of mine were in paid J on CX. Those $ wouldn't have gone to CX if they didn't have a partnership with AA. So to cathaylonghaulff.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:09 am

Less than 6 months ago, at LAX, for CX 881 to HKG, there were signs at the C check in positions, offering C Pax $US5500 to downgrade to Y. Now, what were the details in getting that compensation, I did not ask. I was in F, and when the door was closed, F was full also.
One has to wonder how CX came up with that $800 compensation to an F pax to bump them off involuntarily, and just to downgrade, even a full fare C class : to offer $5500.
And I don't even want to go into any argument of paid F or award F.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Em.. But well downgrade is different from IDB?

In short, for downgrade From J you end up flew with Y, but IDB for the OP you still fly in F

1600 USD is a nice value, think of allowing OP getting OP some nice in hotel SPA + meals, and good will for travel incovenience.

If the OP end up flying in J then I think the standard rules comes in (fare difference + good will).
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Em.. But well downgrade is different from IDB?

In short, for downgrade From J you end up flew with Y, but IDB for the OP you still fly in F

1600 USD is a nice value, think of allowing OP getting OP some nice in hotel SPA + meals, and good will for travel incovenience.

If the OP end up flying in J then I think the standard rules comes in (fare difference + good will).
Downgrade is indeed different from IDB. In the former case, you fly a full class lower but get there on the same flight. In the latter case, you don't even get on the flight and will not be there on time. Worse is if you do not know when you will be there. Most people would have hotel, car, restaurant, tour, theatre or work arrangements etc which will all be disrupted. At least a portion of those are usually not refundable or worse, not re-bookable, eg theatre.

Just imagine the hassle and worries. Adding 12 hours to the trip dampens and tires the traveller. From what I read on this forum, one can save almost 1/3 or 1/2 the price of a J ticket if one flies via TPE or NRT, costing 5-6 hours in the case of TPE. That is how people value their time and hassle.

Also, it is not US 1600 for one person, only US800!

Not sure if it is a nice hotel. Probably good enough but not top notch.

I would be very disappointed at not flying on the flight. Granted there are mishaps in life. But would not be agreeable if the delay is for more than 12 hours if the next flight does not include me.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Agree with other posters on that this is a bit harsh! I did 20 flights on CX last year, only 4 of which were in economy. All these went to my QF account. I'm redeeming flights this year on CX.

So they certainly get the revenue from me.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Downgrade is indeed different from IDB. In the former case, you fly a full class lower but get there on the same flight. In the latter case, you don't even get on the flight and will not be there on time. Worse is if you do not know when you will be there. Most people would have hotel, car, restaurant, tour, theatre or work arrangements etc which will all be disrupted. At least a portion of those are usually not refundable or worse, not re-bookable, eg theatre.

Just imagine the hassle and worries. Adding 12 hours to the trip dampens and tires the traveller. From what I read on this forum, one can save almost 1/3 or 1/2 the price of a J ticket if one flies via TPE or NRT, costing 5-6 hours in the case of TPE. That is how people value their time and hassle.

Also, it is not US 1600 for one person, only US800!

Not sure if it is a nice hotel. Probably good enough but not top notch.

I would be very disappointed at not flying on the flight. Granted there are mishaps in life. But would not be agreeable if the delay is for more than 12 hours if the next flight does not include me.
Ya I know that it is @ USD 800. I never been to US but I guess a relaxation treatment US is not ex-orbital expensive and I think setting aside USD 500 for that, plus USD 300 for meal, is not that bad at all.

I don't mind being stuck for a pay of USD 800 per 12 hour ! It's 5 times of my hourly salary
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
I would agree. $1,600 for the two of you for a 12 hour delay is indeed a great deal. At those rates, I wouldn't mind a delay or two.
Agree and I would take it if it was VOLUNTARY - they would offer the same thing for voluntary. For involuntary they should sweeten it a little bit more... at least I think so but I have found many ppl on these forums are just the "take what you get and shut up" type of ppl... I am strongly against that...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by AA2MM
Less than 6 months ago, at LAX, for CX 881 to HKG, there were signs at the C check in positions, offering C Pax $US5500 to downgrade to Y.
I find that utterly incredible. The normal downgrade offer is far, far less than that on the basis that someone else paid for the C ticket but the cash goes straight into the passenger's pocket. Many people would take quite a lot less than that to downgrade one flight segment. I know I would in many circumstances.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by christep
I find that utterly incredible. The normal downgrade offer is far, far less than that on the basis that someone else paid for the C ticket but the cash goes straight into the passenger's pocket. Many people would take quite a lot less than that to downgrade one flight segment. I know I would in many circumstances.
I agree that this seems like a very high level of compensation. If traveling on business, at least at my company, I'd be obligated to provide that $ back to my employer, a policy with which I 100% agree.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:18 am

I am sure that the $5500 amount is correct from memory. I am just reporting here what I saw. I did not embellish the story, and as I posted : I did not inquire any deeper into how one of those downgraded C pax would qualify for that. I can't remember if they have a different amount offered for award ticketed pax. If I have to guess, I think they did.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:16 pm

Location: SYD, YYZ, Southwest UK, a beach somewhere in the world
Programs: AC Prestige, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by AA2MM
Less than 6 months ago, at LAX, for CX 881 to HKG, there were signs at the C check in positions, offering C Pax $US5500 to downgrade to Y. Now, what were the details in getting that compensation, I did not ask. I was in F, and when the door was closed, F was full also.
One has to wonder how CX came up with that $800 compensation to an F pax to bump them off involuntarily, and just to downgrade, even a full fare C class : to offer $5500.
And I don't even want to go into any argument of paid F or award F.
I've also been in a similar situation transiting HKG from PEK-SYD where they were offering J class pax around $2,300 to downgrade or take the next available flight. This was roughly half the cost of the ticket. If I hadn't been chasing my BA status and had a strong desire to get home to have breakfast with my kids after being gone for two weeks, I would have jumped at the offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.