Minimum Connection Time in Taipei

Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Minimum Connection Time in Taipei

I seem to recall an existing thread on this topic a long while ago, but I could not bring this up with a search. So, apologies for asking again: I would like to know the minimum connection time in Taipei.

My itinerary begins with KA 486 Hong Kong to Taipei (08:15 - 10:00).

I would then like to take CX 461 Taipei to Hong Kong (11:20 - 13:00) and then on a CX flight connecting to SIN.

Is the time between my KA flight and CX flight enough for me to make the transfer? Is this pushing it too tight?

I will necessarily have luggage to check in. Will I be able to check in my luggage in Hong Kong for HKG-TPE-HKG-SIN, so that I only pick up my bags at destination SIN?

Finally, do I need to go through immigration formalities in TPE, or can I just transfer between Terminal 2 (arrival) and Terminal 1 (departure).

Appreciate any advice.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:48 am

1. Plenty of time

2. They will check direct to SIN. Bags do not have to go to TPE and back!

3. No need to go through immigration in TPE. Follow signs to T1. The CX lounge there is decent.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:42 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Originally Posted by B-HQC
3. No need to go through immigration in TPE. Follow signs to T1. The CX lounge there is decent.
Yup...I actually prefer the Noodle Bar in the TPE lounge...more variety than the one in the Wing/Pier.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I have done the ex-TPE thing multiple times, and it is no fuss, so easy, and saves so much money!

The published minimum is 1 hour, but is easily doable in 45 minutes. Most flights to Taipei arrive on-time, and there are so many later flights in case you miss it. I have done it in 1 hr before, but you 1 hr 20 min is perfect, as it will give you some time to sample the extra variety in the noodle bar (why can't they extend this to LHR/NRT lounges is beyond me).

But HK can't issue your TPE-HKG boarding pass, so make sure you get to the transfer counter. Ususally not staffed, but just call the number at the counter.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pacificboot
But HK can't issue your TPE-HKG boarding pass, so make sure you get to the transfer counter. Ususally not staffed, but just call the number at the counter.
This transfer counter is at Terminal 2 when I arrive, or after I take the monorail to Terminal 1?

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
CX did issue me the return BP from TPE-HKG before for a same-day HKG-TPE-HKG trip. However, you are boarding KA and your return destination is not HKG. That may be different.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:12 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
I have done HKG-TPE-HKG turnaround (on separate tickets) many times and I think 80% of the time I can get my return boarding pass in HKG.

on the question about KA to CX (T2 to T1) - I have always done CX to CX, but is T2 to T1 just as easy ? how far is the walk (or?) from T2 to T1 ? is the published minimum connection time still also 1 hour if the connection is between T1 and T2 ?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:05 pm
Suspended

you can get the boarding pass by OLCI and in TPE it is so easy to transfer. You can walk between T2 and T1 and still make it. The lounge is in T1 after the scanners so make sure you dont wander airside by mistake
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
There's skytrain operated between T2 and T1 in TPE airport, and it's about 15 minutes by walk.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:24 pm

Recently CX canceled some flights between HKG-TPE due to low passenger number and they combined two (or even more) flights into one. Will this be one of the factors to consider when doing a short TPE turnaround?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My TPE-HKG flight was cancelled last month, and I was moved onto a flight leaving 30 minutes later. The cancellations could certainly add a wrinkle to TPE turnarounds.. but I found the cancelled flights are showing on Expert Flyer at least a couple days ahead of departure.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flaps30
Recently CX canceled some flights between HKG-TPE due to low passenger number and they combined two (or even more) flights into one. Will this be one of the factors to consider when doing a short TPE turnaround?
That's a very good point. I'll have to watch out for this.

My HKG-TPE flight is on KA, not CX. Not sure whether KA will cancel their first flight into Taipei, but I know that they have sometimes cancelled the next one. If KA does cancel, am I forced to take the next KA one, or will they rebook me on CX? I'm on a Business Class (I class) fare.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:26 pm
Suspended

I would guess that they have the option to move you onto CX without any question it makes no semse to fly empty planes
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I have a flight from HKG to TPE and I am going to purchase a separate ticket from TPE to NRT. Given that these are 2 separate tickets and in different terminals, is 60 minute doable?

I will have check-in luggage and travelling in J class. If not, I will have to have a longer wait to take the afternoon flight. Also, can I interline the baggage all the way to NRT upon check-in on CX leg and where will be the transfer desk to obtain the JL BP in T2 since I am landing in T1?

Any views? Thanks a lot for sharing!

HKG 0730 hr TPE 0900 hr CX496
TPE 1000 hr NRT 1400 hr JL802
TPE 1315 hr NRT 1715 hr <STRIKE>JL30</STRIKE> JL 0804

Last edited by hclee01; Nov 4, 2012 at 5:51 am Reason: Revision for incorrect flight number quoted
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hclee01
I have a flight from HKG to TPE and I am going to purchase a separate ticket from TPE to NRT. Given that these are 2 separate tickets and in different terminals, is 60 minute doable?...
60 minutes is fine with a single ticket. I won't risk it with 2 separate tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.