Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is CX that bad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
Having flown Y on both SQ and CX on the SFO-HKG multiple times, I'd pick the latter. Some observations:
* The seat is ok despite my height (176cm). I carry a neckpillow, and use the provided blanket/pillow as back support. Adequate neck+back support makes a major difference for me.
* My legs get a little squished on both carriers in Y, though to a lesser extent on CX.
* I really appreciate not having the seat in front move in my face. It feels really cramped on SQ when the person in front reclines, especially during meal service when some people finish early and recline.
* No major difference between Krisworld and StudioCX from my perspective.
* Marco Polo Club is way better than Krisflyer. I find just the Kris-everything on SQ annoying. What on earth is a Kris anyway.
* Food service on CX is more orderly and prompt. SQ seems to pass out the special meals (mostly to fellow Indians with vegetarian needs) early, and take ages to do the main service. Since I never order special meals, I hate sitting in SQ1/2 while the whole cabin smells of Indian food and regular service is nowhere near starting.
* SQ service is generally more predictable. CX seems to depend on crew origin; crews on HK->SFO seem more experienced than SFO->HK ones (CX872/873).
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
I, for one, love the new Y seats, in which I usually sit in them for the 16 hr. flight to JFK twice times a year (2 rts). There is nothing I hate more than having the seat of the passenger in front of your reclining to the max to the extent where the seat is literally in your face and you can't view the PTV, this solves it completely. The comfort is a bit compromised though, but a pillow or two can solve the problem.

StudioCX, by far, is a lot better (selection and interface) than SQ but a bit behind Emirates ice and Qantas's IFE (limited to A380 only, otherwise, poorer than CX). IMHO, SQ is basically robotic in everything (see A.net TR about this) and they never go the extra mile for a passenger (in my past trips, as *G). CX does but service is not always "perfect".

I think SFO-HKG-KUL v.v on one-ticket would be cheaper than CX + AirAsia, since AirAsia can be quite pricey if there are no sales.

You might want to consider looking at www.cathaypacific.com/experience for a virtual 3D tour and http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_.../entertainment for a brief summary of movies (they have Up in the Air!!)

BTW, for the cheapest Economy Class tickets (Sweet Deals etc.) on SQ, they do not earn miles on UAM+ and 2P status (*S) does not have any "real" benefits. They are infamous for this, don't expect op-ups either.

Last edited by toyotaboy95; Mar 10, 2010 at 4:01 am Reason: update FFP earning
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by BlrGuy
* Food service on CX is more orderly and prompt. SQ seems to pass out the special meals (mostly to fellow Indians with vegetarian needs) early, and take ages to do the main service. Since I never order special meals, I hate sitting in SQ1/2 while the whole cabin smells of Indian food and regular service is nowhere near starting.
To be fair, CX also passes out special meals early too. However, with few exceptions, there are not too many passengers ordering special meals. Therefore the wait is normally short.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
CX seems to depend on crew origin; crews on HK->SFO seem more experienced than SFO->HK ones (CX872/873).
Interesting observation. I have only been on CX872/873, and I think they are "good enough". My other flights to and from LAX are somewhat the same as CX872/873. I do not experience a noticeable difference.

I do agree that the crews, in general, are somehow unpredictable though.

Otherwise, I am satisfied with the seats, meal services, ground supports, etc.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:32 am

CX seems to depend on crew origin; crews on HK->SFO seem more experienced than SFO->HK ones (CX872/873).
I know what you are trying to say but still seems kind of a funny statement since one would have to assume that the crews going one way eventually have to go the other way to get to their home base thus evening out the experience.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
I've not had a bad experience with CX crew as such. It's just that the level of experience differs. For example, if I am seated near where service begins, and all the items look about the same, I request the FA pick my meal selection based on their estimation of cabin needs. The more experienced FAs know which one to pick and are very happy to receive the help, while others get a little flustered.

While CX too serves special meals first, SQ seems to take longer. I did not really keep track of whether there were more pax with special meal requests on SQ than CX. SQ does get a lot of business from Indian travelers because their Y food options are better, plus they have Indian FAs .

