Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I note that HSBC currently has at least 5% off all supermarket spending (the computer actually gave me 6%) which, for me. overrides the fact that the HSBC mileage rate is only half that of my normal CitiPremierMiles.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
however, some of their stuff is some 10% higher than outside
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
... and what a co-oincidence, Standard Chartered came up with a 15% / 8% rebate offer for the Park N Shop group :

http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/...d=flash_wow_en
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:49 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
BEA Platinum 3-5% Step-Up Cash Rebate Programme 1 Sep - 30 Nov
================================================== =

This is a son of 4% (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post13799343) cash rebate promotion.

Three phases - 1-30 Sep, 1-31 Oct ,1-30 Nov

You are given a spending target (e.g. mine - 10K)

If you achieve spending target in any phase, you get 3-5% on 6 designated spending categories in that phase

Six cats:
1. Dining
2. Dept store
3. Electrical appliances
4. Fashion & apparel
5. Supermarkets
6. Overseas spending.

Achieve target in any one phase: 3% rebate. Achieve target in second phase, second phase gets 4%. Achieve target in third phase, third phase gets 5%. Each phase's rebate capped at $500 max.

I confirmed with BEA, you don't have to achieve your target with the 6 designated category spending only. You can combine designated spending with non-designated spending (so long they are retail spending) for target calculation purposes.

And as with previous 4% promotion, you still earn normal points which can be converted to Asia Miles at $8/mile.

Full details here http://www.sendspace.com/file/rt9yqh. Even those BEA Plat holders who didn't get the mailer can register by calling 3608 6608 .
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Just had a nasty conversation with two BEA CS. They contend online purchases is not a retail purchase:

http://www.hkbea.com/FileManager/EN/...686/e-tc-2.pdf

13. Eligible transactions include local and overseas retail transactions and cash advances while all other transactions, including but not limited to cash advances, monthly instalments on retail purchases, online/Automatic Teller Machine (“ATM”) bill payments, tax payments, recurring transactions, autopay, Octopus Automatic Add Value Service, “Cash in Hand” programme-related amounts, BEA Traveller’s Card reload amounts, finance charges, late charges, annual fees, bank charges, and other fees and charges from time to time determined and notified to customers by The Bank of East Asia, Limited (“BEA”) are excluded.

I stand to lose approx $270 of rebates if they get their way - I paid some big overseas membership fees online.

Anyone else get different interpretations from this rule?

I will complain if these online purchases get disallowed - it's not explicitly disallowed by notification to me.

But meanwhile I'm posting it here so everyone should avoid online purchases with BEA.
(Update 6 Sep)

I take back the above post. BEA does count online purchases (local and overseas online purchases).

I got my phase 1-4 4% rebate on 27 Aug. After some back and fro calls with BEA CS, BEA finally gave me enough clues to help me reconcile my calculation worksheet with the rebate I actually got.

Now that I've fully agreed my calculation worksheet with theirs, I can state the following did count for the last promotion, so it should count for Sep-Nov 3-5% promotion (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-20.html#289) also:

- Cityline online ticket purchases
- Companies Registry and IRD Business Register search fees paid via 3D
- HK Economic Times online subscription
- Asia Miles transfer fees (counted for 4% because it was charged in USD, despite having a HK biller)
- annual online subscription payment for CFA Institute, as well as for various seminars held by its HK chapter
- Paypal payment for computer parts (counted for 4% because it was charged in USD, despite having a HK biller)
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by tedhl
where in the mailing can I find this ? I very carefully look through all the pages of the little booklet, the T&C sheet, etc...but still can't quite find it...

in my booklet, the pages are (1) intro to eminent, sep 2010 - dec 2011 (2) customer service #, no more dialing 1, 3, 8 etc (3) 20k points = hkd 100 instead of 25k points (4) 40% more asia miles (5) saturday discount at lane crawford and twist (6) recap: "overwhelming privileges starting from here"

nothing in the T&C about this too...

do they have 2 (or more) types of this membership ?
I've received my card too. Nothing about the car. I called the new customer service hotline 2290 8300 - CS confirmed the car offer has only been offered to selected cardholders on trial basis.

Oh well, eliminates all reasons to carry the Eminent card even in the second wallet!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I've received my card too. Nothing about the car. I called the new customer service hotline 2290 8300 - CS confirmed the car offer has only been offered to selected cardholders on trial basis.

Oh well, eliminates all reasons to carry the Eminent card even in the second wallet!
It will in my 2nd wallet for the next 2 weeks because of the Elements promotion and the private car service... After that it will stay home
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:09 am

I've been a bit out of the loop recently.

So to clarify:

- The DBS Platinum is no longer good for dining and overseas use and therefore time to redeem miles and cancel the card?

- DBS Amex still remains good for local spend?

- SCB Amex is still good for foreign spend?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just a quick recap on the DBS car service.

Arrived sharp on time, in airport in 30 minutes, smooth and pleasant ride. Card check is done when boarding. The driver say there's an increasing amount of people using the service.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just a quick recap on the DBS car service.

Arrived sharp on time, in airport in 30 minutes, smooth and pleasant ride. Card check is done when boarding. The driver say there's an increasing amount of people using the service.
Just back to home from airport.

I did change my schedule again but seems their email service is not well connected with their booking people that the message did not passed along correctly.

Got "Upgraded" to a Toyota ... I want my Benz back!!!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:27 am

Just happen to check my DBS account and found this in the e-Statement. My DBS Plat is offically done and I will only use it for the airport transfer service.

The offer of extra 2-time cash rebate or bonus points for overseas spending of DBS Platinum Credit Card and DBS Titanium Card will be terminated from
1/11/10.
Asia Miles & KrisFlyer miles redemption for DBS Credit Card & its co-branded cards (excl.The DBS Black Card) will be changed from 1/11/10.Every 15 bonus
points can be redeemable for 1 mile.HK$50 handling fee will be charged for every 5000miles redeemed (Non 5000miles or its multiples will be charged as at
HK$50 or its multiples).Maximum charge per redemption is HK$300.DBS Credit Card Rewards Programme Terms and Conditions apply, please visit www.dbs.com/hk
for details.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Just happen to check my DBS account and found this in the e-Statement. My DBS Plat is offically done and I will only use it for the airport transfer service.
Yup....I am saying goodbye to by DBS Plat too....after having converted all the miles @ HK$12 a mile 2 weeks ago
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:34 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Yup....I am saying goodbye to by DBS Plat too....after having converted all the miles @ HK$12 a mile 2 weeks ago
Have you (or anyone else) replaced the DBS Plat yet? With Shacom or something else?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:31 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Have you (or anyone else) replaced the DBS Plat yet? With Shacom or something else?
For local dining I am debating if I need a separate card for that, as I will keep DBS until end of next year anyway, so I might just continue to use that as HKD 5 or HKD 4 is not that big difference

For oversea I just fail back to Citi PM
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:42 am

So ... More on the Limo service again.

Just found I forgot to answer one of the question: it is really HKD 100 per trip, not a cent more than that per one-way trip

However, when I asked a question regarding more than 1 pick up point, I got the following answer

Kwun Tong > Tai Po > airport will cost me 530 HKD as it is not same district, their usual rate kicks in
Kwun Tong > anywhere in same district > Airport will cost me 100 HKD

So I missed the chance to impress a girl with a Benz airport transfer? I guess I will meet her @ Tai Po first then.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.