Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
I’ve gotten birthday upgrades flying as GO on the day before and after my birthday, then again YYZ isn’t exactly elite heavy. I’ve been told many times that I was 1/2 GO members on the flight. Usually get a cake and a happy birthday song, its quite embarrassing in Y. Don’t mind it in J because less people are watching.
I've only gotten a cake ONCE, and never a song. Though three times they gave me a bottle of Champagne (which is way better than a cake). But usually birthday upgrades I've only gotten it on the day of flight, never the day after (even on same flight with transfers).

All in all, it's fun to travel on your birthday.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I've only gotten a cake ONCE, and never a song. Though three times they gave me a bottle of Champagne (which is way better than a cake). But usually birthday upgrades I've only gotten it on the day of flight, never the day after (even on same flight with transfers).

I’ve never been gifted champagne ever, I’ve gotten a box of chocolates usually at the most. I’ve also written very nice Christmas cards to the crew in past years during the holiday and they’ve given me anything from stationary to chocolate to free PJ’s from F (even flying in Y), but never champagne.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
I’ve gotten birthday upgrades flying as GO on the day before and after my birthday, then again YYZ isn’t exactly elite heavy. I’ve been told many times that I was 1/2 GO members on the flight. Usually get a cake and a happy birthday song, its quite embarrassing in Y. Don’t mind it in J because less people are watching.
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy

That is the first time any of my family ever fly on birthday. My wife got upgraded to F and a birthday card - no cakes, no song (she would probably decline), no champagne (as she was moved to F, probably that would be Krug and would be too expensive).
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
My wife got a birthday upgrade from J to F as a SL (still SL, will be GO after miles are credited). Her flight departed at 1am on her birthday.
Was this an R ticket -> AM -> F?

OT, but on the related note...what if this was say, exHKG. Opups are definitely not entitled to lounge access. But what about birthday / milestone upgrades? Does CX extend the courtesy to include F lounge access?

Or baggage allowance?

Or what about those using the "appreciation cards"? Is the higher class' baggage allowance given?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Daffie
Was this an R ticket -> AM -> F?

OT, but on the related note...what if this was say, exHKG. Opups are definitely not entitled to lounge access. But what about birthday / milestone upgrades? Does CX extend the courtesy to include F lounge access?

Or baggage allowance?

Or what about those using the "appreciation cards"? Is the higher class' baggage allowance given?
It was R->J (U) with AM, then to F. In my wife's case, she got her upgrade at the gate. So she has only J lounge access anyway. I don't believe birthday / milestone upgrades are afforded higher CoS privileges, as that is just a gesture from CX, not an entitlement.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
It was R->J (U) with AM, then to F. In my wife's case, she got her upgrade at the gate. So she has only J lounge access anyway. I don't believe birthday / milestone upgrades are afforded higher CoS privileges, as that is just a gesture from CX, not an entitlement.
Talking about "entitlement", actually none of the following is a black-and-white entitlement for DM:

- Greeting from crew (whether the section crew or the ISM)
- Bottle of water
- Priority meal offering (N/A in my case, see below)
- Seat blocking

Therefore during my recent birthday flight from TPE in V, I have none of the above.

* I think this is the first time no single one came to say a "hi" to me since I made GO 2 years ago
* No one came across, of course no one will give me a bottle of water (or is it a gone benefit actually??)
* Didn't take the TPE meal box, so not applicable...
* in G seat, D E seat seems are companion as they knew each other, and CX is so kind that afraid I may feel sad with an empty F seat, so put a guy in it even there were other empty seats, including bulkhead aisle

Of course, op-up is never an entitlement as well so I got my V seat (fortunately no equipment change... Else based on my TPE bound flight I'll get thrown to the back of the plane...)

What an unforgettable flight... (There's something more to make this an "unforgettable" flight, but let's stick to the topic)

Last edited by sscywong; Nov 8, 2015 at 8:06 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by sscywong

- Greeting from crew (whether the section crew or the ISM)
- Bottle of water
- Priority meal offering (N/A in my case, see below)
- Seat blocking

As DM I still get at least the cabin head to greet me. ISM is hit-and-miss.

Bottle of water - PEY everyone gets one. When I fly Y in KA I no longer get them.

Priority meal offering - not offered one in the last 2+ years. To me this is as good as gone.

Seat blocking - no more, I frequently get people sit next to me when there are plenty of middle seats open elsewhere. I usually sit in the very front row and I guess others wanted to do the same, but they won't block seats next to DM anymore.

Another thing that was good in the past but long gone: get served first for meals. It's really helpful that you don't feel rushed and have time to enjoy a hot cup of coffee and tea. No more.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Last summer my father traveled on his birthday after irrops (bali volcanic eruptions) cancelled his flight DPS-HKG for three days straight. He is not a member of any frequent flyer program and was upgraded to first class HKG-LAX.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:01 am

My first post here, but I've been an active flyer for years - might as well join the game with a birthday question.

Was thinking of booking E class from HKG to JFK on my birthday. As a DM member, what are the odds of a birthday upgrade? I'd say I get op-ups about 40% of the time as is.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by dte421
Was thinking of booking E class from HKG to JFK on my birthday. As a DM member, what are the odds of a birthday upgrade? I'd say I get op-ups about 40% of the time as is.
Odds are pretty good, assuming that Business Class isn't full, which it often can be on the JFK route.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: OW Emerald
I will be travelling on my birthday itself on CX for the first time evr later this year. I am rather intrigued to see what recognition, if any, I receive. I'm hoping for champagne rather than a cake to be honest!!
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
Odds are pretty good, assuming that Business Class isn't full, which it often can be on the JFK route.
Yes, odd is quite good as long as F/J cabins are not full. There can be a few PEY passengers doing mileage upgrades though because PEY to J upgrade requires small amount of AM.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by sebastiansw3
I will be travelling on my birthday itself on CX for the first time evr later this year. I am rather intrigued to see what recognition, if any, I receive. I'm hoping for champagne rather than a cake to be honest!!
That depends on your status on CX. GO & DM usually get birthday upgrades if available. I am not sure for SL and others.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
That depends on your status on CX. GO & DM usually get birthday upgrades if available. I am not sure for SL and others.
I've been a DM for longer than I can care to remember and sadly I don't think I can be upgraded from my usual seat...short of getting to sit with the pilots. Now that would be fun!!
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by sebastiansw3
I've been a DM for longer than I can care to remember and sadly I don't think I can be upgraded from my usual seat...short of getting to sit with the pilots. Now that would be fun!!
You can probably get a birthday upgrade as a DM.

Back when CX flew 744 (as least in the old configuration) to USA, there were J seats upstairs reserved for pilots. You could possibly sit close to them . I don't know where they sit now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.