Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong lifts all Covid restrictions from Wednesday

Old Dec 13, 2022, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond

'Arrivals from Wednesday who test negative will no longer need an amber health code and can enter restaurants and other premises previously off limits to them
New rules will also do away with scanning of QR code on app to enter citywide premises, but restaurant patrons and entrants to certain venues will still need to show jabs record

From South china Morning Post at 5.15pm local
Old Dec 13, 2022, 4:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Wouldn't say it's entirely lifted. Those arriving from overseas are still subject to Day 0 and day 2 PCR tests (and risking a minimum 5-day quarantine by law)
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
They of course would not not compelled to enter HK they can leave without entering.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:47 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
SCMP's drinking the Government Kool-Aid (maybe it is not longer feasible to operate a news organisation in HK without doing so).

What is lifted:
- Leavehomesafe (just deleted)
- Amber codes for arrivals

What is not lifted:
- medical surveillance for arrivals (day 0 and day 2 PCR, RAT tests days 1-5)
- quarantine at residence or government facility if tested positive
- vaccine pass (the local one, which will be issued to visitors along with the medical surveillance order)
- segregated China/rest of world arrivals at HKG
- wearing masks in public
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
What is not lifted:
Also presumably not lifted are any of the restrictions on foreign flight crew. I was told by a crew member for an overseas airline that theyre still confined to hotel in HK. I cant confirm that this is the rule but I dont see a reason to doubt itoverseas airline staffing simply isnt a top issue for the government.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 10:24 am

Well, at least it's a step in the right direction, even if a baby one.
lsquare and royng like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Life PLT 2MM+, JL, CX, SQ, EK, QF, UA, BA, AR, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
They of course would not not compelled to enter HK they can leave without entering.
Since the PCR test at HKG is "test and go", you don't get the results for at least a few hours (I just returned from HKG two days ago, and my result took three hours to get). If you test positive on Day 2's PCR test, you can't leave until quarantine is over. May I ask how (or why) someone would choose not to enter HKG on arrival (transit of course is a different story) after flying there (unless they are doing a turnaround MR)? The way they have it set up, once you enter the testing area, you can't change your mind and get back on a plane.

As a side note, I didn't see ANYONE scanning QR codes using the "Leave Home Safe" app when entering any shop or other venue for the week I was there. Restaurants, on the other hand WERE checking for the Blue QR code.
lsquare and TomYoung like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 11:53 am

I am flying to Hong Kong (DC-SFO-TPE-HK) this Thursday, Dec 15. How do I provide proof of a self-administered rapid COVID test given that is an allowable form of testing? Does the HK health screening site that I have to complete prior to check in at DC allow for something to be uploaded? Also, it says that the test must be performed no more than 24 hours before your last direct flight to HK (which is TPE-HK for me) but you will not be allowed to check in at DC without proof of a negative test. My check-in at DC is more than 24 hours before my TPE flight. Confusing. Any direction would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Also presumably not lifted are any of the restrictions on foreign flight crew. I was told by a crew member for an overseas airline that theyre still confined to hotel in HK. I cant confirm that this is the rule but I dont see a reason to doubt itoverseas airline staffing simply isnt a top issue for the government.
Indeed a rule, have a friend who just landed in HKG and is now stuck in a Marriott for 24 hours before even allowed to exit her room.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by argthe3rd
I am flying to Hong Kong (DC-SFO-TPE-HK) this Thursday, Dec 15. How do I provide proof of a self-administered rapid COVID test given that is an allowable form of testing? Does the HK health screening site that I have to complete prior to check in at DC allow for something to be uploaded? Also, it says that the test must be performed no more than 24 hours before your last direct flight to HK (which is TPE-HK for me) but you will not be allowed to check in at DC without proof of a negative test. My check-in at DC is more than 24 hours before my TPE flight. Confusing. Any direction would be helpful. Thanks.
You need to submit a Hong Kong Health Declaration before you will be allowed to board the plane (if the agent is following the rules). You can do that at this website: https://hdf.chp.gov.hk/dhehd/?lang=en-us
Once you submit the form, you will get a green QR code which you should save to your phone. This QR code is what the agent will want to see at check-in. The Declaration has a question where you declare that you have taken the RAT test and it is negative. You do not need to upload anything, but I would take a picture of the test strip and save it to your phone just in case. Buy one of the RAT self test kits and administer it at the appropriate time.
argthe3rd likes this.

Last edited by RD57; Dec 13, 2022 at 1:30 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 13, 2022, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Indeed a rule, have a friend who just landed in HKG and is now stuck in a Marriott for 24 hours before even allowed to exit her room.
I have friends in that Marriott also. The entire hotel is aircrew only.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 1:56 pm

Hong King is NOT lifting restrictions. It is still such a palaver. Having to take a photo of your daily RAT tests for 5 days, then uploading them to the Governmental site. Plus also needing to go a community test site, for your 2 x PCR tests. Mask wearing is still mandatory EVERYWHERE, including outdoor areas.
TomYoung and walkup like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
So presumably, if you were to have, say, a 14 hour layover, you couldn't enter HKG for the day after taking the first PCR test, then come back to the connecting flight?
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by woobl
So presumably, if you were to have, say, a 14 hour layover, you couldn't enter HKG for the day after taking the first PCR test, then come back to the connecting flight?
Yes you can do the PCR test upon arrival and enter HK proper.
Outcome A; Test -'ve: leave on booked connecting flight
Outcome B; Test +'ve(results are coming back around 2 hours): you will be under isolation order and will not be able to depart from HK for at least 5 days and two consecutive days test results -'ve.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by xtra1
Hong King is NOT lifting restrictions. It is still such a palaver. Having to take a photo of your daily RAT tests for 5 days, then uploading them to the Governmental site. Plus also needing to go a community test site, for your 2 x PCR tests. Mask wearing is still mandatory EVERYWHERE, including outdoor areas.
You are only PCR tested upon arrival at airport and then day 2 post arrival at a community testing centre.
You are to do daily RAT test. There is no requirement to upload to Gov site daily. One is advised to keep photo records of their test results with date stamp just in case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.