Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
I'm just happy that CX sent a painting for my birthday instead of an upgrade. What an elegant present
Attached Images  
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by Alawyer
Anyone tried flying the day *after* your birthday?

Will my chances increase if I go straight to the airport after my birthday party tonight?
Yes, happened to fly day after my birthday last May. No upgrade was offered. I had my fingers crossed at check-in, but no luck.

However, I did get an op-up later on at the gate, but not birthday related. I specifically asked if it was related, agent said it was not.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Cathay do not upgrade people before or after their birthday. It has to be on the birthday. Even if you buy a ticket that has a connection, but if the connecting flight is a day off then that segment won't be upgraded either. They are very strict on birthday upgrades.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Cathay do not upgrade people before or after their birthday. It has to be on the birthday. Even if you buy a ticket that has a connection, but if the connecting flight is a day off then that segment won't be upgraded either. They are very strict on birthday upgrades.
Data point:
Three years ago, I did a SHA-HKG-YVR with the HKG-YVR the day after my birthday (00:30 departure), both SHA-HKG and HKG-YVR were "birthday upgraded" from J to F. SHA-HKG was done at SHA check-in, HKG-YVR was done at the Wing F lounge.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:21 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by AC340-541
Data point:
Three years ago, I did a SHA-HKG-YVR with the HKG-YVR the day after my birthday (00:30 departure), both SHA-HKG and HKG-YVR were "birthday upgraded" from J to F. SHA-HKG was done at SHA check-in, HKG-YVR was done at the Wing F lounge.
Wow, I actually didnt think they'd upgrade someone already in J. Thats certainly a nice gesture!

Got my own upgrade a while back at check-in. Actually, for Europeans travelling back home its a great choice to fly on ones bday at midnight. You can celebrate once in HK a few hours before your bday, celebrate on the plane and get a full day of celebrations with your friends/family in Europe! + you get to have a ~7 hours longer birthday
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Data point:
Another data point:
My wife was upgraded 2 years ago HKG-YVR. Check-in evening was her birthday, but flight was 01:30 the next day. Upgraded at check-in with a "Happy Birthday". So seems like birthday upgrade could happen even if flight date is after birthday if it's an early morning flight.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Guess its irregular. Data point of mine: NEVER a birthday upgrade if it crosses over to the day after.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Guess its irregular. Data point of mine: NEVER a birthday upgrade if it crosses over to the day after.
Perhaps CX888 qualifies for a birthday upgrade even the day after the birthday because the flight arrives ON the birthday!

CX888 HKG 00:30 YVR 21:20-1

:P
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Perhaps CX888 qualifies for a birthday upgrade even the day after the birthday because the flight arrives ON the birthday!

CX888 HKG 00:30 YVR 21:20-1

:P
I think the midnight departures such as CX888 can count both ways (actual day of departure and the day prior) if CX is being generous and/or loads are in your favor.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:34 am

Does anyone have experiences with CX birthday upgrades on CX889 from JFK-HKG with a stop in YVR?

The flight leaves in the evening (my birthday) from JFK, but when it leaves from YVR its already the next day. Would the entire flight be upgraded or just the JFK-YVR segment?

I have a oneworld sapphire status.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Freddorick
Does anyone have experiences with CX birthday upgrades on CX889 from JFK-HKG with a stop in YVR?

The flight leaves in the evening (my birthday) from JFK, but when it leaves from YVR its already the next day. Would the entire flight be upgraded or just the JFK-YVR segment?

I have a oneworld sapphire status.
OneWorld partner status doesn't help you at all. They only do it for their own program.

Do you mean you're MPC Gold? (CX's OW Sapphire status level).
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QRC3288
OneWorld partner status doesn't help you at all. They only do it for their own program.

Do you mean you're MPC Gold? (CX's OW Sapphire status level).
If OP is indeed GO, a birthday upgrade, if it happens, should be all the way JFK-YVR-HKG.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:11 pm

5 years MPC Gold , no birthday upgrade

I have read in the other threads of ppl getting upgrades around their birthdays. I have never had one. Any one else in the same boat? Is this a case of squeaky doors get lubricated?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:14 pm

My travel companion was upgraded as GO from Y - J (skipped PEY) on SIN-HKG both legs. SIN-HKG was on the birthday while HKG-SIN was 4 days later.

Flights were not full. Upgrades offered upon check in without prompting. He was also very touched to get a birthday card signed by the whole crew

We were travelling together but on separate itinerary. The front staff did not offer me the same upgrade but at least found me bulkhead seats for the same flight.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:15 pm

Sorry it really is the luck of the draw! I didn't get upgraded on mine but a friend of mine did as GO from Y - J (skipped PEY) on SIN-HKG both legs.

SIN-HKG was on the birthday while HKG-SIN was 4 days later.

Flights were not full. Upgrades offered upon check in without prompting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.