First Class comeback

Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:48 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Brunos As I recall my post mentioned that CX is a British own and operated airline -which it is
The word controlled = to control
While I don't for one moment wholly discount that which you mention above the indisputable fact is that the airline while a publicly listed HK company its controlling and major shareholder is British as of course it has been for decades.
To proclaim otherwise is just incorrect and however loud you shout CX is since 1948 a British owned airline operated as a subsidiary of British owned Swire group who control the airline and directly own 42% of the shares and indirectly a further about 6%.
henryc41 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is indisputable that the major stockholder of CX, by far, is ultimately a British entity. Hence, it exercises near equity control..
It is also indisputable that it is operated as a Hong Kong airline, under those operational benefits and constraints that have been evident in the past. And a HK airline that has been bailed out by the HK government, not the British government. .
Old Apr 7, 2023, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
I totally disagree that the service style or delivery post or prior to 1997 was different when attending to us Brits. To be frank l I consider the above to be absolute nonsense - it just did not happen.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, and it even happened as recently as several years ago on a F TPAC. And, I'm not making the observation on a small sample size, but enough flights over decades from my childhood (the old Kai Tak) to now and sharing experiences with others, some of whom were Hong Kongers and Americans.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:38 pm

Brunos I have never disagreed that the airline operates its flying operations only out of its Hong Kong base (at the moment) however the company that controls it is British and has 'owned' the airline for over 70 years. Possibly you have not noticed that every Cathay Pacific aircraft carries a large SWIRE logo.
There has not been much comment re the airline dropping 'Pacific' from its logo but it would not have been without a significant strategic purpose.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:45 pm

Yes Visconti I do disagree principally because the sample on which you base your observation is so small and I suggest too small on which to base such a sweeping conclusion.
It is an interesting point of view though.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
Brunos I have never disagreed that the airline operates its flying operations only out of its Hong Kong base (at the moment) however the company that controls it is British and has 'owned' the airline for over 70 years. Possibly you have not noticed that every Cathay Pacific aircraft carries a large SWIRE logo.
There has not been much comment re the airline dropping 'Pacific' from its logo but it would not have been without a significant strategic purpose.
I don't disagree with you. And yes, I have noticed the logo of Swire Pacific, a Hong Kong based company.
You have moved your terminology from "British airline" to British-owned", then to "British-controlled" and you are right that Swire Pacific owns 45% and basically has voting control.
My point is that the "British control" is limited by a lot of Chinese constraints. No doubt that the ultimate majority owner is a British corporate entity. But some might interpret your words, in the current political environment, as suggesting that CX is an airline "controlled" by some British authorities, which it is not.
I guess we have reached the end of our road or agreeing/disagreeing.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 3:43 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Visconti
PS - Speaking of English accents, is the voice on the MTR real? That's like the most elegant English I've ever heard, even more English than in England!
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-announcements
Coathanger and Visconti like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:06 am

Brunos I give up !
Defeated by your hair splitting
Best of British
Old Apr 9, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Silver
As promised, here are some photos of the experience.
First impressions: FA's were extremely attentive. Always asking if I needed something. Food was 10/10 couldn't fault anything. Krug 2004 is truly one of the best champagnes I've ever had. Wonderful F checkin experience. Delicious food at the lounge pre departure.
Unfortunately, there was a slight issue with my Audio jack in 1A but the FA swiftly solved the problem. Had to change a couple of Bose headphones as the first one was Pilling. Not a huge problem.
The Seat massager was a really nice touch - relaxing experience all flight.

The F Seat in all its Glory

Huge IFE Screen

Seat controls and Remote

Welcome Drink (Sparkling Jasmine Tea + hot towel)

Menu!

Loved the little Crab amuse bouche

Caviar Service

Cold Shrimp App

Beef!

Cheese Plate

Chinese Dessert

Best Bed in the Sky!

Best Yoghurt dish I've ever had!

Classic Fried Egg breakfast
Old Apr 9, 2023, 2:58 pm

Oh wow, thanks! Fascinating read! Since the 90s? Had no idea, and probably wouldn't have even thought about it had not for the pandemic rendering travel verboten. Far as I'm concerned, much better than the computerized train announcements (BART) here in the Bay Area, which just sounds utterly horrible and dystopian; there are times when I can barely make out what the digital voice is trying to say.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:45 pm

Pol212 I echo your views re CX 1st class - I only fly 1st about 1 in every 4 or 5 flights -meaning once or perhaps twice in a year but this keeps the experience fresh and special.
pol212 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by pol212
As promised, here are some photos of the experience.
First impressions: FA's were extremely attentive. Always asking if I needed something. Food was 10/10 couldn't fault anything. Krug 2004 is truly one of the best champagnes I've ever had. Wonderful F checkin experience. Delicious food at the lounge pre departure.
Unfortunately, there was a slight issue with my Audio jack in 1A but the FA swiftly solved the problem. Had to change a couple of Bose headphones as the first one was Pilling. Not a huge problem.
The Seat massager was a really nice touch - relaxing experience all flight.

Curious about the new partnership with Duddell's. How was the shrimp appetizer and dessert? Seems odd they served that shrimp dish in F considering they said its for the J menu in the press release. The chinese main also seems uninspiring
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Simflyer1776
Curious about the new partnership with Duddell's. How was the shrimp appetizer and dessert? Seems odd they served that shrimp dish in F considering they said its for the J menu in the press release. The chinese main also seems uninspiring
Wasn't really raving about the Chinese dessert and shrimp dish. Honestly, wanted to try the Cod!
Shrimp dish: didnt have too much flavor
Chinese dessert: Wasnt a fan of the texture but did appreciate the uniqueness in taste.
Simflyer1776 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:46 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Did they have the Betsy Beer on offer? Been trying to find a way to try it since the pandemic "ended"...!
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Did they have the Betsy Beer on offer? Been trying to find a way to try it since the pandemic "ended"...!
They sure did! But I stuck to Krug 2004 and the Cathay Delight (Pleasantly surprised by this one)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.