Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
There are two types of op-ups that airlines should realize.

1) Those idiotic loud mouths that demands an op-up everytime they check in, because they are either semi-famous (a famed director in Taiwan is notorious for demanding op-up everytime he flies), they are some elite member of a program that thinks everyone should kowtow to him, or, they just realized arguing works sometimes and when it works its his gain.

2) Op-ups presented as a gift that motivates people to stay with your airline. These are op-ups that just made FF feel special, and rewarded, for their loyalty and love for the airline. When done right it "steals" would-be FF from other airlines into your own.

I'm all for airline cracking down on 1), and stop appeasing to loud mouths and just tell them NO; however, airlines should also not be stingy on 2) (when done right), and realize this is why people gravitate towards you and sticks with you. Things like birthday upgrades, anniversary upgrades, operational oversold upgrades, milestone upgrades, are good ways to keep loyalty from FF.
Which is why CX should look at but not entirely copy SQ's example -
where SQ is infamously known NOT to ever op up for any reason.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: CX DM, Marriott Plat, SPG lifetime, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
I thought I contribute to this thread.
First time flying on my bd- Tpe to Hkg, got a "happy birthday" from the check in agent with an upgrade to J from Y (with PEY on this flight), and acknowledged on the flight as well with a box of chocolate. Offered to bring a friend up from Economy about 45minutes to landing, i thanked them and declined. Wanted to sing happy birthday but I graciously asked them not to.

The flight I actually wanted to be upgraded was the day before, JFK to HKG to TPE. Which was about 12 hours before the actual Bday. I was on J already and I'm not sure if F was already full.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
My friend and I (both GO members) will be flying in early June which coincides with my friend's birthday. We will be travelling in J class. Just wondering if there will be any chance of any upgrade for both of us to F on his birthday?

The availability is as follows:

F5 A5 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9

We will be flying from HND to HKG on 747.

Thanks.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by hclee01
My friend and I (both GO members) will be flying in early June which coincides with my friend's birthday. We will be travelling in J class. Just wondering if there will be any chance of any upgrade for both of us to F on his birthday?

The availability is as follows:

F5 A5 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9

We will be flying from HND to HKG on 747.

Thanks.
friend maybe. you no.... I even go to seperate the PNR if booked together cuz more likely they upgrade ur friend on single PNR for birthday than to upgrade both of you...
Old May 5, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Got upgraded J-F on my birthday for SHA-HKG, and 30 mins after my birthday for my connecting flight HKG-YVR (CX888), also J-F.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold/TK Elite+/CA Gold/CX Silver
There are two types of op-ups that airlines should realize.

1) Those idiotic loud mouths that demands an op-up everytime they check in, because they are either semi-famous (a famed director in Taiwan is notorious for demanding op-up everytime he flies), they are some elite member of a program that thinks everyone should kowtow to him, or, they just realized arguing works sometimes and when it works its his gain.

2) Op-ups presented as a gift that motivates people to stay with your airline. These are op-ups that just made FF feel special, and rewarded, for their loyalty and love for the airline. When done right it "steals" would-be FF from other airlines into your own.

I'm all for airline cracking down on 1), and stop appeasing to loud mouths and just tell them NO; however, airlines should also not be stingy on 2) (when done right), and realize this is why people gravitate towards you and sticks with you. Things like birthday upgrades, anniversary upgrades, operational oversold upgrades, milestone upgrades, are good ways to keep loyalty from FF.

nine knives ? heheheh

totally agree with you btw.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:41 am

I am SL member and "had" my birthday upgrade recently this month on my CX HKG-PVG sector

I went to the counter for check-in. The agent kept smiling and making phone calls after seeing my ticket.
I didn't expect it was an upgrade but rather flight switch since there were bad weather in Shanghai and delays were crazy, 75% flights got cancelled on the day before plus that day. I saw LOTS of people queuing up......
Surprise 1, the agent later presented me PY boarding pass and said happy birthday.
I ask, is it going to be on time? and the agent replied no information available yet.
Surprise 2, my flight time updated on the board, delayed to the next day morning, just 20 mins after I checked in and when I just got into the lounge......

Finally the agent at lounge handled my case and put my on another KA flight so I enjoyed the upgrade for 20 mins...

I wish I could keep it for my next trip......
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Just got back from my return leg of HKG-YYZ-HKG on CX 829 booked on V fare as GO, which departed at 1:45AM of my actual birthday.

