Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

A message from our CEO, Augustus Tang

Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier

can view here.

We’re extending your membership
In August, we launched the elevated Cathay membership programme. We’d like to thank you for your longstanding support, and help you embark on more adventures while enjoying all the Cathay status benefits you love. That’s why we’re automatically extending all Silver, Gold and Diamond memberships, as well as any unused mid-status benefits earned this year, until 31 December 2023. You can click here to learn more.

If you’ve fulfilled the conditions to extend your membership on or before 31 October this year, we’ll arrange something special to express our gratitude for your support. You’ve put in a lot of effort to maintain your status, and we want to show our appreciation. We’ll be in touch with details by email and on our website by the end of the month, so stay tuned.

automatic extensions to Dec 31st 2023.

More details on the "Special Rewards" for those who fulfilled before Oct 31st.

Special rewards for members who have fulfilled the conditions to extend the membership status on or before 31 October 2022
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Not great news on the unused mid-tiers - all mine expire in November 2022! Any only those expiring from December 2022 will be extended? Makes no sense.

Last edited by Conkers; Oct 7, 2022 at 4:47 am
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond)
I've already re-qualified. I wonder what surprise is in store for me.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:24 am

When I received the email and saw Augustus Tang's photo, my immediate reaction was that he looks so sad, disinterested, and devoid of passion. It's like he's lost whatever fire he's supposed to have in his job, and he's doing it par course, having lost all will to fight. His facial expression doesn't make me at all "believe" his words (that I'm sure were well crafted by his PR team).

I so badly wanted to give him a bear hug to make him feel better. And say buck up - you're the CEO, rise to your job!

Is this what 2+ years of COVID dismemberment in Hong Kong has done to a person?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:02 am

I look forward to the "special gift" for those of us who requalified -- a complimentary stay in Penny Bay witih free Wi-Fi?
Nicc HK, TomYoung, Alawyer and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: MPCGO, AYPt, SQG, HHDiamond

Last edited by NeoZ; Oct 7, 2022 at 6:35 am Reason: delete
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Conkers
Not great news on the unused mid-tiers - all mine expire in November 2022! Any only those expiring from December 2022 will be extended? Makes no sense.
I thought CX had announced a year ago that all existing mid-tier benefits that expire before Dec. 2022 would automatically be renewed to Dec. 2022 upon expiry? This just means it would be renewed twice to Dec. 2023.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I thought CX had announced a year ago that all existing mid-tier benefits that expire before Dec. 2022 would automatically be renewed to Dec. 2022 upon expiry? This just means it would be renewed twice to Dec. 2023.
thank you Ernest that would make sense since one I had that expired in August was extended to December 2022. Fingers crossed for the other 4 next month. Thanks!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
How do you know if you re-qualified? I did 3 BA sectors and 1 IB sector. Got status points from them. Not sure if those count.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by hermanc
How do you know if you re-qualified? I did 3 BA sectors and 1 IB sector. Got status points from them. Not sure if those count.
Then you re-qualified.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
When I received the email and saw Augustus Tang's photo, my immediate reaction was that he looks so sad, disinterested, and devoid of passion. It's like he's lost whatever fire he's supposed to have in his job, and he's doing it par course, having lost all will to fight. His facial expression doesn't make me at all "believe" his words (that I'm sure were well crafted by his PR team).

I so badly wanted to give him a bear hug to make him feel better. And say buck up - you're the CEO, rise to your job!

Is this what 2+ years of COVID dismemberment in Hong Kong has done to a person?
He didn't even want the top job I believe, nor did Swire want to give it to him. It was a necessity during the 2019 protests; he was just meant to be a steadying hand to lead them through the political tensions. But then unexpectedly Covid hit and here we are.

I expect he will be replaced soon, and sooner the better, he is at the end of his career and has no motivation or drive to really create anything or push for any innovations.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:53 am

There is not future for Cathay. It will end up being a local airline with short haul routes.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
There is not future for Cathay. It will end up being a local airline with short haul routes.
This. CX is now just another Chinese airline to avoid.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:25 am

I'm grateful for the extension but a bit more consistency would have been welcome. I have flown sectors and credited them specifically to meet the previously announced requalification criteria - now it turns out I needn't have bothered.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
I'm grateful for the extension but a bit more consistency would have been welcome. I have flown sectors and credited them specifically to meet the previously announced requalification criteria - now it turns out I needn't have bothered.
But you will get a special gift for doing so. Hopefully it is something more interesting than afternoon tea at the Upper House.
CX748, Alawyer and CBR922 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.