Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by honghong322
I'm flying BOS-HKG on my birthday and will update if there's anything different. I'm not expecting anything!
Are you an MPC member or AA? (just going by your FT profile). If AA, there definitely won't be a birthday upgrade. Op-up is possible, but birthday is a zero. The birthday upgrade is only for MPC members.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Are you an MPC member or AA? (just going by your FT profile). If AA, there definitely won't be a birthday upgrade. Op-up is possible, but birthday is a zero. The birthday upgrade is only for MPC members.
Generally, is it for travel on actual day of, or within, say, several days one's b'day? I would assume, aside from availability, the higher the MPC tier, the higher the probability.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Visconti
Generally, is it for travel on actual day of, or within, say, several days one's b'day? I would assume, aside from availability, the higher the MPC tier, the higher the probability.
I haven't been eligible for one in a while, but IIRC it is for spot-on same day. Although I never figured out what they do for the late-night flights, you know depart at 23:45 or 01:10 or whatever. Nor do I know what they do if you have a connecting itinerary.

The only things I'm sure of is a.) it's not for the partner programs, aka it's MPC only, and b.) higher status does seem to matter on here. Diamond definitely gets them on space-available basis. I think Golds do but seems more sporadic and there have been reported folks reporting back here. Unsure about Silvers. Green definitely not.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by QRC3288
The only things I'm sure of is a.) it's not for the partner programs, aka it's MPC only, and b.) higher status does seem to matter on here. Diamond definitely gets them on space-available basis. I think Golds do but seems more sporadic and there have been reported folks reporting back here. Unsure about Silvers. Green definitely not.
I was a Silver last year and I was upgraded to J on my birthday, on a flight to SIN. I was on a Y ticket. The plane was pretty empty though!
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
In 17 years of being Diamond, I'd never travelled on my birthday - until last weekend. Since I knew that it existed in theory I checked A class availability on the flight I was on (New York to Hong Kong in business with my wife), no space available so I assumed nothing would happen and carried on as normal. When we showed up at checkin, I was proactively told that there was an upgrade to first for me and also for my wife who is also Diamond and had (unknowingly) gone through a milestone. They didn't confirm them until the gate (I guess in case two high fare-paying passengers showed up unexpectedly) but it was a very nice flight. On the flight out to NY I'd also been given an upgrade to first which was a surprise (and I gave it to my wife because I'm generally quite happy in the mini-cabin and the snack box is better!) but I'd tried to use upgrade vouchers for that flight only to be told that there were no seats available in first.
So the moral of the story is that birthday upgrades are (broadly) real, the lack of A availability - even close in - doesn't mean that upgrades are out of the question and not being able to use the upgrade vouchers also doesn't mean that upgrades on the day won't happen. It's a nice little perk. Although now these upgrade vouchers keep coming around I find that I never use miles to upgrade from business to first and the miles keep piling up (generally on my credit card which means there's no expiration date on them) and I have to remind myself to check and see if I can use them on any flights I'm taking.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
In 17 years of being Diamond, I'd never travelled on my birthday - until last weekend. Since I knew that it existed in theory I checked A class availability on the flight I was on (New York to Hong Kong in business with my wife), no space available so I assumed nothing would happen and carried on as normal. When we showed up at checkin, I was proactively told that there was an upgrade to first for me and also for my wife who is also Diamond and had (unknowingly) gone through a milestone. They didn't confirm them until the gate (I guess in case two high fare-paying passengers showed up unexpectedly) but it was a very nice flight. On the flight out to NY I'd also been given an upgrade to first which was a surprise (and I gave it to my wife because I'm generally quite happy in the mini-cabin and the snack box is better!) but I'd tried to use upgrade vouchers for that flight only to be told that there were no seats available in first.
So the moral of the story is that birthday upgrades are (broadly) real, the lack of A availability - even close in - doesn't mean that upgrades are out of the question and not being able to use the upgrade vouchers also doesn't mean that upgrades on the day won't happen. It's a nice little perk. Although now these upgrade vouchers keep coming around I find that I never use miles to upgrade from business to first and the miles keep piling up (generally on my credit card which means there's no expiration date on them) and I have to remind myself to check and see if I can use them on any flights I'm taking.
Thanks for sharing, @Moscowflyer. J to A is a sweet upgrade!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
IME it needs to be travel on actual date of birthday. Last month I travelled the day after my birthday and no upgrade (I am DM).
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Arbeysix
IME it needs to be travel on actual date of birthday. Last month I travelled the day after my birthday and no upgrade (I am DM).
+1. Last year I travelled on a flight that was scheduled 20min after my birthday. Didn't get an upgrade. Although the ISM "saved" last two rows of three seats on a farily full A330 for me and my wife by placing crew materials across them, which was a very nice gesture.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Mom was gold->silver->green->AM, she flew last week on her birthday and wasn’t given upgrade. Wasn’t expecting much as she had no more status with CX.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:49 pm

I am GO, and on a SYD-HKG flight exactly on my birthday later this week. Am (sadly) booked into a company-booked Y seat, but keeping digits crossed for a sweet J (or even PEY) upgrade at the counter.
flubber likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by infinitium
I am GO, and on a SYD-HKG flight exactly on my birthday later this week. Am (sadly) booked into a company-booked Y seat, but keeping digits crossed for a sweet J (or even PEY) upgrade at the counter.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.It'll be a good data point to have.
infinitium and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by infinitium
I was GO last year and booked HKG-SYD Y exactly on my birthday.
Got upgraded to J and had a birthday card onbaord.
However, you depart from SYD and not sure outstation would do this too.

Good luck and please do come back and update this..
infinitium likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:39 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I'm set to fly on my birthday on CX888 in August. I'm already on waitlist from R to J.

I can report back in August.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by wyskevin
I was GO last year and booked HKG-SYD Y exactly on my birthday.
Got upgraded to J and had a birthday card onbaord.
However, you depart from SYD and not sure outstation would do this too.

Good luck and please do come back and update this..
Not sure about SYD, but I got upgraded Y->J together with the Mrs as a GO when I flew SIN-BKK on my birthday two years ago.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:08 am

We flew to Osaka from HKG and our friend's kid was flew on his birthday. No upgrade, just a HAPPY BIRTHDAY on his PE boarding pass lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.