Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

FA's / ISM's personal greeting on board CX aircraft?

Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Hi guys!
Just curious what membership tiers garners the FA's / ISM's personal greeting on board CX, and since everybody's on this forum it should be quite easy to collate this info!
Obviously you'd have to have your CX/OW no. on your boarding pass, for the tier to show in their system.

CX DM / GO / SL?
OW Emerald / Sapphire / Ruby?

Does it matter if you're seated in Y, PY or J? (given everybody in F are royalty anyways)
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
DMs and OWEs
Even in redemption Y
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:03 am

Hit or miss for GO members, depends on the ISM / crew. I was GO before Covid so unsure if this has changed post-Covid.
starvelk likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: CX Gold
I think DM; I didn't get anything special last week as GM! I thought they used to do it even for SM.
Your tier status (at least for CX) s on their iPad; they already know who you are!
matterflyer and gwang0618 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
The general consensus is you need 120k or more followers on your IG acccount.

Though, they have gone lower in the past depending on your profile's contents. YMMV.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:07 pm

Programs: CX Gold, AirChina Platinum
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
The general consensus is you need 120k or more followers on your IG acccount.

Though, they have gone lower in the past depending on your profile's contents. YMMV.
you're joking right.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by simonjp
I think DM; I didn't get anything special last week as GM! I thought they used to do it even for SM.
Your tier status (at least for CX) s on their iPad; they already know who you are!
On yesterday's CX708 BKK-HKG, the ISM came around to greet all status passengers in the Business class, including the two Silver members in front of me.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:12 pm

From my personal experience over the past year:
GO in Y/PEY: high chance to have greeting from SP
GO in J: very low chance to have greeting from ISM (when the ISM did greet, it's most possible the ISM is the type that greet each and every J pax regardless of status)

DM in Y: 95% greet by SP, FP or at least BC (the 5% no greeting happened in CAN route)
DM in J: ~100% greet by ISM (so far all ISM did manage to talk to me some point during the flight. On one flight as I was frantically taking photos of the cabin, ISM came to check if everything's alright. I'm not sure if I should count that as a greeting LOL)
csardas, starvelk and matterflyer like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:59 pm

Programs: Cathay GO, Marriott GO
As a CX GO and been flying at least 4 sectors per month, I get greeted in Y or PEY almost 95% of the time by a FA or purser. The 5% when I dont get greeted was when Ive been chatting with my companion a lot and the FA probably didnt want to interrupt me. These days, almost all short haul flights will have pillow (and sometimes blankets) set up in my seat prior to boarding. For me, the personal greetings and pillow set up have been consistent.

In J, no special greeting by ISM but I do get priority (after DM) meal choice most of the time.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:32 am

CX GO here. Last 5 intra-Asia flights in the last 6 months mostly in paid Y for work -- greeted about 80% of the time.

I look fwd to the greet, not because I crave recognition, but because I take the oppty to ask for water and an extra pillow for my lower back
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:45 am

Will be my first time to fly CX as GO next week, let's see what happens.
dmatthew likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:43 am

YMMV for CX Gold and Silver.

I am Gold whilst my parents are Silver and choice of meal was never offered. On a trip to SIN in Y, all 3 of us were greeted as a family on both legs despite having different booking numbers. All 3 of our seats had the pillow+blanket package ready. We did receive a few odd looks as it was a "bucket and spade" heavy flight.

From my limited experience, I find greetings the most beneficial when travelling with others who do not have status. I do not crave the recognition nor need any pampering but it ensured my friend was taken care of. I did an LHR-HKG-SIN multi-city itinerary with a friend in PE for the first two flights and J in the latter two. I received the greetings on all 4 flights. On the flight to SIN. My friend didn't receive the pillow+blanket package. The proactive greeting from the gold jacket (pursuer?) was handy for an extra blanket when the cabin was freezing. A minor point for the water snobs out there, Diamonds will receive Evian whilst goldies only get Bonaqua .

Both SIN-HKG and HKG-LHR flights were upgraded at the check-in counter using Miles. I am unsure whether it is standard procedure to greet every J pax but I was greeted twice on both flights. The first was a formality and the second was to take my meal order. To me, it's de minimis but it allowed me to let the crew know it was my friend's first time in J instead of walking into the gallery. It was noticeable that the crew took extra care of her, from explaining the menu to topping up her drinks and even offering an extra dessert!

Overall, I find a greeting sets the tone of the flight and allows the crew to go the extra mile occasionally. It is a nice touch, given how hard it is to earn status with CX these days.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:31 pm

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Originally Posted by CX HK
Hit or miss for GO members, depends on the ISM / crew. I was GO before Covid so unsure if this has changed post-Covid.
I've been Gold since 2016. Pre-covid was I'd say was close to 80% (almost 100% on long haul flights) on greetings. On around 15 flights since 2023 I could probably count with one hand the number of greetings. Maybe that's cause I've flown more short haul recently but I also remember on one of my fights (could even be both) to or from LAX/YYZ in PEY, there was no greeting.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:32 pm

Repeat post

Last edited by mojambo; Apr 3, 2024 at 2:34 pm Reason: Repeat post
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:34 pm

As DM for the past 10 or so years, I'd say greeting in any class has been 95%. Funnily enough I flew HKG-LHR this week in J and did not get a greeting. Cabin wasn't full, but the ISM did seem a bit lost throughout the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.