Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I intentionally booked my mum a flight on her birthday next week in Y. She is a SL and the flight at the moment is wide open in all classes. Will report back

Being old Chinese, she doesn't celebrate according to the western calendar birthday anyway, so the birthday on her passport means nothing to her.
My mum has had her birthday upgrade on both legs yesterday.

KA621 was J1 after she upgraded to 18K. Check in agent called the manager over to double and triple check (guess need to confirm with the message in the computer or something), it took quite a while for her to check in.

CX161 was wide open, upgrade happened about 1 hour before departure. She already went to the gate and I had to call her to go back to the lounge for change to a seat in the mini front cabin when I noticed her original seat shown empty.

She is only SL. Good job and thank you CX/KA
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:14 am

I had one flight Paris - HK upgrade from economy to business for two people on my birthday. A more recent flight, Paris - HK also on my birthday, no deal....it depends on the flight
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by landingpoint
I'm in a dilemma due to a connecting flight that takes place at 00:30am. The first leg arrives about 10pm the day before, Should I book the first leg on my birthday or the day before my birthday to maximise chances of getting a birthday upgrade (assuming there is availability of course).
As a data point, I (DM) was travelling with Mrs from MLE to HKG which departed just a little bit after my actual bday (it was 12.50am or something on the following day). No upgrade and SP didn't mention anything in her greetings. Presumably the system will only catch this if you fly on the exact day of your birthday. Anyway the SP was very nice on a rather full flight in Y, she actually blocked off last two rows of the A330 so we had a full row each to stretch out for the red eye flight.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by Austfella
Presumably the system will only catch this if you fly on the exact day of your birthday.
Happened on both me and my wife's separate birthdays (we were both SLs at that time). While it was on HKG-MNL (an op up heavy route), the lady at the AE specifically mentioned it was a birthday upgrade and upgraded BOTH of us during my wife's birthday.

Strangely, on my birthday (same route), I was the only one upgraded at the gate. I think that while the system catches the birthday on the exact date, I am assuming that there may be a +/- allowance?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by mbamejia
Happened on both me and my wife's separate birthdays (we were both SLs at that time). While it was on HKG-MNL (an op up heavy route), the lady at the AE specifically mentioned it was a birthday upgrade and upgraded BOTH of us during my wife's birthday.

Strangely, on my birthday (same route), I was the only one upgraded at the gate. I think that while the system catches the birthday on the exact date, I am assuming that there may be a +/- allowance?
As you said, HKG-MNL is an op-up heavy route. I believe they may as well op-up both of you anyway, esp since both of you were SLs.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:12 am

CX 549 HND-HKG - Was Upgraded ~ 3 hours before take off. Lovely flight!

Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by octarine
CX 549 HND-HKG - Was Upgraded ~ 3 hours before take off. Lovely flight!

I wonder is this automatic or typed by the check in agent.....
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I wonder is this automatic or typed by the check in agent.....
should be typed by checkin agent
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
just want to see if others have a similar experience...from my experience, if I make a last minute booking, say a day or two before the flight, then I most often won't get the birthday upgrade (but frankly I didn't ask explicitly either usually). but if I make a booking a longer time in advance, then most often I would get it. do others have similar experience? I suspected that they processed these and put say a birthday remark into the booking by the system say a few days in advance of the flight, or by batch? so if the booking is made too late, they won't be able to catch it? I think it makes sense, when the MPO number is inputted in the system, it seems too much a system overhead each time to check whether the birthday is the same as the flight date every time? so maybe every week or every day, they process those with birthdays after a few days or next week or something, and put remarks (automatically by system I guess) into the bookings already in place then on the birthday? if bookings are made beyond this processing date, then those won't get it. and my experience/feeling so far is that such birthday upgrades need to be authorized by MPO at the center, and even at check in they saw it's your birthday, they still don't have the authority to upgrade you (provided you're also MPO esp GO/DM/etc), right...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by tedhl
just want to see if others have a similar experience...from my experience, if I make a last minute booking, say a day or two before the flight, then I most often won't get the birthday upgrade (but frankly I didn't ask explicitly either usually). but if I make a booking a longer time in advance, then most often I would get it. do others have similar experience? I suspected that they processed these and put say a birthday remark into the booking by the system say a few days in advance of the flight, or by batch? so if the booking is made too late, they won't be able to catch it? I think it makes sense, when the MPO number is inputted in the system, it seems too much a system overhead each time to check whether the birthday is the same as the flight date every time? so maybe every week or every day, they process those with birthdays after a few days or next week or something, and put remarks (automatically by system I guess) into the bookings already in place then on the birthday? if bookings are made beyond this processing date, then those won't get it. and my experience/feeling so far is that such birthday upgrades need to be authorized by MPO at the center, and even at check in they saw it's your birthday, they still don't have the authority to upgrade you (provided you're also MPO esp GO/DM/etc), right...
I would assume your birthday is once per year. So how many years of data are we talking about here? Just curious, cause your op makes it sound like a negative pattern, which is not reflected in this thread
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Indeed, at least some 2-3 times I think, quite consistently, but certainly not like 10+ yrs of data, since I do avoid flying on my birthday if possible, and not too many regional flights have F these days. The latest one, last year or the year before think, I remember J was full and F quite open (according to expertflyer) , I was also DM and eventually F went out full and I saw some op-up (I guess), and yet I was not among those, and in fact in-flight they didn't mention my birthday either when they greeted me - seems my birthday didn't get noted in that last minute booking. This year again I ended up having to book (in fact change flight/destination) a flight like 36 hrs in advance (invoking DM J guarantee), so just wondering if I would be out of luck again. I usually book flights esp regional ones only a few days in advance, so I'm thinking whether next year should esp for flight on my birthday try to book it much earlier. . Will report back how it goes.

Originally Posted by gpia

I would assume your birthday is once per year. So how many years of data are we talking about here? Just curious, cause your op makes it sound like a negative pattern, which is not reflected in this thread
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tedhl
Indeed, at least some 2-3 times I think, quite consistently, but certainly not like 10+ yrs of data, since I do avoid flying on my birthday if possible, and not too many regional flights have F these days. The latest one, last year or the year before think, I remember J was full and F quite open (according to expertflyer) , I was also DM and eventually F went out full and I saw some op-up (I guess), and yet I was not among those, and in fact in-flight they didn't mention my birthday either when they greeted me - seems my birthday didn't get noted in that last minute booking. This year again I ended up having to book (in fact change flight/destination) a flight like 36 hrs in advance (invoking DM J guarantee), so just wondering if I would be out of luck again. I usually book flights esp regional ones only a few days in advance, so I'm thinking whether next year should esp for flight on my birthday try to book it much earlier. . Will report back how it goes.
Even though this is an unpublished benefit, it's not exactly kept under the wraps. Some may not recommend a direct approach but I personally feel there isn't any harm in asking the check in agent if you do it nicely or politely inquire about the availability of a birthday upgrade. You've got a hypothesis and probably worth putting it to the test. As other FT members have noted, the birthday upgrades appear to be processed by the check in agent.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:56 am

Upgraded to J class BKK-HKG, from Y! Tho this was 2 years ago and PEY may not have been on my flight.

Interestingly this was already in the system as I checked in via a self-checkin machine.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by CX HK
Upgraded to J class BKK-HKG, from Y! Tho this was 2 years ago and PEY may not have been on my flight.

Interestingly this was already in the system as I checked in via a self-checkin machine.
Were you CX Green? That would be interesting.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold
I'm flying BOS-HKG on my birthday and will update if there's anything different. I'm not expecting anything!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.