FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   First class lounge admission (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2103932-first-class-lounge-admission.html)

ailiton Dec 12, 2022 9:17 pm

First class lounge admission

I'd like to see whether I will be admitted to the first class lounge at HKG under the following scenario. I'm planning to fly from CDG - HKG on F and then connecting to HKG - Bangkok in Y on a separate ticket. Cathay states that the highest class of travel will be honoured if the two segments are on the same ticket but would the lounge agent actually know I'm on a separate ticket?

Just want to see whether anyone has experience with this.

brunos Dec 12, 2022 11:14 pm

In any case, the only "real" F lounge is the Wing, but that is only opened to pax originating in HK, not transit pax from EU.
There is a cordonned section in the Pier for F and OW Emerald.
You could try to get admitted to that section based on your previous F boarding pass. The outcome is uncertain and I doubt that many could share that specific experience as CX is only restarting F from CDG in mid-January and has just restarted F from LHR.

HarbourGent Dec 12, 2022 11:58 pm

In my experience, the answer is no. I flew DPS to HKG on J and had a separate ticket a couple of hours later in Y for HKG to AMS with no status and was told I couldn't use the J lounge for the above reason.

Alawyer Dec 13, 2022 1:33 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 34829542)
In any case, the only "real" F lounge is the Wing, but that is only opened to pax originating in HK, not transit pax from EU.

I'm wondering if this division will still be in effect when Hong Kong scraps the use of the Leave Home Safe app and all amber restrictions as of Wed 14 Dec. Can everyone now use the Wing F?

clubeurope Dec 13, 2022 1:37 am

Originally Posted by HarbourGent (Post 34829605)
In my experience, the answer is no. I flew DPS to HKG on J and had a separate ticket a couple of hours later in Y for HKG to AMS with no status and was told I couldn't use the J lounge for the above reason.

I think the issue was that DPS to HKG is considered a short-haul, whereas oneworld lounge access rules permits lounge entry before the connecting flight regardless of travel class assuming that one is connecting from a long haul…

ow’s website does not explicitly mention that the connection has to be under the same ticket, so I’d imagine OP should be able to enter a lounge.

SW7London Dec 13, 2022 1:49 am

Pre covid I've done this - F or J on the long haul from Europe to HKG, connecting to short haul flight in Y and no issue accessing the Wing or Pier lounges based on my long haul cabin.

dvs7310 Dec 13, 2022 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Alawyer (Post 34829724)
I'm wondering if this division will still be in effect when Hong Kong scraps the use of the Leave Home Safe app and all amber restrictions as of Wed 14 Dec. Can everyone now use the Wing F?

I'm watching this forum for exactly the same info. Hopefully so!

percysmith Dec 13, 2022 7:26 am

Originally Posted by SW7London (Post 34829751)
Pre covid I've done this - F or J on the long haul from Europe to HKG, connecting to short haul flight in Y and no issue accessing the Wing or Pier lounges based on my long haul cabin.

Trust this is pre-pandemic HKG.

The difference is not the lounge access rules but rather HKG departures level being separated to local departures to Mainland and departures and transits to rest of world area. The backflow barrier is between gates 20 and 21, rest of world area is >21 and Wing Flounge is Gate 2

No. Updated as of today's announcement:

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 34830087)
Still no access to Wing Flounge for transit:

1. Backflow barrier between gates 20 and 21 not removed.
Non-China transit pax use transit points >21 and board their planes in rest of world area gates >21

If you’re contemplating entering HK, declaring a false nominal address and then leaving for Gate 1:

2. HK is still continuing testing regimen as mentioned by maalloc upthread, so a Medical Surveillance order will still be issued against you.

3. Only in the medical surveillance order will you find your visitor vaccine pass. This took me 19:41 to access when I landed 18:24 on 29 Nov

4. Wing needs vaccine pass to access, just like any other HK dining establishment. Foreign certificates and credentials cannot be accepted directly (if visitor, you need to upload your credential in the pre-arrival Health Declaration Form ).

4.a. Today’s changes simply mean you do not have to install Leavehomesafe app to scan restaurant’s code, not have a two day ban on visiting restaurants and bars - you are blue code on day 0.

5. Not to mention you will be subject to Hong Kong law incl Cap 599 until doors close, so if you’re found to be positive, you’re obliged to notify crew, walk off the plane and proceed to your declared place of residence to quarantine.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5fae90668e.png

longtin23 Dec 13, 2022 7:55 am

I don't see the segregation (imposed by the Airport Authority) would be lifted until China reopens to Hong Kong. This segregation is mainly to separate the gate for flights to Mainland China and rest of the world. It is considered as an act for mainland China government to think something has been done to minimize the risk of China-bound passengers.

HarbourGent Dec 13, 2022 8:55 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope (Post 34829730)
I think the issue was that DPS to HKG is considered a short-haul, whereas oneworld lounge access rules permits lounge entry before the connecting flight regardless of travel class assuming that one is connecting from a long haul…

ow’s website does not explicitly mention that the connection has to be under the same ticket, so I’d imagine OP should be able to enter a lounge.

Fair point.

RD57 Dec 13, 2022 10:46 am

It seems that the Wing is open to both F and J pax. I flew HKG-HND on December 9 in J and was invited to use either Wing or Pier. Plane was at Gate 25 so I chose the Wing. You do need a Blue QR code (HK Vaccine Pass) to get in. Not open to transit pax.

xtra1 Dec 13, 2022 1:05 pm

Was at the Wing in late November. Only open to those (FC and Emeralds) with the Hong Kong "LeaveHomeSafe" app, showing the Blue QR code. The Wing itself, felt rather dull; without the normal 'hustle and bustle'. BTW :- Most shops at HKIA; remain closed.