Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I intentionally booked my mum a flight on her birthday next week in Y. She is a SL and the flight at the moment is wide open in all classes. Will report back

Being old Chinese, she doesn't celebrate according to the western calendar birthday anyway, so the birthday on her passport means nothing to her.
As a SL, I was upgraded on LAX-HKG from Y straight to J 2 years ago.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I remember getting upgraded on my birthday, it was so last minute the ISM didn't have a record of my upgrade, which meant lots of questions when I took my seat.

She was very good about it and later organised the whole crew (not on duty) to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me at my seat..........................

Got a lovely birthday card signed by the crew with lots of kisses and hearts, drove my ex-gf crazy. One of my best birthday presents ever!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I remember getting upgraded on my birthday, it was so last minute the ISM didn't have a record of my upgrade, which meant lots of questions when I took my seat.

She was very good about it and later organised the whole crew (not on duty) to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me at my seat..........................

Got a lovely birthday card signed by the crew with lots of kisses and hearts, drove my ex-gf crazy. One of my best birthday presents ever!
I received the upgrade a couple of hours before dep. (saw it on OLCI page) but there was nothing special onboard.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i'm pretty sure this apply to SL but not green
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Correct. It is MPC only. This I know from CX.

Based on anecdotes on here, it seems to be GO and DM only. This I don't know for sure, just reading the forum.
Saw two successful SL’s this year, so it is not GO upwards only. Just don’t know about GR
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I received the upgrade a couple of hours before dep. (saw it on OLCI page) but there was nothing special onboard.
I received the upgrade after I sat down on Y seat June this year. Another passenger came and said u are on my seat and cabin crew went out to gate and got me a new boarding pass was in J, nothing else onboard expect the SP said happy birthday to me when she distributed the menu.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by xuukgo

I received the upgrade after I sat down on Y seat June this year. Another passenger came and said u are on my seat and cabin crew went out to gate and got me a new boarding pass was in J, nothing else onboard expect the SP said happy birthday to me when she distributed the menu.

That was a nice surprise, but I thought they would have sorted that out before boarding and got you a J BP at the gate.

When my wife got her birthday upgrade several years ago, she texted us and complained she lost her window seat (from a J window seat to 2D) . I said if I were traveling with her, I would have happily switched my seat with her.
infinitium likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by gpia

Saw two successful SL’s this year, so it is not GO upwards only. Just don’t know about GR
very nice to hear. CX really should be doing everything they can to pull people into MPC.

Unfortunately, most of the threads I read are the opposite.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
That was a nice surprise, but I thought they would have sorted that out before boarding and got you a J BP at the gate.
Maybe it was at some outport sthat doesn't scan boarding pass at boarding.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:19 am

Actually this is at HKG and they did scan the boarding pass. No red light then so it indeed surprised me
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Last week, I flied KA455 (KHH-HKG), and then CX101 (HKG-SYD).They were separate tickets, both were booked X class( reward Y), and both flights were operated on my exact birthday.

Me: at checkin counter “to Sydney please”
Crew: Looked at the computer and then my passport. “Happy Birthday, Mr. xx. You are upgraded to business class today.”
Me: “Oh, thank you.”
Crew: “ You are going to Hong Kong, right?”
Me: “No, to Sydney. I have a connecting flight to Sydney. It is CX101. Should I show you the ticket?”
Crew:” No, it is alright. I can check from the computer.”
Crew: in 20seconds, “ Yes, I can see you on this Sydney flight. You are upgraded to business class too.”
Me: “ That is great, thank you.”

On both flights, I was given cards written happy birthday by all cabin crew members. Very nice touch indeed..
orangila likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
I'm in a dilemma due to a connecting flight that takes place at 00:30am. The first leg arrives about 10pm the day before, Should I book the first leg on my birthday or the day before my birthday to maximise chances of getting a birthday upgrade (assuming there is availability of course).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:14 pm

It was also at HKG for my wife's case.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by landingpoint
I'm in a dilemma due to a connecting flight that takes place at 00:30am. The first leg arrives about 10pm the day before, Should I book the first leg on my birthday or the day before my birthday to maximise chances of getting a birthday upgrade (assuming there is availability of course).
In my wife's case, her flight was after midnight at 00:30 or 01:00. Her birthday was on the exact day of the flight. She arrived at HKG the night before her birthday.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by landingpoint
Good question - I'll have to leave it to others to answer your question specifically but wanted to point out the other factor you should also consider is the load factor because the upgrades are given on a space-available basis.
windchaser777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.