Few observations:
- Both Y and PEY departed 100% fully seated (there was a huge tour group from China (at least 50+ ppl)
- Several seats in J were empty
- No mention of birthday at all at check-in or anyone else
- Was upgraded to PEY
- There was some back and forth between my check-in counter agent and a more senior person. They gave me the original Y BP even though I can see 30H on my mobile app shortly after. I was paged to gate to get new BP during boarding.
- The guy who was initially in 30H got upgraded to J
- I received a greeting a bottle of Naya water

Some conjecture:
- I did not get a birthday upgrade but rather op-up due to GO status and oversold Y cabin

Question:
Are outport birthday upgrades less reliable than departing from HKG?
Is there anything in the system that alerts the check-in agent of a birthday or do they need to notice it on my travel document, etc?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by UnitedTaiwan
I thought I contribute to this thread.
First time flying on my bd- Tpe to Hkg, got a "happy birthday" from the check in agent with an upgrade to J from Y (with PEY on this flight), and acknowledged on the flight as well with a box of chocolate. Offered to bring a friend up from Economy about 45minutes to landing, i thanked them and declined. Wanted to sing happy birthday but I graciously asked them not to.

The flight I actually wanted to be upgraded was the day before, JFK to HKG to TPE. Which was about 12 hours before the actual Bday. I was on J already and I'm not sure if F was already full.
I love that box of chocolate that they gave me on my HKG-PVG sector in my birthday with birthday card signed by all crew members including the captains.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by fluffydot
Just got back from my return leg of HKG-YYZ-HKG on CX 829 booked on V fare as GO, which departed at 1:45AM of my actual birthday.

Few observations:
- Both Y and PEY departed 100% fully seated (there was a huge tour group from China (at least 50+ ppl)
- Several seats in J were empty
- No mention of birthday at all at check-in or anyone else
- Was upgraded to PEY
- There was some back and forth between my check-in counter agent and a more senior person. They gave me the original Y BP even though I can see 30H on my mobile app shortly after. I was paged to gate to get new BP during boarding.
- The guy who was initially in 30H got upgraded to J
- I received a greeting a bottle of Naya water

Some conjecture:
- I did not get a birthday upgrade but rather op-up due to GO status and oversold Y cabin

Question:
Is there anything in the system that alerts the check-in agent of a birthday or do they need to notice it on my travel document, etc?
I got an upgrade ex-SIN on my SIN-HKG-PVG. Upon checkin in SIN when they upgraded me to J due to my birthday, I teased the checkin agent saying will I also get an upgrade on my HKG-PVG, she said in very apologetic way saying that on HKG-PVG is beyond their control, as it is up to HKG station manager to decide.

So it seems to me this birthday upgrade is completely on the station manager discretion.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by fluffydot

Question:
JFK has always given me birthday upgrades to J when there was no PEY, straight Y to J. I haven't tried since I moved to EWR.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101

So it seems to me this birthday upgrade is completely on the station manager discretion.
I was told CX system doesn't process upgrades on its own, but rather will highlight for the station mangers what's going on (over-sold cabins, special occasions like birthdays, milestones, etc.), and it's up to the station managers to actually act on them. (this was informed to me by the JFK station manager 4 years ago, should still apply today)

Of course there are other avenues of upgrades: CX Reservations intervene and change your ticket, etc.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I was told CX system doesn't process upgrades on its own, but rather will highlight for the station mangers what's going on (over-sold cabins, special occasions like birthdays, milestones, etc.), and it's up to the station managers to actually act on them. (this was informed to me by the JFK station manager 4 years ago, should still apply today)

Of course there are other avenues of upgrades: CX Reservations intervene and change your ticket, etc.
Hmmm...I thought that in the case of an over-sold cabin the computer system automatically processes op-ups in accordance with the "published" hierarchy?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GO, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I think everything at CX manual. Similar experience at JFK with milestone upgrade. Check-in agent was obviously alerted to situation, looked around for station manager - nowhere to be found. After a couple of minutes, carried on as normal. Was then upgraded to F in the lounge - I guess once check-in agent had found station manager and manually worked on it.

For oversold - my guess would be someone would still have to plug in the upgrades.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:13 pm

It is interesting my odds of getting an op-up is significantly higher for HKG-JFK (almost every flight) than JFK-HKG (once) as MPC SL/GO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.