Wiki Posts
Search

Security in YVR experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
Security in YVR experiences?

I will be flying next week JFK-YVR next week.

Is security as crazy as at YYZ?

Any tips? I only have a laptop and small handbag ( stuffed to the brim!)

I know the counter opens at 6:30- so more then enough time to get on the flight ( one would hope!).
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by havetoshop

Any tips? I only have a laptop and small handbag ( stuffed to the brim!)

I know the counter opens at 6:30- so more then enough time to get on the flight ( one would hope!).
Thanks in advance.
The few times that I depart from YVR I can see the lines are ridiculously long. Don't know if it's an exception or the norm.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Do you mean security at YVR? So I take it that you're flying YVR-JFK and not the other way round?

Security would be peak during day times. As the YVR-JFK is departing later at night, security would not be that bad.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:02 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs down Horrid!!!

Last 2 times (since they redid the security setup) double screening with them going thru EVERYTHING twice!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
Thank you! I meant at YVR. I take this flight about three times a year and it is normally very easy and light traffic.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:38 am

Thank you! I meant at YVR. I take this flight about three times a year and it is normally very easy and light traffic.
No, JFK is typically good, I never had to wait more than 5 minutes to go through security. In fact I'm so spoiled by JFK Terminal 7 (outbound) that I get restless in HKG when I had to wait in line to go through customs.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Do you mean post CATSA rules? I posted a thread earlier asking about this, but nobody seems to have responded:

thread

Since the Cathay flights leave from the international terminal instead of the U.S. terminal I was wondering how they were handling the CATSA restrictions for flights to the US now.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: CX DM
I just flew in and out of YVR with Cathay and did not experience any difficulties. Security for YVR departures was just the normal American-style security. Mind you my departure was late at night so queues would be shorter anyway.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Were you flying YVR-JFK or YVR-HKG? What type of carry-ons did they allow you to take? The CATSA restrictions are supposedly for all flights to the US - but not to other destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.