Maybe CX873 crews are more frazzled because of the late night SFO departure and associated cranky pax. Now that CX872 has been retimed to a late HK departure maybe they'll both be more comparable
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Maybe CX873 crews are more frazzled because of the late night SFO departure and associated cranky pax. Now that CX872 has been retimed to a late HK departure maybe they'll both be more comparable
I have been on CX872/873 for a few times in the last two years. My experience on them was actually great. Before my last trip in last November on CX873, I had an absolute tough day at work. So I got to SEA, flew down to SFO, and checked-in with CX at SFO (AS could not check me through in SEA). Then I was terrorized when I was told in SFO that only middle-seats in Y were left for the 15 hours. So I got onto the plane totally exhausted and unhappy with the seat assignment (not CX's fault, but I could do nothing because I could not online check-in with CX with an AS award ticket).

During the "dinner" meal service, an FA (a nice cute HK girl) noticed my "cranky face", looked at me in concern, and took the extra step to ask if I were okay. She asked if I needed anything, and I told her I just needed some water to help settle down. That little step when I was in need made me feel so much more comfortable and built up my loyalty tremendously with CX. When she did that, I was feeling it was like a CX's TV commercial, but it actually happened to me in real life. ^^^ Out of almost 400 pax, the FA noticed my needs. ^^

This happened in my last trip on CX873, and this reminded me that I still need to send a letter of appreciation to CX regarding this. Until you pointed it out, I thought she was a HK-based crew.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
Right now, I can get $1310/person on all CX flights, but I can get $1403/person on SQ (SFO-HKG-SFO) + CX (HKG-KUL-HKG). Opinions?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:06 pm

arthursiew,
my 2 cents:
  • Seat:
    This has been discussed extensively in the past, link to some of those discussions:
    Any reviews of CX's new economy class seats?
    Is the new Y seat that doesn't recline really that bad?
    Personally, I love the new seats. Person in front of you not reclining into your space is a huge plus for me
  • CX Studio vs Krisworld
    Both are equally good, can't go wrong either way.
  • Service & Food
    I personally prefer SQ food slightly over CX food. But this is subjective. Service is more robotic(ie efficient) on SQ. I've seen CX FA's get flustered if there is full load in Y and if the passengers are demanding(lot of special meals/kids etc)
  • Fare
    If $1300 is an online fare, you should definitely talk to a consolidator. They might be able to do better. If you'd like, I can recommend a good local TA-send me a PM.

In conclusion, I would pick CX all the way to KUL
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfducati
  • Fare
    If $1300 is an online fare, you should definitely talk to a consolidator. They might be able to do better. If you'd like, I can recommend a good local TA-send me a PM.
Sent a PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

I calculated everything. Now, I would like some opinions.

Option 1- $4019 total

SFO-KUL (CX), KUL-SIN (3K), SIN-KUL (3K), KUL-HKG (CX), HKG-SFO (CX)

Option 2- $4239 total

SFO-HKG (SQ), HKG-KUL (MH), KUL-SIN (3K), SIN-KUL (3K), KUL-HKG (MH), HKG-SFO(CX)

Which one would you choose? If I chose, SQ... I'm not sure if I can handle a 10PM flight arriving at 8PM because it may totally alter my sleeping times, as I am able to handle morning arrivals. Are 8PM arrivals that bad? Besides this, which do you think is the best option?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:08 am

Programs: UA,AA,CX,SWA
Are those in USD? If so, both options are really expensive.

Also, consider KUL-SIN and SIN-KUL on land unless you are transiting.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:17 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by arthursiew
I calculated everything. Now, I would like some opinions.
Option 1- $4019 total
SFO-KUL (CX), KUL-SIN (3K), SIN-KUL (3K), KUL-HKG (CX), HKG-SFO (CX)
I would recommend this option a bit more than Option 2, also taking into consideration the price. BTW, what happened to the $1310 fare and what about AK (only LCC flying HKG-KUL nonstop)?

For 3K and CX, you might want to consider joining the QF FFP for elite status (3K fare might have to be upgraded though).
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by fsklee
Are those in USD? If so, both options are really expensive.
The total price he's quoting is for 3 people I believe.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
I would recommend this option a bit more than Option 2, also taking into consideration the price. BTW, what happened to the $1310 fare and what about AK (only LCC flying HKG-KUL nonstop)?

For 3K and CX, you might want to consider joining the QF FFP for elite status (3K fare might have to be upgraded though).
The $1310 fare does not include AK. AK is also more expensive than CX and MH. It's also cheaper to book all of the CX flights in one itinerary, so that's why it's cheaper. AK quoted me 4930HKD for 3 people while MH quoted me 4950HKD for 3 which I found to be a much better deal.

Originally Posted by christep
The total price he's quoting is for 3 people I believe.
Yes, it's for 3 people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.