Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Possible to move first leg of flight forward?

Old Nov 16, 22, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

We have a flight CDG-HKG-SYD in December which is all on the same ticket. When we booked, the restrictions in HKG meant we weren't able to have a suitable layover to visit my partner's family in HKG. However, now with the new rules we're wondering if there is a way to move the first leg of the journey (CDG-HKG) forward a couple of days within the confines of the ticket? I.e. Currently flying on the 24th Dec, but could we move the first leg to say, the 22nd and it still be a valid ticket but with a stopover? The current ticket is a fast transit in HKG to the SYD leg.
Old Nov 16, 22, 5:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
Unfortunately, no. The stopover on a one-way ticket (or on the inbound/outbound legs of a round-trip) must be less than 24 hours.

The most you can do is arrive on the 23rd and leave on the 24th. That is, assuming there is availability,
Old Nov 16, 22, 7:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Platinum, GE
Originally Posted by jaytw View Post
Unfortunately, no. The stopover on a one-way ticket (or on the inbound/outbound legs of a round-trip) must be less than 24 hours.

The most you can do is arrive on the 23rd and leave on the 24th. That is, assuming there is availability,
That's if the OP redeemed through Asia Miles (which no longer allows >24 hour stopovers) - but if paying by cash, or partner award programs - I'm sure many ticket options would allow for stopovers. OP's ticket might just have to be repriced if entirely unflown
Old Nov 16, 22, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks both. Its a cash booking, with the return leg (SYD-HKG-CDG) in February.
Old Nov 16, 22, 11:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plus Platinum, Caesar's Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold,
Oh wow, it totally slipped my mind that it could be a cash booking. Good catch there, or Id be giving wrong info! Yes, in that case it certainly can be changed, and its free to do so before the end of the year regardless of fare class. You will need to cover the fare and fuel surcharge differences (if any), as well as the extra airport taxes that need to be tacked on for the HKG stopover. If I recall correctly, the tax difference between a transfer and a stopover should be a HKD120 per person departure tax.
Old Nov 16, 22, 1:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by jaytw View Post
Oh wow, it totally slipped my mind that it could be a cash booking. Good catch there, or Id be giving wrong info! Yes, in that case it certainly can be changed, and its free to do so before the end of the year regardless of fare class. You will need to cover the fare and fuel surcharge differences (if any), as well as the extra airport taxes that need to be tacked on for the HKG stopover. If I recall correctly, the tax difference between a transfer and a stopover should be a HKD120 per person departure tax.
Wouldn't OP be repriced (the base fare I mean) even on a cash ticket?
Old Nov 16, 22, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Just a heads up:
If you enter HK provided that you have fulfilled the entrance requirement, there is a landing PCR test. (At the present date of Nov 17).
If your result for this test is +ve you will have an isolation order and will need to stay for the isolation order duration (7+ days). Implication is you will not be able to exit HK unless you have a private plane or yacht.
woobl likes this.
Old Nov 16, 22, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Cathay's current program is pretty flexible on ticket changes at the moment so I'd imagine with any cash ticket you should be able to ask about moving, as long as there is availability in your class it will be free: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ut-charge.html - so hopefully you can make the change you want. They will reprice if the fare class changes, and the new fares may be far higher, but its easy enough to ask.

tentseller's advice is solid though - there is a risk if you test positive for COVID your holiday will be severely disrupted. I'm not sure if I'd take that risk personally. The testing results are a lot more rapid now as well, my last time was in under 2.5 hours, so even a 6hr stopover, where you exit the airport for lunch, may be too risky.
Old Nov 17, 22, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
While the change fee is waived, the fare difference is not. And the fare difference with a stopover is likely to be huge, even in the same fare class.
Old Nov 17, 22, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Spoke to Cathay and although it was technically possible, they could not get a fare together for the CDG-HKG flight a few days earlier. There was a flight available with a connection, but this was outside of the fare rules.
Old Nov 18, 22, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by woobl View Post
Spoke to Cathay and although it was technically possible, they could not get a fare together for the CDG-HKG flight a few days earlier. There was a flight available with a connection, but this was outside of the fare rules.
CX schedules CX260 4 times a week. There is a flight on 22nd (quite empty) and 19 (more busy). You could try those dates and 22 wil be cheaper.
woobl likes this.

Search this Thread