Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Pi..ed off with new mileage upgrade rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Previously as a marco polo member you were allowed to waitlist on up to 3 different flights for a mileage upgrade for a particular booking. You didn't even need to have an economy booking.

The first change was that they made you make economy bookings for each of your 3 waitlists - fine no problem. This was more a hassle for CX than for me.

Now they will only allow you to waitlist one flight on a booking so you can't waitlist multiple flights on the same day and they make you have an economy reservation for it.

With the requirement to have a K class booking, the mileage upgrade has been really devalued and a real hassle to obtain now. You can't check availability online, you need to ring up everyday to see if there is availability on other flights on the same day - if anything, this is causing more manual work for CX than anything else.

Anyway, on a trip I have just booked, for marginally more than a K class fare, I have booked Qantas Premium Economy instead. I know it's not the same as a flat bed, but hey I want to try it out, and now CX has lost some revenue for their new policies. I guess CX is hoping this is what will happen if they introduce Y+.

Anyone else want to rant about this?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
I was waitlisted for a J upgrade on 3 flights leaving Syd last week, with Y booked only one of them. IMO CX were fantastic and were very helpful. (ended up getting one on the flight I was booked on)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Did you have to push and push them before they would waitlist them? I had them make an exception for me once, but seems they won't do it now.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:09 am

No, i just asked and the lady did it.

Just a question, how much different in price was your QF Y+ ticket than CX K class?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:49 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I have asked a number of times, and none of the people helping me would let me waitlist more flights than 1. The only time they let me do it, the person had to check with her manager and told me it was an exception. Were your flights very soon after your request? The ones I request are usually 2-3 months in advance.

To SYD, the K class was $9580, and QF Y+ was $12,000.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:33 am

The flights were about two to three weeks after my request
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:07 am

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
The "new rule" stipulates that you can only waitlist on one flight under a PNR.

But how about creating 3 PNR's, or more.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: CX, AC, Starwood
In my limited experience over the past 5 years with the MP club - it really depends on who you talk to on the phone. I've gotten nowhere with waitlists sometimes, only to phone in an hour later, get someone else, not only get on the wait list, but also get confirmation on upgrades for certain legs... it's really hit and miss I find. Frustrating, and well... yes I HATE the new upgrade system they have implimented online... I can't use it, continously on the phone... so what's the point i say.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:54 am
Suspended

wait listing should not be a problem but making 3 bookings on the same route for 3 seperate flights is crazy Some airlines do this and then the damm plane is half empty especially in business class. It is very annoying to know you could have takena certain flight and you are left waiting for hours or days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.