FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Different CX booking class gets you what? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1070173-different-cx-booking-class-gets-you-what.html)

ichigo Apr 2, 2010 2:33 pm

Different CX booking class gets you what?

I just booked a flight to HKG on CX. Booking class code is M. I believe this is a standard Economy fare class. What other implications are there for me in terms of upgrades, earning mileage in with this M code? :confused:

TerryK Apr 2, 2010 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by ichigo (Post 13699113)
I just booked a flight to HKG on CX. Booking class code is M. I believe this is a standard Economy fare class. What other implications are there for me in terms of upgrades, earning mileage in with this M code? :confused:

No idea what you mean by standard economy fare. There is full Y fare and a plethora of discount economy fares. M is in the middle of the discount fares. You cannot upgrade but it is eligible for mileage. @:-)

wandering_fred Apr 2, 2010 7:28 pm

It would appear that the important bit to you is that it (an M class fare) will not credit to AA. And except for the exUSA fares H class on CX (which does credit) is normally a bit pricey.

It is a worthwhile exercise reading the FF documentation to understand which fare classes are applicable to your program.

Fred

ichigo Apr 2, 2010 9:46 pm

thanks both for enlightening me, a newbie to the Asia Miles program and a somewhat newbie on FF.

where can i find that FF documentation you mentioned?

christep Apr 2, 2010 11:03 pm

On the websites of the FF programmes!

Cathay Boy Apr 3, 2010 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ichigo (Post 13699113)

Economy tickets have the following classes: Y, B, H, K, M, L, V that earns miles. Any other economy classes do NOT. All of these classes earns 100% of your flown miles.

ONLY Y, B, H, K classes are eligible for mileage upgrades.

Good luck

ichigo Apr 3, 2010 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy (Post 13702171)
Economy tickets have the following classes: Y, B, H, K, M, L, V that earns miles. Any other economy classes do NOT. All of these classes earns 100% of your flown miles.

Good luck

thanks for the info. i'm trying to switch my reservation from a M to at least a K. i'm also trying to study up on what different booking class means. is it me, or are airlines booking class kinda convoluted?

ChrisLi Apr 3, 2010 10:15 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by ichigo

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy (Post 13702171)

Good luck

thanks for the info. i'm trying to switch my reservation from a M to at least a K. i'm also trying to study up on what different booking class means. is it me, or are airlines booking class kinda convoluted?

As you are new here, the booking class M or K does not change the number of miles you earn if you use Asiamiles as your FFP, and also if you are new to Asiamiles, your chance of upgrade is basically 0

Cathay Boy Apr 4, 2010 4:39 am

Originally Posted by ichigo (Post 13704993)

A higher class fare does NOT increase your chance of op-up, op-up is primarily based on FF status. So unless you plan to use mileage upgrade there's really ZERO reason for you to want to spend that extra money to get the K instead of just flying M.

Also, different classes do have differences in small details, but they are mostly logistic differences like how much to pay (or not pay) when you change time, change date, for how long, etc. Not a difference in mileage earned (not CX anyway.)

Yes, different airlines have different rules so study up.

toyotaboy95 Apr 4, 2010 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy (Post 13705911)
A higher class fare does NOT increase your chance of op-up, op-up is primarily based on FF status. So unless you plan to use mileage upgrade there's really ZERO reason for you to want to spend that extra money to get the K instead of just flying M.

Also, different classes do have differences in small details, but they are mostly logistic differences like how much to pay (or not pay) when you change time, change date, for how long, etc. Not a difference in mileage earned (not CX anyway.)

Yes, different airlines have different rules so study up.

Actually, it may make a difference, nobody knows for sure except insiders.;)

cxfan1960 Apr 4, 2010 11:05 am

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95 (Post 13706363)

If there is a difference, it may be very, very small. My nephew got several upgrades with his g/f many times on award tickets and non-mileage tickets. I got upgraded again on my upgrade award... Op-up policy is never published. CX can change it anytime they like.

Cathay Boy Apr 4, 2010 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95 (Post 13706363)

If it does make a difference than it must be very small. I have purchased H, K fare tickets on my company charge and never got op-up as SL. My first op-up is on L class fare as GO.

ichigo Apr 4, 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisLi (Post 13705128)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

As you are new here, the booking class M or K does not change the number of miles you earn if you use Asiamiles as your FFP, and also if you are new to Asiamiles, your chance of upgrade is basically 0

yes, i'm new to Asiamiles. A relative (either a MCP Diamond or Gold) of mine is graciously "giving" me the miles about to expire in their account to upgrade me to Business Class. Of course, given if I am able to switch to a 'K' class, and CX's availability.

alc16 Apr 4, 2010 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy (Post 13707472)
If it does make a difference than it must be very small. I have purchased H, K fare tickets on my company charge and never got op-up as SL. My first op-up is on L class fare as GO.

It's so inconsistent...i've have several op-ups as SL on V class over the past 12 months! That's the minimum fare I go for but whether that helps or not i've no idea.