Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade compensation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Downgrade compensation

What are you entitled to if you have purchased a ticket (cash) for an overbooked flight and as a result get downgraded? I have been offered a voucher valid for 2 years that I can exchange for an upgrade at check in if one is avaliable! Surely this isn't sufficient compensation?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
That's in addition to a refund of the fare difference, presumably?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What is the routing. If an EU departure, you are entitled to a refund of 75% of the segment base fare, although no compensation.

The details really matter in these things and you show an EU location (at least until 2019).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:18 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Someone sued CX in the small claim court for the involuntary downgrade and requested for cash compensation of a % of the fare difference between F and J. But given you have accepted the upgrade voucher, it may be harder for you to build your case.

??????????????????5??????????on.cc??
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The OP said that they were offered a voucher, not that they accepted it.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
From LHR to HKG. I have not accepted the voucher and it is not in addition to anything! If the voucher was an upgrade at time of booking it would probably be reasonable IMO.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Often1
The details really matter in these things and you show an EU location (at least until 2019).
Absolutely true.

Originally Posted by JALPak
But given you have accepted the upgrade voucher, it may be harder for you to build your case.
Not necessary.

It all depends on what exactly OP has signed.

If OP has signed anything indicating this would be the sole and only compensation in lieu of the downgrade, then you are correct. In fact, there would be no case at all. However, AFAICT, this will not be the case.

Also - given CX as a HKSAR company, J ticket holding ending in PEY/Y? It could be potentially a Trade Description Ordinance violation IF CX does not properly remedy the situation.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Often1
What is the routing. If an EU departure, you are entitled to a refund of 75% of the segment base fare, although no compensation.

Since you are departing UK you can claim compensation. Check this thread: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

But I would accept the voucher also which normally won’t remove your entitlement to EC261 compensation as well. The voucher is valuable for a space available upgrade.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Pack
What are you entitled to if you have purchased a ticket (cash) for an overbooked flight and as a result get downgraded? I have been offered a voucher valid for 2 years that I can exchange for an upgrade at check in if one is avaliable! Surely this isn't sufficient compensation?
what a joke. Search around for it, there's another thread by an ex-YYZ biz class pax getting invol downgrade and not getting sufficient compensation.

Embarrassing this is how CX is conducting themselves.

Outports must be under pressure to improve their bottom line and are getting evaluated financially somehow. That's what I read into these anecdotes. The outports seem to be incentivized to "get away with what they can", even if that's not directly said in the KPI or report or whatever the order is from Hong Kong. It's possible headquarters is penalizing outports or something for running high costs, or the outports are given some budget target or something.

I heard about yet another anecdote about CX recently, this was at LAX and an executive at LA World Airports told me. Similar thing. 3 anecdotes in a few months after not hearing of any tells ms something is up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.