FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   How long before miles show up when flying AA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1002735-how-long-before-miles-show-up-when-flying-aa.html)

shortskoolbus Oct 5, 2009 7:05 pm

How long before miles show up when flying AA?

I recently took an AA flight about 3 weeks ago which will be enough to bump me up into Silver. The miles have not yet shown up in my Marco Polo account yet, though I have already flew the first of a LAX - HKG flight, and my return flight is later next week. I wish to have the advantages of the Silver membership for my return flight at least.

How long does it usually take for the AA miles to appear on my Marco Polo club account?

Guy Betsy Oct 5, 2009 7:12 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Cathay Pacific Asiamiles forum.

For AA flights, it may take anywhere from a week to 3 weeks for flights to be credited. Did you see your CX # on your AA boarding pass?

Mrtnw Oct 5, 2009 7:16 pm

In July it took 4-7 days, in September 7-9 days.
Guess AA only sends info to MPC once per week.

shortskoolbus Oct 5, 2009 7:33 pm

This will be the third week now.

I don't have my boarding pass so unfortunately cannot check if my number was on there, but i definitely recall seeing it in the self check in kiosk.

I guess maybe it is just taking a bit longer this time.

tylorcl Oct 5, 2009 7:44 pm

shortskoolbus, you should keep the original boarding pass before the mileage is credited to your Asia Miles account. If for some reason, your account still does not show the mileage, you will be required to send CX the boarding pass and e-ticket receipt to get the missing mileage.

If you do not have the boarding pass, I am afraid you can only credit the mileage to AA account. AA does not require the boaring pass for the flight of its own.

shortskoolbus Oct 5, 2009 7:46 pm

Yup, I've kept it. I learned that lesson a while back ago ;).

Hopefully I don't have to hassle with claiming lost miles though..

On the CX website it says if my miles haven't shown up after 6 weeks, then i should submit the claim. But 6 weeks sounded a bit excessive to me! Especially when i have several flights coming up between now and December on CX!

cxfan1960 Oct 5, 2009 7:50 pm

Should be less than that, usually between 5 and 11 days.

pacificboot Oct 5, 2009 8:36 pm

Generally about 2 weeks.

You should probably file the claim now - 3 weeks is a bit too long.

QRC3288 Oct 6, 2009 1:04 am

I have found there is no "usual" when crediting AA segments, I credited about 10-15 of them last year b/w American and American Eagle. Once it cleared in 3 days. Usual seems to be around a week. Another time last May it took nearly a month (just over four weeks). One of them never cleared (had CX# on it), but it was a short AE flight and miles weren't a concern. One thing I'm confident about: the only thing predictable my last year's AA miles was that they were all completely unpredictable. I imagine AA has ruined a lot of MPC members' strategy for resetting their CX status, especially those fliers who are just on the cusp of say GO or DM status.

The only way to get it done in a time frame you're sure of is to consider leaving your MPC # off all together and then submitting it to CX yourself when you return.

cxfan1960 Oct 6, 2009 3:01 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 12536452)
The only way to get it done in a time frame you're sure of is to consider leaving your MPC # off all together and then submitting it to CX yourself when you return.

Then you may have to pay checked luggage fee, in addition to (if you care) no lounge access and no priority boarding.

QRC3288 Oct 6, 2009 5:03 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 12536782)
Then you may have to pay checked luggage fee, in addition to (if you care) no lounge access and no priority boarding.

True I didn't think of that. I guess I usually fly J or F with them domestically anyway, but this would be a real pain for DMs who primarily travel Y

cxfan1960 Oct 6, 2009 8:04 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 12537221)
True I didn't think of that. I guess I usually fly J or F with them domestically anyway, but this would be a real pain for DMs who primarily travel Y

I travel Y unless my client pays for J/F (I do upgrades occasionally though). They never pay for J/F for domestic travel unless connected with a long haul.:(

In addition, domestic F passengers on AA cannot access AA lounges. I can only access as a non-AA DM or a AMEX Plat holder. I normally care less about the US lounges, but I found that they are very useful if I need assistance.

tedhl Oct 6, 2009 8:12 am

you just need to show them your membership card. I do this very often - don't have either my AA/CX in the record but just show them my CX DM card to get into the lounge.

cxfan1960 Oct 6, 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by tedhl (Post 12538392)
you just need to show them your membership card. I do this very often - don't have either my AA/CX in the record but just show them my CX DM card to get into the lounge.

Does it also work for checked luggage? Do they record the MPC number? Or would you ask them to remove the MPC number after the check-in was done?

I heard that we can ask the agents to remove the FF numbers before boarding. I have not done that yet.

shortskoolbus Oct 13, 2009 4:19 pm

I still haven't received my miles yet through Marco Polo so i went ahead and submitted a claim today.

I'm not local in HK so I faxed them the form, my e-ticket itinerary, and also copies of my Boarding Pass. I hope this is sufficient.

I am a little concerned though because my ticket was purchased through Alaskan Airlines with fare codes V and K for respective legs for a flight operated by American Airlines. The check-in and boarding pass was done at the American Airlines counter, and on the boarding pass it says the class is "S" and "N". I am not sure if that's the equivalent of the fare code.

I think that maybe this has something to do with my delay for getting the miles. booking through Alaskan, checking in with American, etc. I hope that it is not an issue when they compare my eticket itinerary to the boarding pass and see that the flight numbers and Airlines are different and then reject my claim!

My AsiaMiles number is on the boarding pass though...