Is CX that bad?

Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by arthursiew
AK quoted me 4930HKD for 3 people while MH quoted me 4950HKD for 3 which I found to be a much better deal.
Now that is very expensive. AK quite often has HK$200 fares one-way for this route (though you have to play around with their booking system for dates or use www.airasiaplus.com).

Maybe consider Tiger Airways via SIN?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
Now that is very expensive. AK quite often has HK$200 fares one-way for this route (though you have to play around with their booking system for dates or use www.airasiaplus.com).

Maybe consider Tiger Airways via SIN?
I checked a lot of the dates in June and July and they are all 714HKD one way. Tiger Airways is 495HKD one way, but that would make me wait from 6:30AM to 11:30 plus wait another long time for another flight to KUL. The difference is about 100USD total, so I rather pay 100USD than make the whole entire journey 30+hours.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Price changed today.

CX+3K=$4136

SQ+MH+AK= $4245

Opinions?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:09 am

Price changed today.

CX+3K=$4136

SQ+MH+AK= $4245

Opinions?
In FT's spirit, wouldn't you pick SQ for the UA miles? (unless it's a non-mileage accruing fare)

For SFO-HKG, I prefer SQ because (a) the seats have better padding; (b) I will not go hungry on SQ flights; and (c) SQ has upgraded the blankets in Y on the 77W (it's thick and fluffy) and the SQ pillows provide better support.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by oatsmeal
(unless it's a non-mileage accruing fare)
I suspect arthursiew's fare is Sweet Deals, which is booked into non-eligible mileage fares. Could OP shed some light on this?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:56 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Price changed today.

CX+3K=$4136

SQ+MH+AK= $4245

Opinions?
Why don't you tell us what are your thoughts? In economy on these airlines, a lot boils down to what is important to you.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

I suspect arthursiew's fare is Sweet Deals, which is booked into non-eligible mileage fares. Could OP shed some light on this?
Yes, this is the Sweet Deal fare. I don't really care for the mileage right now, because we are considering switching to KrisFlyer or Asia Miles/Marco Polo as UA's pricing has been very expensive lately.

Originally Posted by sxc
Why don't you tell us what are your thoughts? In economy on these airlines, a lot boils down to what is important to you.
I have not been on SQ for many years, so I always wanted to try them again. However, we don't want to spend so much money for this Summer because we will be going to a lot more places than I specified. Right now, my dad thinks we can get a fare of $1100 all the way to SIN or KUL later this year because of the economy. I hope he's right because I don't want to wait a little later to find out the prices raise.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:24 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If your main concern is the seats, take SQ. They are slightly better than average Y class seats, you will know what you are getting. CX seats are more radical and you might hate them, tho you might love them.

The price differential is not much.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Bought tickets with SQ. Much cheaper than CX. CX wanted $1600+/person now. Got SQ tickets for $1232/person ($3698 for three). Good deal?

Last edited by arthursiew; Mar 26, 2010 at 7:32 am
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
Bought tickets with SQ. Much cheaper than CX. CX wanted $1600+/person now. Got SQ tickets for $1292/person ($3698 for three). Good deal?
Quite a good deal... does it earn you KF miles? better if it does
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:04 am

Bought tickets with SQ. Much cheaper than CX. CX wanted $1600+/person now. Got SQ tickets for $1292/person ($3698 for three). Good deal?
Personally, I find the fare a bit high (but still a good deal in comparison to CX and previous prices), I would think that US$1150 be more reasonable. But then again, you're flying SQ, so the price tends to be a bit higher than others.

Ever considered UA (you can earn EQM) for SFO-HKG-SIN (HKG-SIN is 5th freedom)?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Personally, I find the fare a bit high (but still a good deal in comparison to CX and previous prices), I would think that US$1150 be more reasonable. But then again, you're flying SQ, so the price tends to be a bit higher than others.

Ever considered UA (you can earn EQM) for SFO-HKG-SIN (HKG-SIN is 5th freedom)?
Oops. It's $1232, not $1292. UA wants $1950/person.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
No offense here, but hasn't this been off topic for quite some time now? I also cringe each time when I see the title come up as I think it's rather misleading...the topic seems to be much more now about comparing Y class fare differences

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.