Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
Originally Posted by BLAHBLAHDELTA
Well I am back from Hong Kong and I was able to get a Birthday Upgrade from Y to J for my flight back to NYC.

The return flight is in the top five flights that I have taken, behind my first Solo and first experience in First.

I found out when I arrived at the airport. The gate agent was supper friendly.

Shortly after I boarded I was greeted by the head Steward in J along with the head Steward for the entire flight. I was greated by name and also wished happy birthday. Several times throughout the flight they asked if there was anything that they could do for me. At that time I was happy to be in a J seat rather than the new sloucher / slider seat in Y.

Shortly before the flight landed I was presented with a card that was signed by a good portion of the crew along with a full bottle of champagne to take home.

Cathay Pacific - Thank you for a nice day.

By the way - I joined the MPC.
Good for you and happy birthday! i guess this is a more common occurence for flights ex-HKG compared to other ports. Am i right in saying this?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BLAHBLAHDELTA
By the way - I joined the MPC.
Was that through status match with ur DL or did u pay the US$50?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:47 pm

Just want to share my experiences about this specific birthday upgrade. I got mine 2 weeks ago on HKG-LAX. Whilst waiting in lounge, my name was called. And, my bp was changed to a new one with "Happy Birthday" written on it. It was cute.
On board, there was a card signed by the entire crews. When ISM stopped by, she said Happy Birthday and "all of my teams know". I was quite embarrassed....
At first, I wasn't sure if it was a usual op-up or a bd one till I spotted a few empty seats at the back. Anyway, it was a very smooth flight and I was one very happy customer
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Sam7
Just want to share my experiences about this specific birthday upgrade.
May I ask what tier you are?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
May I ask what tier you are?
I'm a DM
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
Maybe Birthday Upgrades are restricted to DM's and GO's?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
Maybe Birthday Upgrades are restricted to DM's and GO's?
I've known SL to get birthday upgrades also, but none of the card treatment and pampering from ISM that Sam7 got.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
And did you travel exactly on your birthday?

I have an upcoming trip 2 days after my birthday....oh well.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:02 pm

Indeed I flew exactly on my birthday...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sam7
Indeed I flew exactly on my birthday...
I never got any anniversary upgrades as SL.

I'm starting to feel the same: maybe they are more willing to do it for DM and GO and not for SL. Although it could also be the J is full and there's no place to upgrade you to.

Also, I wonder how high of priority does these anniversary/birthday upgrades are? I mean if there's DM, GO on board and overbooked Y do they upgrade the DM/GO first or anniversary/birthday people first? My suspicion is DM/GO first (unless of course you're DM/GO AND having anniversary/birthday)
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Don't fret about it.

12 years on as MPC, and up to my last birthday with some status, I didn't get the op-up at all.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Flew on KA to HKT on my B-day nothing. Maybe this is a CX only thing.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I never got any anniversary upgrades as SL.

I'm starting to feel the same: maybe they are more willing to do it for DM and GO and not for SL. Although it could also be the J is full and there's no place to upgrade you to.
My wife, who is MPC SL flew on her birthday 2 months ago and was upgraded.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub
Same here for Y to J - my wife got upgraded when flying alone for her birthday HKG-SYD (previously on Silver) to visit me on trip.

And I got an upgrade for my birthday for HKG-HKT (previously on Silver) - even together with my wife (Silver as well at that time), which was really a very pleasant surprise and nice start into birthday holidays.

But probably nothing to count on if J is already full as I don't think they would change the preferred ranking for Gold and above.

When I flew SYD-HKG this year just one day after my birthday, the ground staff mumbled that there was nothing open yet but maybe later. Not sure whether she was referring to op-up for Gold or whether it was because of one day after my birthday - think though it was the first, not the latter. It didn't work out in that case - but no issues with day-time flight.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: CX Gold
The identification code for upgrade on CX is printed in the boarding pass.
So, you could recognize which is "Operational Upgrade" or "Birthday Upgrade".
Please confirm the stub of the boarding pass.

ID-code is printed on on a right edge of boading pass.
I --- OP-UG
V --- Birthday UG
M --- Some special UG ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.