First Class comeback

Old Jan 14, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Thank you for the extra info.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:55 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I heard CX will officially retire Kaiseki Meal on CX549 (584 is breakfast, and historically no kaiseki options). It will be replaced with a "Modern Adaptation" of Japanese favorites...whatever that means
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
It looks like CX is bringing back first class from LAX starting on March 27th; tickets seem to be available for purchase now.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Sadly no award space available initially, unlike when Paris and Tokyo were put back on the schedule
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:45 pm

Hi there - some good deals Ex Europe via London to Japan on Cathay in First- and looking to go for my honeymoon..!
Could anyone tell me what the service is like Post-Covid? Are masks enthusiastically enforced? Can you still eat together like before? Any and all information welcome!

Also it looks like the HKG-HND flight is also on a 777 in F- is that correct?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by enemigo
Hi there - some good deals Ex Europe via London to Japan on Cathay in First- and looking to go for my honeymoon..!
Could anyone tell me what the service is like Post-Covid? Are masks enthusiastically enforced? Can you still eat together like before? Any and all information welcome!

Also it looks like the HKG-HND flight is also on a 777 in F- is that correct?

Many thanks!
F service is pre-covid and excellent.

Lately the HK government has strongly pushed for masks enforcement. It was enforced on my recent regional flights. But in F, and if you keep a glass nearby ....
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Does anyone know if JFK is next/soon up on the resumption list? Is the mask policy still if youre reclined and sleeping theyre not required?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by brunos
F service is pre-covid and excellent.

Lately the HK government has strongly pushed for masks enforcement. It was enforced on my recent regional flights. But in F, and if you keep a glass nearby ....
Do you have any recent menus Brunos?
tuchop, sushimaru and enemigo like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:16 am

The main problem with CX is the crews. Not enough crews. With first class, they will need more crews.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I just got off CX 251 in F yesterday. The service was generally consistently as good as before, and the hard product is of course solid.

I haven't tried the 'refreshed F service' (introduced in late 2019) so this was my first time for this, I found the food to be slightly downgraded from before (there was no steak / lobster / clay pot rice i.e. 'fancy mains' available for the main meal service after takeoff). But as my first post-COVID CX F trip, I can say that the downgrades while existent are minimal (compared to J class food and service nowadays, which has completely gone down the drain).

The champagne and red on offer was Krug 2004 and Chateau Montrose St Estephe 2006.

The flight overall would be a high pass for me but if I had to find two things to complain about, it would probably be the ground experience both pre departure and post arrival - we all know the sad state of affairs at the CX HKG lounges nowadays, and for LHR arrival - AA arrival lounge access is no longer granted (which is annoying as at 5am after a 14 hour flight in FCL a shower facility would be most welcome).

My only gripe is that CX has made it insanely difficult to use DM1600 bookable upgrade certificates on their int'l FCL routes by making the A class inventory unnecessarily tight nowadays.
Meanwhile they have been releasing more and more redemption award seats - even two at a time - although not to other oneworld partner programs.
Still, it puzzles me that they believe the housewives churning their StanChart credit cards at home with balances of millions of miles, but who may not have bought a single revenue ticket from CX ever, are granted more availability to F Class over the airline's most loyal customers who have recurringly put in significant chunks of money on revenue tickets year after year (and in this case, overshooting the DM requalification threshold by at least 1/3). And not to mention that us as DMs do not get any mileage multipliers when we fly CX, unlike top elites at many other oneworld airline FFPs say BA and AA.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:53 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
But don't you DMs still have redeeming redemption seats out of revenue?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by percysmith
But don't you DMs still have redeeming redemption seats out of revenue?
Both are exempt from this benefit - FCL and CX 251

And honestly I don't know how to manufacture spend in a way to maintain a rolling AM balance of 7 digits unlike many expert housewives... I would happily join them if I knew / could and given I can't beat them
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I just got off CX 251 in F yesterday. The service was generally consistently as good as before, and the hard product is of course solid.
Thank you G-CIVC for this.

Nice Insta page too!
Old Jan 23, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
My only gripe is that CX has made it insanely difficult to use DM1600 bookable upgrade certificates on their int'l FCL routes by making the A class inventory unnecessarily tight nowadays.
Meanwhile they have been releasing more and more redemption award seats - even two at a time - although not to other oneworld partner programs.
Still, it puzzles me that they believe the housewives churning their StanChart credit cards at home with balances of millions of miles, but who may not have bought a single revenue ticket from CX ever, are granted more availability to F Class over the airline's most loyal customers who have recurringly put in significant chunks of money on revenue tickets year after year (and in this case, overshooting the DM requalification threshold by at least 1/3). And not to mention that us as DMs do not get any mileage multipliers when we fly CX, unlike top elites at many other oneworld airline FFPs say BA and AA.
Agree entirely - maybe A class quotas will start to get better during the course of 2023 before all our accumulated BUs expire......maybe wishful thinking........
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:22 pm

Thought this might be the right place for this... I just booked business on LAX-HKG on the 77W before first class is for sale. Seats in rows 1-2 are showing blocked on expertflyer.

How do they allocate the first class cabin seats, or do they just leave the cabin empty for now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.