Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Are Qatar Business Class redemptions happening?

Old Sep 29, 22, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay, Singpapore Airlines, AA

In another thread on this forum, users are mentioning QR Business Class redemptions for 2023 showing as available, but then not completing. It was suggested that QR may be blacklisting Asiamiles. Has anyone been able to do a Qatar Business Class redemption for 2023 flights in the last few weeks?
Old Sep 29, 22, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I am not AM member.
But if you try for Biz award (I do) as QR member you find that they are becoming quite rare and usually at double miles level. Only standard award are available to partners, not x2.
Old Sep 29, 22, 8:13 am

It appears that QR has limited AM redemptions to within 249 days for economy and 119 days for business. You still see the flights (for now) but checking out fails.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Sep 29, 22, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay, Singpapore Airlines, AA
Originally Posted by RealtimeY View Post
It appears that QR has limited AM redemptions to within 249 days for economy and 119 days for business. You still see the flights (for now) but checking out fails.
Thanks for clarifying. Very sad as I could see availability in QR from Aus to Europe next September but it looks like that is just phantom inventory.
Old Oct 3, 22, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by jdmp View Post
Thanks for clarifying. Very sad as I could see availability in QR from Aus to Europe next September but it looks like that is just phantom inventory.
If you're in Aus and have sufficient points with Velocity, you may find that inventory is actually available to them. It's a bizarre situation, Qantas and Cathay seem to be limited to 119 days, but BA and Velocity can book full inventory afaik (not sure about other programs)
Old Oct 3, 22, 2:33 am

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by tdth99 View Post
If you're in Aus and have sufficient points with Velocity, you may find that inventory is actually available to them. It's a bizarre situation, Qantas and Cathay seem to be limited to 119 days, but BA and Velocity can book full inventory afaik (not sure about other programs)
I can understand (though disagree) for QF, but QR is even a shareholder of CX!
Old Oct 4, 22, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE. KLM PE.
As I have mentioned many times before,asking CX to book you on a redemption flight is being avoided if possible. CX is in deep S*** finacially and OW partners dont want to be on the hook for something they aint getting paid for when CX goes down like the Titanic.
Old Oct 4, 22, 4:39 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by benmitchell View Post
As I have mentioned many times before,asking CX to book you on a redemption flight is being avoided if possible. CX is in deep S*** finacially and OW partners dont want to be on the hook for something they aint getting paid for when CX goes down like the Titanic.
Besides the long hold and the lack of ability to use a stopover for transit, I had no problem helping a friend redeem an AM oneworld multi-carrier award on CX, AY, and JL 2 months ago.

I also had no problem redeeming a couple of short-haul CX flights myself last month, and CX also allowed my parents to move their U class seats on a cancelled CX long-haul flight to another one that didn't have U class availability. My parents were protected to the flight a day later, but they wanted the one a day earlier, and no questions asked.

This problem is QR-specific. There is no need to exaggerate.
Old Oct 4, 22, 4:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by benmitchell View Post
If CX folds will partner airlines honor CX award redemptions?
Old Oct 4, 22, 6:21 pm
THR

So looking at a flight BCN to SYD on QR using Asia Miles for 2.

They want to charge YQ of 5,696HKD per person - or $1,200 per passenger in fuel surcharges alone. This seems insanely expensive?
Old Oct 4, 22, 6:37 pm

Unfortunately this is pretty normal now, and not just QR.
Old Oct 5, 22, 6:47 am

I did manage to make 2 redemption bookings on QR earlier this year, and the second is scheduled for February. February onwards now drawing a blank on QR. When making a redemption booking late August for a flight early August, QR flights seemed to have disappeared. I managed to make a booking on JAL (BKK-LHR), but these also seem to have subsequesntly vanished. All that now seems to come up for LHR-BKK is either Sri Lankan or Royal Jordanian Airways.
Old Oct 9, 22, 11:23 pm

Made a redemption booking two weeks ago for QR 818 DOH to HKG on economy for November 2022 through American Advantage in economy (25,000 points). Tax was around US$60. Asia Miles not showing anything and would have been 27,000 points. Not sure what taxes+YQ would have been.
Old Oct 10, 22, 12:49 am

Programs: QR/SQ/VA Gold, QF Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tdth99 View Post
Yes if you have access to VA Velocity points, definitely have access to Q,R full inventory. They also have access to EY and SQ awards. It makes VA quite a competitive airline currency compared to QF.

You can blame QF for this as they went into bed with EK and refused to co-operate with QR. So QR returned salvo by forming a relationship with VA.
tdth99 likes this.

Search this Thread